REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 383 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNewbie

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

samevansIcon...13-01-2012 @ 17:32 
just got PM'd
Member 1945, 685 posts
first comp i did, i had a 185 kilo dead, a 145 kilo squat and a 65kilo strict and came mid table, the test is how good you are at events mate, also if i were you i woudln't be keeping carbs down
NoClueIcon...14-01-2012 @ 15:42 
I litrally have no clue
Member 3298, 109 posts
SQ 165, BP 145, DL 210
520.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
I read alot about people exceeding their PB by quite a sum in competition, I guess its the atmosphere etc
haydnwardIcon...15-01-2012 @ 12:23 
Member 3148, 473 posts
SQ 180, BP 145, DL 210
535.0 kgs @ 87kgs UnEq
NoClue said:Hi Guys

Been a big fan of strongman for an age and mucked around in the gym for a while on and off (now 34).

But my new years resolution is to get serious and maybe try and get to a standard good enough to enter a local comp.

From what I read I need to be able to Dead 220, squat 180 and shoulder press 120 to really be able o completw in the lowest entry level, does that sound about right?

I have always done the more lets say poser type excercises before and mostly on machines, but recently started dealdifts,squats and should press in mind for my goal.

So at 6,3 and 17 stone (prob 15.5 lean rest blubber lol) I currently dead 185kg (no wearing belt at mo but should start right?) my squat is appaling as I have ignored legs to long as guys do so 130kg is current max on a Smiths machine (although I max out the horizontal leg press machine a 220kg for 10+ reps no prob but guess thats alot easier) and have weak shoulders with a 80kg max standing with a bar. Bench is 120 but not really tried for a single PB yet.

So my plan was to train 3 times a week, doing a on off of 100% 1 rep workouts one week and 50% for reps following weelk (read this on here somewhere).

Food wise I have bene increasingf protein, keeping carbs down and taking cod liver, creatine and l glutamine with ammino acids.

So basically am I on the right track and what tips do you have (or as I can see that sub 90kg guys are doign more than me on here in 20' should I just enjoy training and forget comps? lol)

Cheers!

welcome buddy!!!

im in a simular boat, i started strongman training in november and im entered into 4 comps this year, 2 of them novice, 2 of them are serious.
i know im not geting anywhere decent or close to podium in the 2 serious ones but if you've only just started the key is to get in, have fun and set pb's for yourself. i personaly am not bothered in my serious shows if i come last, as long as i set 2-3 (hopfuly more) pb's for myself i will be happy. everyone has to start somewhere, as long as you give it all you can no one can say anythign really.

key to remember, doesnt matter how much of a johnny big bolocks people may think they are, theres always 5+ people bigger and stronger than them.
listen to critism and advice as ive found a good 95% of people on ehre are helpful and will be straight with you. it's all a learning curve, just make sure you enjoy it Happy

try atleast one competition, compete at 105 so work alitle on imporving your stenght and your current body composition to fit the category and keep a detailed journal (either privatly or on here, or both) so you can keep track of your progress: what your stronger at, whats your weakness, what pb's your setting etc etc.
NoClueIcon...15-01-2012 @ 22:41 
I litrally have no clue
Member 3298, 109 posts
SQ 165, BP 145, DL 210
520.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Cheers mate, all encouraging stuff, Il have a look around and see what novice comps I can find

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNewbie
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions