WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x5, 120x2

142.5x1xf

WGBP
100x2
100x4
100x7

Dips
BW+10kg x 2

thats it, another can of shyte... just was a hodge podge... the warm ups felt great and could have done a few more reps on each set but held back a little for the working set... but even though the weight felt good when I unracked it and I lowered it far better than I have before just couldnt get the drive from the bottom... huge mental block right now which is peeing me off a lot... back was fine but when I went to do dips felt it starting to give so had to stop them... only bug bear I have to get rid of in terms of niggles now is this freaking glute/lower back thing... its going but taking its time and if I sit on it the wrong way it feels like I have a pins and needles feeling but hot down my leg... I can put more pressure on it than the last couple of days but still not as much as I need, I can almost bend down now too which is nice... thinking it might have something to do with my sciatic nerve or something nerve wise... really sore and really really getting on my wick... when its healed though will be back to fighting fit... really need to work on this mental issue with bench, will have to find a gym I can work with people as I think someone handing it off to me may help... maybe drop the weight and just concentrate on getting reps with a lighter weight (120 certainly felt fine and I could have got a few more reps and a couple more sets out of that maybe)...

well off to massage my ar$e again... seems to be working out the kinks...
GreyphantomIcon...07-08-2012 @ 17:20 
TL:DR
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Squat day (basic)

Squats
WU 60x8, 100x6, 140x5, 180x3, 210x1, belt on 230x2

250x2x1

Thats it... just a basic squat day and will prob drop most assistance work now till after the comp... maybe throw in a few exercises here and there but will scale it down as have done prior and its paid off...

Squats - glutes area still playing up, wasnt sure what to expect from today tbh but just cant stop training, not now, just really really want to train soooo thought will just see how it goes... 60 was a bit sore but then things started to loosen up, 100 was easier and 140 better still 210 felt great but I had already decided to do just the single and 230 I did 2 cos the first was ok but not tight enough, saw those cool sparkly things in front of my eyes lol... put 250 up and just wanted to see if I could sink it... damn yeah I could really happy with the first so did a second to make sure and it was even better, legs and glutes feeling awesome now... till later I suppose lol... very good session and really happy, bench day tomorrow so bring it on...
GreyphantomIcon...08-08-2012 @ 16:29 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Bench day

ME bench
WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x6, 120x3

142.5x3x1 yeah baby

WGBP
100x8,7,6

Dislocations
bar x 3x20

oh yeah thats what she wrote baby... been a sticking point for weeks and now its just up so damn easy... @Dig @Chrisj22 followed your advice with the bigger jumps less sets and WGBP and it seems to have come together with some other advice from another chap re keeping back tight and lats engaged... throw that in with getting the leg drive right and timing spot on and bam up it went... low sets felt ridiculously easy... 100 felt so nice and 120 even felt really good so was pleased, could feel the mental bug setting in when I loaded 142.5 on and just stopped it by focussing on the technique pointers and form issues... made them all come together and that first single flew up, very surprised... started to talk myself out of the second but again stopped focussing on that and instead what went right... second went up easier so was damn near flying at this stage... was thinking dont want to jinx it by trying a 3rd and failing so thought fvck it, lets not fail and BAM went up, more of a struggle but still went up well... all with a nice pause at the bottom (which to be fair I am not sure was planned lol)... really happy with this...

the WGBP went well, cannot believe I got so many reps with a wide grip... felt really good and chest was well fried after... dislocations went well and now I am fvcked lol... feel pretty dman awesome lol...

Dig and Chris, really appreciate your words of wisdom, helped no end and now lets see what I can do with it...
GreyphantomIcon...10-08-2012 @ 17:46 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Deadlift day

Deads
WU 120x10, 170x8, 200x5, 230x3

260x5

DE deads
200x3x3

Chins
BW+10kg x 4+1p, x5

BOR
135x2x5

Ooooooooh now that wasnt nice... after talking with Dig he came up with a game plan for my deadlift day in the run up to the comp... this was the first day... 260 for 5 was the target, target sighted, target destroyed... along with GP lol... I knew I would get it but was not sure how much I would have to grind them out... as it turns out the first 4 were actually not very hard, the 5th was harder but didnt have to grind it like I thought I would... very pleased, very nauseus and believe I might have called Dig a few names back pump at the end was huge... not only from deads but then chins and bor felt really hard, didnt help the garage was about 2 million degrees today either, came out and my boy asked if I had a pool in there and if so why couldnt they use it

Really pleased with todays workout... bit tired as sleep is not great lately (mainly due to it being far too short lol) but got it... felt strong and I have started to use a sequence of words to help me get into the zone thinking of what I need to do to get that bar up... oh and incidentally I know what is inside an old blood blister now as mine opened doing deads... nothing that purply stuff beneath the skin is just like a stain... go figure... next weeks target well in sight and will be destroyed...
GreyphantomIcon...14-08-2012 @ 17:29 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Squat day

ME squat
WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6, 180x4, 210x1 belt on 235x1

260xNP (nearly parallel)

260xf

DE Squat
140x3x3

ooooh it was warm, started sweating my pants off even before the first warm up set... today squats felt really good, the problem with my glute/sciatic nerve (at a guess) is pretty much gone and squats were nice and deep up to the 260... 235 felt very comfortable so was really happy... whacked on 260 and the first one I kind of wimped out as felt my glute tighten/get sore just above parallel and started up before hitting it... so thought bugger it will go for a second... the second at 260 was really deep and well below parallel, got half way up when things stopped, really tried for the extra couple of ounces of push to get it past that point but then it just started sliding down... at this point I am praising the damn safeties and can catagorically state they are awesome and even though I should be a bit disappointed I missed the second and didnt quite get depth on the first I am pretty happy that I got that low and managed to come up out of the hole... the first was me talking myself out of pushing it too hard due to the fear of further injury when I should have just mtfu and done it... lesson learned Doug Young...

The speed squats were good although the first set I didnt push hard or fast enough... second two sets were much better... man today was hot... think I lost a few lbs just in sweat lol... over all happy that things are starting to come together vis a vis injury/niggles and weight... will nail that next week for sure and then see from there...
GreyphantomIcon...15-08-2012 @ 17:13 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Bench day

ME bench
WU 60x11, 85x8, 105x5, 125x2

145x1
145xf

WGBP
105x5, x4, x5

Dislocations
bar x 3x20

oooh yeah thats the cookie right there... legs are fvcked today, glutes hams and quads sore from yesterday... felt tired but not overly so... thought today or tomorrow for bench... mmm sod it today... glad I did, warm ups I added 5kg to after the first set as I was targetting 145 today... never done it before in the gym only on the platform... warm ups felt good and strong... 125 went up nice and easy up to 145... oh yeah thats the stuff... was much better and faster than the one I got in the comp and felt nice and strong... the second I cocked up a bit as just lost focus and didnt get the leg drive timed right doh... but happy with the 145 @Dig and @Chrisj22 the bigger jumps def working guys many thanks for that suggestion and Dig the widegrip bench and narrower grip is working too mate...

WGBP - went up 5kg on this and they felt a bit harder than last week... arms were sore and legs werent much better... got out a few good sets and really felt it in my chest... liking these a lot...

Dislocations - oh yeah love these at the end of the workout... nice stretch through the chest and shoulders and feels so good...

all in all pretty pleased today... more progress made and more to be made... onward and upward...
GreyphantomIcon...17-08-2012 @ 18:32 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Deadlift day

Deads
WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x4, 250x2

280x2+1p

DE deads

200x3x3

thats it... @Dig set me a target of 280 for 3 this week and damn if I didnt try... got the first two ok the third I got to just above my knees and just didnt drive the hips through, looking back I should have got it, just didnt try hard enough and when I felt my chest starting to strain a bit just stopped... on one hand I am disappointed I missed the target on the other I am happy I got the 2 quite comfortably and that the third should have been lol... hands are in bits though, back is telling me all sorts of things and calling me all sorts of names lol... the fact that the last couple of days have been feeling meh and a bit fluey (if thats a word) makes it all the more better I got that two and a bit... so will take that forward to the open and next week he has set me speed work only so a light 2 or 3 singles at 200 just concentrating on the speed and technique... no more heavy deads till the comp now... just squats and bench mon and wed then the speed work thu (wedding friday) and thats all she wrote... looking forward to the comp... game face firmly on...
GreyphantomIcon...21-08-2012 @ 23:38 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Squats day

Squats
WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6, 180x4, 210x1 belt on 235x1, 235x1

260xnp

man today was hard, really hard, the whole day not just the training... no sleep really last night, so hot and so muggy, sweating like a mother all night and when I managed to go to sleep woke up boiling even more and that was cos the mrs had put the duvet on me... WTF... still after work was feeling semi awake and needed to put in a solid squat session... got to the 210 and it felt heavy tbh... went deep though and felt good form wise... 235 felt ok but I didnt keep it as tight as I like so to make sure I did another and bam it went down nice and deep and felt tight and good all the way through... 260 was a hail mary pass really... prob shouldnt have tried it but "I would rather try and fail, than fail to try" so did one, got to a couple of inches above parallel again... just couldnt get lower as thought it wasnt going to come back up... probably right today tbh... but felt not as heavy as I thought esp after that 235... last heavy squats day before the comp, will set openers next week with my bench... thats monday as I have found getting them in that day helps keep me good in those two lifts... deads is another matter though... bench tomorrow... last heavy session for that too...
GreyphantomIcon...22-08-2012 @ 16:58 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Bench day

Bench
WU 60x10, 85x8, 110x5, 130x2

147.5xf

ok today I am really feeling the training hitting my body hard... its starting to tell me time to back off which is lucky that I have a week and a half of light or no training before the comp... going to sleep, rest and take s**t loads of bcaa's, vits and supps to help with cns recovery and get this old body into fighting shape... sets up to 130 were good, feeling great in fact, 110 felt light and 130 flew up... felt a slight twinge in my elbow on 130 and thought keep the form good and try for 147.5 for a PR... didnt feel too heavy unracking it which was a good start brought it down to my chest and started the drive up and it came off the chest ok but then elbow gave way and it came crashing down again... sigh... its there though and maybe more... so resting it up now and just going to give it all come the comp...

training till comp is just light deads, then set openers for squats and bench on monday...
GreyphantomIcon...03-09-2012 @ 18:16 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Havent been on in a while just keeping my head down during prep but had the mrs home so was spending a lot of time with her and the kids doing family stuff...

lead up to the comp was really good, come the last week I felt very good and very strong and had huge hopes for the numbers I had targeted... on the friday before however woke up with a really stiff and sore back... erectors were rock hard and had to spend a bit of time on them trying to get them to release but it took a while... thought had done the trick but that afternoon I had a damn painful hip that I thought was the result of sitting in the car for a long journey... no such luck, it got steadily worse and it was hard to walk properly... brilliant I thought... come saturday went to weigh in and got a few laughs about needing a zimmer etc lol... just stretched it out and exercised it all day and got some wonderful pain killers and tiger balm to help out... by the afternoon I could do body weight squats and it felt comfortable...

the morning of the comp I was up bright and early, got my bits together took a handful of painkillers and made my way to the event. By the time I got there things were feeling ok, tiger balm on the area and tried a few light squats at 60kg not a problem, felt ok... bit of pain but nothing to untoward... warm up went pretty ok and after another handfull of pain killers got to 215 for an easy two... that was it till the main event the 110 class was up first as it was the biggest... opeing squat was 230kg and that went well but right on parallel so I really needed more depth to sink it properly... 245 next attempt but didnt get low enough and I knew it, was thinking too much of the hip... next attempt 245 again and it was nice and low but on the way up the hip gave and I should probably get the best gurning face of the comp for the pic my wife took bless her lol... so that was squats and on to bench...

Bench was ok as didnt really need to use the hip at all... warm ups went well enough and my opener of 135kg went well, felt light tbh... the second attempt I made a boo boo... when I lift certain people are in my head to help with pointers or markers for the lift eg @Tatty is there on squats telling me to concentrate on the head judge and ignore the mono lift arms when they move... Dave Beattie is there telling me to spread my knees and drive with chest and head... on the bench of late its been @Dig and another friend who have helped me get some numbers up there... however on the second attempt at bench I just didnt have them switched on and so didnt set up right and forgot so many things... didnt make the lift... for the third attempt I switched them on and bam it went up nice and easy... if only I had done that on the second lol...

Deadlifts were a bit of a worry tbh as I had trouble getting down to the bar to make the lift... but a few more painkillers (should have taken earlier as they didnt really kick in till after the event dammit lol) and it was ok... warm ups went well and felt really good and so on... then we found out that there was to be a rather long gap between the last lot of bench and our class deadlifts... sooo we had to hold the warm up for a bit but still felt ok... first lift 280 went well, and easier than the last warm up, second lift of 300 flew up and felt great, best yet tbh and set a new brit masters record... happy with that I set the next lift at 312.5 to attempt a brit masters and open record and better yet a world masters record... alas it was not to be... dammit... came off the floor ok but just couldnt get the hips to engage and lift it all the way up... miffed for sure... sigh....

on the whole I loved the day, not just the lifting but also the company, so many good people all there helping each other out and just enjoying the day... but was disappointed that all the preparation and work was not realised due to a stupid niggle... the mrs didnt want me to lift at all but I had to try, course today I cant walk at all and am thinking she might have had a point, but you have to try right

Squat 230
Bench 145
Deadlift 300
Total 675

so equalled a couple of pb's from prev comps and my total record too... if only though... if only
GreyphantomIcon...13-09-2012 @ 16:51 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Squats and bench

Squats
WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6

180x3

Bench
WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x5

120x2x3

wow lifting is the best thing ever... EVER... first day back since the open and as soon as I opened the doors to the gym the smell of metal, rubber and chalk and leather wafted out and it was AWESOME... leg is feeling pretty good, still have to stretch it out atm as its a bit tight in places and sore in others but squatting bw was no problem and even felt good...

Squats - oh mother of god I love these... really really concentrated on form today to make sure nothing was going to go wrong and it felt fantastic... stopped at 180 due to wimp out moment as the second rep the leg twinged a bit and I did one more just to make sure and yep it twinged again so erred on the side of caution and stopped it there but it felt great... no belt no safeties and I had loads more there... was thinking of doing 200 but just want to make sure its all healed before pushing too much... cannot wait till next squat day...

Bench - my biggest worry tbh as usually my strength bombs something rotten very quickly on this ex... however today it felt really good, so good that I managed 2 sets of 3 at 120 something I have not done before I believe... again kept it light and glad I did as by the time I got to 120 I was feeling a trifle queasy... after second set of 120 I def had to concentrate on keeping my head in the game and not lose my lunch and I was NOT pushing that hard today... prob something I ate no doubt...

so great getting back into it albeit nice and slowly... felt strong and stable and cannot wait to push it some more... using what Dig has taught me I am going to keep a similar program going and see where it takes me... oh yeah this is how life should feel...
GreyphantomIcon...14-09-2012 @ 19:04 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Deadlifts

Deadlifts
WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x4

240x2x3

Chins
BWx7, x6

you know youre doing deadlifts when you ripp alll the skin of your shins... oh yeah, the sting of freedom... the tears of a big nancy jumping around cos he ripped the skin off his shins

Deadlifts - bit tired today and legs/back a bit weary from yesterday so I kept it light... just worked up to 2 sets of 3 at 240... first set felt a little off... second much better and more on form... second set was faster off the floor and just felt tighter... going to up the weight next week and work on the speed off the floor, not going max out on this ex as often as the past, prob try a max lift every 3rd week or so... the other two weeks will work on speed and form... but oh so glad to do these again, leg/hip felt totally fine...

Chins - went way better than expected tbh and I am pretty sure I could have done an extra rep or two on both sets but didnt push so hard... very happy though... looking to add weight again next week...

overall felt really good and so happy to be in the iron room again...
GreyphantomIcon...20-09-2012 @ 17:50 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Squats

WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6, 180x3

200x2x2

SLDL
100x8
120x2x8

oooooooohhhh... why did I do it... cos it has to be done is the reply... leg felt awesome on the squats... not a twinge or problem at all, now its just getting my head round the fact that it works fine now and no problems are there anymore... found out 2 things for sure 1) squatting is not fun with a sleep deprivation headache and 2) dropping too fast with 200kg across your back is not cool... but catching it and getting it back up to make the rep is pretty neat lol...

Squats - felt great, nice and tight and really balanced... easy up to 200 and felt good with my leg... will up this next week some more and see how it goes... no belt being used yet so got a bit more in there easy... felt a bit sick after squats as did not leave a lot of rest time between sets...

SLDL - was touch and go as to whether I would do these and pleased I did but glutes and hams are not so much... just kept it light mainly to see how it felt on the hip/leg and its all good... so will up this next week too and add in a couple of other exercises...

all in all a good session but def felt knackered during and after... not much sleep lately and its starting to make an impact... loads going on in life that needs to reach a conclusion asap so hopefully that will sort out by next week and can then concentrate on having fun and sleeping... eating has been up and down and full of sh1te too... so will have to get that back on an even keel... legs truly feel fvcked now... going to hobble off and cry... actually fvck it staying here and just doing it here
GreyphantomIcon...21-09-2012 @ 19:22 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Bench

ME bench
WU 60x10, 80x10, 100x5

125x2x3

WGBP
100x2x6, 1x4+1p

Dips
BWx11, 8+1p, 7

Dislocations
Barx3x20

oh god I needed this today, a great workout and it just all clicked and felt fantastic...

Bench - every set every rep felt tight and good... best numbers yet at 125 for 2 sets of 3, not done that before... 2nd set felt better than the first and just had everything in place... really pleased and looking for more progress here...

WGBP - oh this is such a great addition @Dig awesome suggestion mate many thanks... just feels so weird but so good at the same time... really feel the chest working...

Dips - just bw but was really surprised that it felt so easy... nice and low and strong on the up... going to up the weight next week...

Dislocations - oh god these hurt... well not hurt but really feel them working me hard...

great session and something to work from... going to work on some higher rep stuff rather than singles for now... will give me some time to work out a program for my next max effort wave... and also some time for all my joints and soft bits to strengthen lol...
GreyphantomIcon...25-09-2012 @ 18:24 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Squats

ME squats
WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6, 180x4
*belt on
220x2x3

GM
100x8, 110x2x6

SLDL
140x2x7, 1x5

oooooouuuucccchhhh... oh all thats good and holy my posterior chain is about to strangle me, its well and truly fragged... oh but in such a gooood way lol...

squats - felt really good today, nice and tidy and strong from the bottom... only hiccup was the last rep of the second set of 220 was very ropey... on the 2nd rep of the last set I was seeing stars... (note to self dont forget to breath dammit lol)... but felt really good... legs felt strong and no problems at all...

GM - felt really good surprisingly... but last set was a bit of a struggle and then the back got stiff and pumped... ouch... but still not too bad and felt happy with these

SLDL - not sure how these would go but jumped in and it felt really good... smooth and quick and then very painful... couldnt sit or stand or stay still or move... wow felt great...

very pleased with todays training... felt tired and getting the dreaded manflu... even though the kids have it and they call it a "cold" its really the dreaded manflu... onward and upward...

12345678910 ... ... 4950515253545556575859

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions