My Powerlifting journey

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 4950515253545556575859

GreyphantomIcon...21-12-2011 @ 06:57 
TL:DR
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Big_Vess said:Following your journal, well done at the worlds. do you do any other upper body work to assit the benching??

thanks mate... I did do some shoulder and tri work, didnt do it for a while but now am starting it up again to get those numbers up... I also do some back and bi work on deadlift day... my main problem is if pushed for time I tend to forgoe that assistant work and I need to be more consistant with it...
jstarIcon...21-12-2011 @ 07:07 
Member 2251, 130 posts
SQ 260, BP 200, DL 300
760.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
get doing some heavy tricep stuff cg bench really helped my bench
GreyphantomIcon...21-12-2011 @ 16:23 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
jstar said:get doing some heavy tricep stuff cg bench really helped my bench

yeah have added that in J... that and some extra shoulder stuff and dips too I think... cheers mate...
GreyphantomIcon...21-12-2011 @ 16:24 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 1

ME Squats
WU 60x12, 100x10, 140x7, 180x4, 210x1

245x3x1

Stand ups 275x3x10secs

DE Deads
WU 100x5

160x4x4

SLDL
130x2x10, 1x2

Well have felt like crap the last couple of days... didnt want to train today but to stay on track I had too so mtfu and got on with it... appetite is still there but not sure what I feel like eating... sigh...

Squats - warm ups felt awesome, very easy and tight and even the 210 felt ON... as they felt good thought bugger it and went to 245 for the singles... first was ok but not sure about depth if totally honest, it felt good but was a bit scrappy... second was lower and tighter, managed to keep the chest up well and back very tight, well pleased, but the third was the best... tight all the way down, well under control and went that little bit lower to make sure, which for sure made it harder coming up but I got it in... very happy about that... since it all felt so good I thought I would try to get some real weight on my back and loaded another 30kg on the bar to make it 275kg and just lifted it off the rack and held it for 10secs... no problems kept tight and thats it... next week will try to walk it out... well pleased with todays efforts...

Deads - oh today was so ON... did the 4 sets in like 5 mins... not sure why but even though head full of cold I just felt like caning it... 160 just flew up and felt like nothing... very comfortable and felt great breaking it from the floor... my iron plates are smaller than regulation too so they were like deficits really... again very pleased...

SLDL - put some weight on and upped the reps this week... first two sets felt easy and hams and glutes got thrashed... last set 2nd rep felt my back pull... owie... but nothing too serious but enough to make me stop there...

So loved todays workout... could do workouts like today all year long... really on track for the end of Jan...
GreyphantomIcon...24-12-2011 @ 10:58 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 2

ME Bench
WU 60x12, 80x10, 100x7, 120x2

130x3x1

DE squats
WU 100x5, 130x5

160x2x4, 1x1

Well the workout started really well... bench felt great, tight and the new position on the bench is working a treat, feels much more in control and the drive was working brilliantly... I could have gone higher re the weight but kept my numbers as per the plan... very happy with this today...

squats well... started great, felt tight and the power from the hole was fine... very deep (couldnt go any lower actually) and felt the movement all the way through... first set was excellent, back didnt complain much at all... second was still pretty good with the back feeling it but not in a bad way... till the third set, first rep went down and then the back was a screaming mess of pain... stupid back... if the weight hadnt been so light I would have had to dump it as it was I made the rep and racked it before collapsing in a heap... after a minute it was fine again but I decided to leave it there... later on it was fine again... no twinges or anything, bit tight this morning but still ok... as its deads day it should proove interesting... tbh I dont feel anything when in the dead position (yes been trying it out all night and this morning lol)... have started some new supps which hopefully will deal with this little niggle in double quick time... certainly dont want it to hinder anything for the 30th...!!!
GreyphantomIcon...28-12-2011 @ 21:26 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 2

ME Bench
WU 60x12, 80x10, 100x7, 120x2

135x1xf
100x9

DE Squats
WU 100x5, 130x5

160x4x4

Seated Sh Press
50x10, 55x1x8 1x7

CGBP
70x2x10, 1x8

Dislocations
Towelx3x25

Woo hoo, yeah baby, full workout and felt awesome... pure awesome... not one whisper of a twinge from the back and it felt great...

Bench - sigh, still my achilles heal in a big way... warm up felt fantastic... 120 felt so tight and strong I was very happy... 135 came down too slow I think and only got it to about 2 inches off the chest before I just lost it... real problem now and need to work on this for the new year, might incorporate some rack starts (not sure if thats what its called but where you have the bar just above the chest resting on the safeties or the rack and start from the bottom of the movement)... hopefully the shoulder and tricep work I am building into the workouts will help as well...

Squats - how awesome were these today... so tight, couldnt get them any lower and the drive up was just great... felt very light and strong... cannot wait till next ME squat day... and best thing was no problem at all from the back, no hint of the injury... yes...

Sh press - another weak area for me but felt very comfortable today, shaky on the last reps of the last set but still felt it well in the shoulders, will up the weight next week and keep pushing...

CGBP - again this felt really good compared to last week... really strong and felt it much more in the tris... loved it...

Dislocations - all thats good and holy, these hurt tonight... up to 25 reps and really felt them deep... very hurty... but good hurty...

really happy with today, bench not withstanding of course, as first workout that I could do fully without having to stop or abandoning all together... back felt good and strong and soooo psyched about fridays workout now as its Dead day... bring it...
GreyphantomIcon...31-12-2011 @ 17:23 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 3

ME Deads
WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x4, 250x2, 275x1

290x1x1
300x1x1
310x2xf

DE bench
WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x5

110x3x3

Rows
110x3x8

Yeah baby got the 300 on the last training day of the year, reached my target for deads (and think squats too but will have to check back to confirm)...

Met with some friends and then headed off to Monster gym... oh my GOD what a gym... it has everything... totally awesome place to train and very motivational... went over some squat pointers with some of the friends I was there with and then went on to get my dead session done.

Deads - just felt so on today... warm ups went well and 275 flew up so I went for 300... loaded the bar and did my first single... coming off the floor it felt fantastic, and just so good, till it got to mid thigh and the 5kg weights on either side fell off and made it a 290 pull... lol... not deterred I changed the plates to some 25kg ones to get the collars on too so no more plates fell off... 300 went up nice and easy... felt very good and strong through the whole lift... talking with Merat I decided to try 310... first rep got to my knees and just couldnt fire my hips through... 2nd went pretty much the same... but I got 300kg for a good rep and am very happy with that...

Bench - went well and was comfortable... had some soreness from wednesdays training but nothing too bad...

Rows - felt good and reps were solid... back certainly feeling it today...

really good and productive workout today... stoked I got the 300 and really good to meet up with some good people for a great day...
GreyphantomIcon...04-01-2012 @ 17:33 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 1

ME squat
WU 70x10, 110x8, 150x5, 190x3, 220x1

250x1np
250x1xf

DE deads
WU 110x6

180x4x3

SLDL
140x3x8

OOOOooouuuuccchhhh....

Squats - went really well up to 250... 220 felt tight and very comfortable... but 250, while feeling great taking the weight, getting it to parallel proved to be a bit difficult, spots in front of eyes and stuff... the second rep again felt great taking it out of the rack and got it to parallel but couldnt get it back up, on the plus side I went atg with 250kg lmao...

Deads - felt great but legs werent in it at all, worked on firing the hips through quicker... all good here...

SLDL - this is what I injured myself with and was a bit tentative... upped the weight a bit but lowered the reps... felt really good but man the legs were hurting by this stage... all 3 sets done and felt good...

wanted to get more on the squats this week but happy enough with how they went given its been a couple of weeks and I couldnt squat due to back being injured last week... legs in bits atm, but in a good way...
GreyphantomIcon...05-01-2012 @ 17:55 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 2

ME bench
WU 70x10, 90x8, 110x5, 125x2

135x2xf

Rack Press
70x8, 80x2x8

Sh Press
60x2x6

Lying tricep ext
30x10
40x2x6+1partial

Dislocations
towelx3x25

oh jebus my chest hurts... it feels like someone is inside it spreading it apart side to side and up and down and I think even front to back...

Bench - all the lower weights felt fantastic, really good pressing and very comfortable... got to 135 and nope just wasnt in it at all... its really starting to p1ss me off something rotten but I am working on it... by 125kg my chest was feeling really good...

Rack press - this is new, started at the bottom of the bench press movement with the bar resting on the safeties... I suck from the bottom of the press so think this will help... it certainly felt different and by the 3rd set my chest felt in bits...

press - not as good as I had hoped... another weakness to work on...

lying tricep ext - wow this felt great, really got into my tris and worked them well...

Dislocations - always feel great and feels like they loosen up the shoulders after benching... am going to invest in a broomstick to make them harder and then add weight to that to see how that works...
GreyphantomIcon...08-01-2012 @ 16:44 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 3

ME Deads
WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x4, 250x2

275x1x1, 1xf

Chins
BWx1x5, 2x6

BOR
120x3x8

Nice little workout today (well Saturday) and felt pretty good... didnt get as much on the deads as I had wanted... legs feeling tight and back a little tender...

Deads - warm up sets felt great and very quick off the ground... got to 275 and it felt hard on the first rep but couldnt lock the second single out... over all happy enough but still need to work on them to get my next magic number...

Chins - felt quite easy but wussed out on the last 2 or 3 reps I should have done... on all sets...

BOR - very nice and tight, felt the movement through the whole range and back was in bits by the end of these...

Over all as I said great little workout even if I didnt get the top numbers this time round but then this close to the comp I am not going to push it too hard (well this week anyway)... I left DE bench out this week as chest was still tight and a bit sore from the other day... chins felt the easiest they have ever... a lot of my problem is the drive/power from the bottom of the hang... I just wasnt developing enough of it... rectified and will build on that now... only 3 weeks till the comp now and that means 2 lots of workout for each lift and then setting the openers...
GreyphantomIcon...10-01-2012 @ 18:01 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 1

ME squats
WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6, 180x4, 210x2, 230x1

250x2x1

DE deads
WU 100x5, 140x5

180x4x3

SLDL
150x1x6, 2x7

oooooouuuuucccchhhhhhh

Squats - wow felt these all the way through, really worked on maintaining form keeping it all the way through the movement and it proved to be just as much a mental exercise as physical... warm ups felt great and tight and depth at 180 was great... 230 felt really good and very comfortable, most comfortable its felt for a while... 250 was awesome, first rep felt really good and deep, hams and glutes activated nicely at the bottom and just felt it all the way up... 2nd single was ok if I am to be completely honest it was only just parallel but still felt the hams and glutes which I dont if its too high... first time in a long time I have had to take a breather to stop from throwing up here too... many breaths taken... lol

Deads - worked on getting the hips through and its coming together nicely... 180 felt awesomely easy... was really feeling it by the end though...

SLDL - oh all thats good and holy by this time I just wanted to curl up... I know not much volume but today the form was spot on and I was feeling each and every rep... in so much after even the first set I couldnt sit but I couldnt really stand either...lol...

Wow this has been one of the best squat days ever... legs are cramping as I sit (well were been rubbing them furiously lol) and feeling them really well...
GreyphantomIcon...12-01-2012 @ 18:37 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 2

ME bench
70x10, 90x8, 110x5, 125x2

135x1xf

Rack press
90x7+1p

DE squats
WU 100x5, 140x5

180x3x3

dislocations
Towel x 3 x 25

thats all folks... hard one today... was feeling ok before hand, didnt get much sleep but still felt ok... I did have a niggle in my left side collar bone but didnt think too much of it... which is always silly...

Bench - first couple of warm up sets felt ok... 110 I started to feel a pain in my collar bone but could still lift fine, 125 went up easy for two feeling very good except for that flaming collar bone... was starting to really hurt and I though what the hell didnt want to wuss out so tried 135kg... nope, wasnt too bad under load but on the drive up (and it started going so I was feeling good) collar bone really hurt so I dropped the weight...

Rack press - sooo tried rack pressing... got 7 full presses out on the first set then just couldnt quite get the last rep and again the collar bone really hurt... upper pec felt tight but not really sore just along my collar bone... I think I have been sleeping on it funny or something... just hope its a simple fix...

Squats - was a bit hard getting under the bar at first but by the time I got to the main sets it felt ok and good deep reps... last set though my left freaking quad twinged... just not my fricking day...

dislocations - oh yeah, felt things relax and release out on these...

going to see how this collar bone thing goes but hoping its just a case of sleeping on it funny and then exacerbating it through training... legs feeling it but feel good so thats a plus... weight is just over 110kg at 111 or thereabouts so wont have a problem dropping under my weight for the comp... looking forward to taking some time off the heavy stuff if I am to be totally honest to recover and rest up...
GreyphantomIcon...14-01-2012 @ 17:21 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 3

ME Deads
WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x4, 250x2

280x1

DE bench
Not done

Chins
BWx7, 6+1p, 5+1p

BOR
130x3x8

was not sure I was going to make today... but took a double dose of MTFU and just got into it...

Deads - was worried about shoulder and quad hampering my lifting on this but it turned out to be pretty ok... didnt feel either till about 250 and they went up with ease... went to 280 and again lifted it fine but felt both my quad and shoulder start to have a moan so I left it at that... however very encouraged by the way they went today, just so good off the floor and smooth up to lock out... was going to try 300 again but didnt want to tempt fate so this is my last heavy session before the comp, next sat I will set my opener for deads and that will be that till I compete... very happy though

Bench - sacked it off as I just didnt want to risk stuffing my shoulder any more as its recovering nicely at the moment, I have upped my cissus intake and that seems to be helping no end...

Chins - felt good and I am now starting to get used to the form/technique... only downside today was I felt my shoulder/collar bone hurting at the bottom of the movement... not as in becoming more injured just letting me know its having a time of it... still these are getting better...

BOR - just felt on... very good and felt it in my back amazingly... liking these a lot right now...

Over all a good work out... really happy with the way deads are going and hoping to hit some good numbers for the comp... pleased with how well the niggles are recovering and should be all good in a few days... spent the morning fixing our fence (had to replace one of the posts) so thats cardio done then lol...
GreyphantomIcon...16-01-2012 @ 15:41 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 1

ME Squats
WU 60x12, 100x9, 140x6, 180x4, 210x2, 230x1

250x1x1, 1xnp

thats it... short and sweet today, was not even sure I was going to train as last night was horrible... went to bed feeling like I was going to throw up all over the place, started to feel better after lying there for a bit but woke up again at about midnight and just felt awful, weak, trembly and increadibly nauseus... managed to hold it in and then sat up in bed to see if I couldnt shake it off... thought I had been sitting up for about 5 mins when I looked at the clock an hour had passed lol... feeling much better then so lay down and slept like a baby till up at 5...

still not great tummy wise but managed to get some food in and thought bugger it with the sports massage tomorrow and the comp just round the corner have to train... didnt expect too much and it was a pleasant surprise for the most part... warm ups felt fantastic and tight... one thing I am learning is to take my time in the set up... if I do that I can generally sink it to depth and get a nice tight base to squat from... I rush it and its just all over the place... 230 felt really good, so was very happy... first single at 250 felt good but wasnt that happy with the rise from the hole... felt a bit shakey... had to sit a while after this as felt ill... took a shot of MTFU juice and went for another single... not good as I rushed it.... was going to film it, set the camera (phone) up and thought brill can see how I go but as I started the damn thing fell off the bench lol... so all the footage I got is spinning walls and me shouting "noooooo depth dammit"... lmao...

thats my last heavy squat session till the comp... next week (prob monday) is when I set my openers... still feeling a bit squeemish now...
GreyphantomIcon...19-01-2012 @ 18:13 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins Day 2 (really just bench day)

ME bench
WU 70x12, 90x9, 110x5, 125x2

135x1
140xf

Dislocations
standard bar (7kg thereabouts) x 3 x 15

woot... went really well, way better than previous sessions... missed the 140 but that was mainly due to my shoulder/collar bone tightening up and I didnt want to push too hard and re do anything fixed by the rest and rehab of the sports massage the other day...

bench - oh now this is how its supposed to feel... was a bit worried re the injury but it didnt give me any problems till 140kg... 125 pretty much flew up, had to check the bar was loaded right actually lol... 135 which is where I have been stalling the last couple of weeks or so went up really easily and I was so happy at this stage, thought 140 would be a good next step to equal my pb... unracked, held at top and then lowered, as it got to the chest I could feel my collar bone getting tight and the drive just didnt happen... but good news is that it feels fine after...

Dislocations - upgraded to a bar from a towel this week, was a standard bar so weighed about 7kg or so... huge difference in the movement, towel has so much give in it where the bar doesnt... felt it much more in the shoulders and it is good...

felt really good today and really happy with the bench, one thing I did do was bring my hands in on the bar, so instead of my forefinger being on the ring I had my little finger on the ring... felt it more in my chest... and it could be coincidence but the bar felt easier to get up... once the shoulder is fully functional I will blast past my previous pb... bring it on...!!

12345678910 ... ... 4950515253545556575859

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions