Who's Online - 0 members and 200 guests

Perceprions of female athletes

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

HarryIcon...18-11-2012 @ 01:35 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Young women are mostly clueless about nutrition and exercise.

There is this obsession with cardio, detox, crash diets and starvation and they end up going nowhere. They get trapped in a vicious cycle and it basically consumes their whole life.

I can count just 1 woman who listened to advice I gave her about nutrition and exercise, what websites were good and what she should avoid.

I tried it with a number of women I knew over the years and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, and not a language they liked the sound of either.

You tell a woman to lift a barbell, 9/10 she will laugh in your face and believe the communal gym instructors regime about zumba and other s**t.
CuddlesIcon...18-11-2012 @ 12:26 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Harry said:Young women are mostly clueless about nutrition and exercise.

There is this obsession with cardio, detox, crash diets and starvation and they end up going nowhere. They get trapped in a vicious cycle and it basically consumes their whole life.

I can count just 1 woman who listened to advice I gave her about nutrition and exercise, what websites were good and what she should avoid.

I tried it with a number of women I knew over the years and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, and not a language they liked the sound of either.

You tell a woman to lift a barbell, 9/10 she will laugh in your face and believe the communal gym instructors regime about zumba and other s**t.

I don't think that's female specific at all. Most men haven't a clue and display a lot of the behaviour that you observe.

99% of the people who i have spoken to in gyms had no intention of listening to the advice that they often courted. It's just the way it is.
ChernobylIcon...18-11-2012 @ 21:38 
as seen on TV
Member 1512, 376 posts
JC said:Found this to be a really interesting article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/20304500

I found this para unfortunate, if not suprising:

"According to the Women's Sport and Fitness Foundation, one of the major reasons why so many girls and young women drop out of sport is that they don't like the way it makes them look.

In their report, Changing the Game for Girls, nearly half the secondary school girls they questioned said they thought that getting sweaty was not feminine."
ChernobylIcon...18-11-2012 @ 21:47 
as seen on TV
Member 1512, 376 posts
Stupid fingers!!
Anywho...im a female strength athlete, ive been met with a whole plethora of responses from men and women about what i do! I do remember some girls telling me they wouldnt want to look like me...ladies-it takes a whole load a training and cakes to look like me!! Before strongwoman i trained for physique and lifted fairly heavy!
Most guys i meet now are very positive about what i do...and that could be because i mostly hang around with guys what lift....
I have been shouted at to go home and cook for my husband and kids rather than b in the gym (ha ha i have neither) hmmm...maybe cos im always in the gym?!
HarryIcon...19-11-2012 @ 00:27 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Chernobyl said:Stupid fingers!!
Anywho...im a female strength athlete, ive been met with a whole plethora of responses from men and women about what i do! I do remember some girls telling me they wouldnt want to look like me...ladies-it takes a whole load a training and cakes to look like me!! Before strongwoman i trained for physique and lifted fairly heavy!
Most guys i meet now are very positive about what i do...and that could be because i mostly hang around with guys what lift....
I have been shouted at to go home and cook for my husband and kids rather than b in the gym (ha ha i have neither) hmmm...maybe cos im always in the gym?!

Maybe you should go buy your hubbie and kids a protein bar! Grin
HarryIcon...19-11-2012 @ 00:29 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
I don't think that's female specific at all. Most men haven't a clue and display a lot of the behaviour that you observe.
99% of the people who i have spoken to in gyms had no intention of listening to the advice that they often courted. It's just the way it is.

I know what you mean but with men you have a bigger chance of them listening or doing something but women? They're a brick wall too ingrained with the ideals of hollywood and glossy magazines touting the newest craze.

I couldn't possibly stay sane with a GF who moans about her weight and reads that s**t.
ChernobylIcon...19-11-2012 @ 12:17 
as seen on TV
Member 1512, 376 posts
Harry said:
Maybe you should go buy your hubbie and kids a protein bar! Grin

Cheerz! As i have neither kids nor husband ill eat the proteins myself!
CuddlesIcon...19-11-2012 @ 14:13 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Harry said:
I know what you mean but with men you have a bigger chance of them listening or doing something but women? They're a brick wall too ingrained with the ideals of hollywood and glossy magazines touting the newest craze.
I couldn't possibly stay sane with a GF who moans about her weight and reads that s**t.

Again, lots of girls couldnt stay sane going out with a guy who reads weightlifting magazines/books/websites and moans about their weight.....

My point is just that I dont think is a sex issue. It's a human nature issue.
SteveIcon...19-11-2012 @ 14:33 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Harry said:Young women are mostly clueless about nutrition and exercise.

Most people simply aren't interested in and don't enjoy barbells and weight training. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people line up to compete in marathons each year, with many more being turned disappointed. Perhaps people simply aren't naturally designed for strength work and actually prefer aerobic exercise.

Maybe humans really are "Born to Run"
CuddlesIcon...19-11-2012 @ 18:45 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
Most people simply aren't interested in and don't enjoy barbells and weight training. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people line up to compete in marathons each year, with many more being turned disappointed. Perhaps people simply aren't naturally designed for strength work and actually prefer aerobic exercise.
Maybe humans really are "Born to Run"

It's an interesting point. I think my instinctive reaction would have been that a lot of people aren't prepared to put in the hard work and go through the pain in order to get in good shape with weights. But, I know a hell of a lot of recreational runners/cyclists/swimmers and most of them have the ability and desire to really suffer for their goals.

I think some of us have it and some of us dont, but those that do exercise it in a range of different ways.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions