My Powerlifting journey

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

12345678910 ... ... 4950515253545556575859

GreyphantomIcon...31-03-2017 @ 21:38 
TL:DR
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 3 Or the day that I forgot everything that would help me bench properly...

Squats
WU 70x2x5, 100x5, 130x3, 160x3, 180x2

192.5x5x2

GHR
BW+10x8
BW+5x10
BWx10

Bench
WU 40x2x40, 60x5, 80x4, *comp pause* 100x3

115x3x5
115x3
115x4

Inc Press
77.5x8
77.5x9

Dips left

been pretty full on this week... so training is a little up and down...

Squats - was a little worried that the inner thigh niggle would stop these but as it happened they went really well and the niggle got better as the weight went on... top sets were really good, fast and smooth and strong... really happy...

GHR - oh man... these really killed my hamstrings today... glutes got a bit of a beating but the hams were hit hard in particular...

Bench - well that was a pants bench session... first 3 sets went ok... not special and felt off... the 4th set was just god awful... if you could have a poster session of what not to do thats what I did... instead of just throwing in the towel I sat and thought about what I was doing wrong... took a look at the form and technique and then remember to apply some of Digs advice to benching... seemed to do the trick a bit... felt much much better...

Inc press - ok this went better... first set fired the weight up really nicely second set went much the same...

not the best session but tbh not the worst... def works best when the head is in the game and I am nailing the form and technique... gotta make sure that I get this down every session and make sure I keep that advice foremost in the mind... was pretty late today training as well as had to take the mrs in to get her dressing removed... knee looks pretty good tbh but is all stapled up and she looks like frankenstein... Grin
GreyphantomIcon...03-04-2017 @ 20:44 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 1

Squats
WU 70x2x5, 100x5, 130x3, 160x3, 180x2, 200x2

*belt on*
215x5x6

Rack squats
210x4

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4 (comp pause) 100x3

107.5x5x2

Holy sh1t... sleep has not been very good lately as have to be up for the mrs to help her to the loo or get a drink or whatever as she cant really just get up and down with her knee... so feeling knackered...

Squats - my coach is a w4nker... yes Dig you are... warm ups went really well as it happens... felt smooth and deep and good... 200 flew up and was thinking cool this is on... top set jebus... first set of 6 and I felt it hit my quads really well... they felt sore... 2nd set was worse... third set was not sure if I should try crying or dying... think in the end I was considering both... 4th and 5th sets were acts of will... quads got fantastically hit today... hams and glutes got something as well but quads in particular were just pummeled...

Rack squats - after thinking yay thats the last set of squats I remembered I had these... and at 210... Dig you colossal w4nker... oh holy hell these hurt... legs were wobbly and just on fire... got them though and kept tight in the rack which meant I could get the rep, loosen a little and its hard enough but today I think if I had got a little loose in the hole I would have lost the set...

BP - thank god I get to lie down... but wait the legs are still aching ffs... still made sure that today the cues and advice Dig has given me over the time I have been with him were nailed... made a big difference... speed was much better, felt the exercise better too...

jebus what a session, looks small on paper felt huge in practice... legs are dead... they are gonna act up tonight I am sure... have not been on the magic connection box as much lately as the mrs is home and we have a bunch of things to do like rehab and some family stuff... but will resume normal service fairly soon...
GreyphantomIcon...06-04-2017 @ 18:08 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 2

Postponed from yesterday as was feeling shattered, just no sleep and what I did get was broken as the mrs needed my help to get up to go toilet and move pillows to support the knee... thats a lot better now so last night 4 hours straight sleep and it felt awesome...

Deads
WU 120x2x5, 170x5, 210x3

240x5x5

Chins
BW+7.5x2x6
BW+7.5x8 (last was a bit pants tbh)

Seated rows
175x9
140x15

Hammer curls
27.5x11

Db curls (R/P slow negative)
20x15/9/6

holy jebus...

Deads - was a bit nervous tbh as 5x5 is a bit more than I am used to and at 240... however I knew from first warm up that it was going to go well... first set at 240 flew... in fact first 4 sets went incredibly well and the 5th was great till the 4th and 5th rep when they slowed... solid, quick and smooth... I will take that all day long... only did a 4 min break max between each set too so down on rest period...

Chins - went better than expected, first 2 sets felt good, last set went pretty well till the last rep which I fanaggled up...

Seated rows - holy fvck... the 175 felt heavy... wow... back got a bit of a blast though... 140 went much better but hit the upper back just as hard... man back pumps galore...

hammer curls - oh come on... felt these hit the biceps hard... after all the back work the grip was hurting too...

DB curls - holy hera slow negatives... well I tried... first set was pretty good... hurt but went well... second set I think I might have had an outta body experience... last set I vaguely remember... 15 breaths go by awfully fast...

great session and really glad I postponed it till today... yesterday was just no energy and doubt I would have finished it tbh... today much better... back is in bits... pumps from sacrum to skull... pain from sacrum to skull lol... will look at training sat next... been very busy with the mrs off... shes much better but still at home so been spending some quality time... knee is healing well and shes been upgraded to a new lot of exercises today and can walk on it without crutches... physio was good this morning... will get to all the posts and journals next week... also looking for a new car, will stick with the mazda 6 as its a great car and looks great too... still working on the mrs but should be able to do that in the next week or two...
GreyphantomIcon...08-04-2017 @ 21:32 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 3

Squats

195x5x2

GHR (weight behind head)
BW+5kg x5
BW+5kg x4+1p

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4 (comp pause) 100x3

110x4x6
110x1x5+1p

Inc Press
80x10

Flyes
32.5x8+1p

Dips
BW+5kg x10

decent session today, sleep still a bit hit and miss tbh but getting through it...

Squats - felt really good today... the volume on squats is def paying off... form and technique felt really on point... quick smooth and deep...

GHR - holy fvck moving the weight behind my head made a massive difference... hams and glutes caned...

BP - dammit... nearly made it for all the reps... went really well for the first 4 sets then on the 4th rep last set hit the wall... managed to get the 5th rep ok but not the 6th, just couldnt lock out the rep...

Inc press - wow felt great, managed to move the weight really well... felt the chest working hard too...

Flyes - again great set and felt them stretch the pecs out... strong and smooth...

Dips - went fairly well... certainly better than I expected...

still not sleeping great... but at least the training is going ok... ended up being a busy day, got the new car this morning but have to wait till it gets delivered so pick it up in a couple of weeks... did a family lunch then home to train... time seems to be flying atm... one week till I head to Ireland to ref the Irish pro... run by a huge lifter and awesome chap Shane Brodie... should be fun...
GreyphantomIcon...10-04-2017 @ 18:12 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 1

Squats
WU 70x2x5, 100x5, 130x3, 160x3, 180x2, 200x2, 215x1

*belt on*
227.5x3x2

2ct Paused squats
210x2x3

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4, *comp pause* 100x3

110x5x2

actually got a full 7 hours sat night sleep wise and about 6 last night (albeit in 2 lots of 3) but feel worse for it ffs...

Squats - was really happy to see only 3x2 and even happier that the top sets felt very stable and solid and strong... prob could have moved faster but they went well enough... really happy with squats atm as they are feeling so good...

2ct - awww.maaaan... yeah hit the quads a bit here... however felt much better in the hole and more stable... quick out of it too which was good...

BP - did not expect it to go so well tbh... weight moved fast enough and felt strong... a couple of reps felt a little off but corrected well enough...

good session, feeling it but not overwhelmingly so... some more sleep would be nice but things are settling there too I think... mrs knee is healing pretty well but she probably needs to push it a little more than she does with her rehab work... still its healing quicker than I thought it would... had a few days where it was harder getting food in but starting to get some appetite back so will look to get back up to 118 or 120 in the next month or two and then try to hold that there... however we booked a holiday today so that may mean it falls a little (yeah I know most put weight on when on holiday me I lose ffs, although theres a buffet there I am sure somewhere so might try to maintain Grin )...
GreyphantomIcon...18-04-2017 @ 18:49 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 1 (take 2)

Squats

*shiny new belt on*
227.5x3x2

Paused squats 2ct
215x2x3

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4, 100x3

110x5x2

well I have not been on a lot lately as been a bit sick and had the Irish Pro Invitational to ref so been a bit busy... having a cold sucks ar$e and this one seems to hang on ffs... could hardly breath last week but this week its better albeit seems to have settled in my sinuses... the Irish Pro was awesome and a true pleasure to be involved with... while there I treated myself to a new belt, one of the sbd lever 13mm belts... always wanted to try it out and so thought while I am there would be rude not to get one Grin its pretty awesome, first use today and first lever and first 13 mm I have used too... def rate it... the lever is sooooooo good to use, makes it a cinch to get tight and its comfortable too... and can release it between sets which I dont do as its a hassle on the double prong... very stiff atm but to be expected I guess...

Squats - felt awesome... so light up till about 200 then a little heavier, put the belt on at 227.5 and it went really well... sat more upright in the hole, whether due to a combination of belt and strength or one or tother I dont know but all felt good and quads got a battering... felt strong and quick enough...

2ct - felt great, nice and strong and quick enough and really solid in the hole...

Bp - really good today, brought my grip in a finger so ring fingers on the rings and it felt a lot better, stronger and faster... decided to do this after watching a few really good benchers and noticed they had a slightly closer grip than I did (comparatively of course)... worked well...

good session today, pleased with how it went...
GreyphantomIcon...20-04-2017 @ 18:45 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
day 2

Deads
WU 120x2x5 fvck fvck fvckity fvck... felt something go in the upper inner rear part of the leg... adductors were feeling sore from squats the other day but felt ok with deads... but this felt like a sharp pull... with thoughts of the hamstring tear last year I was a gnats fart from giving up todays session... did a couple more reps at 120 and felt ok so went 170x5, 210x3

235x5x5

first puking attempt (phlegm only ffs cold)

Hammer close grip pd
90x11
80x12
70x14

Seated rows r/p
135x17/10/8

oh jebus back done... second puking thought (just a thought this time)... this cold is just hanging on and the chesty thing is still fvcking there...

left out hammer curls as ran out of time...

Deads - started fine, 120 felt very light and fast 1st set well enough and legs/adductors were fine... 2nd set did the 5 quick and easy again then when I lowered the bar after last rep felt a sharp pull/twinge in the upper inner rear part of leg and though oh no... massaged it a bit and it felt sore... sent Dig a text he suggested wrapping it (and I turned down some sdp knee wraps at the weekend ffs) but nothing to wrap it with so gave 120 a couple more reps and it felt fine so went to 170... still fine so 210 and that was still fine so went to top sets 235... 1st set was a bit tentative... felt ok a little achey and I just had to make sure form was spot on... 2nd and 3rd sets went fine... as did the 4th and 5th... weight was not a problem but speed was a little down mainly as I was being a bit careful although on the 5th set I did push a little quicker as I wanted to test it... doesnt feel bad at all now, a little sore but just a very little...

Hammer pd - wow felt these hit the back quite a lot tbh... lats and even mid back felt it working hard...

Seated rows - felt heavy today... bench got in the way so I had to push it back on one of the reps lol... mid back toasted...

long ar$sed day today... not much sleep last night well a late one anyway then out in the garden most of the day so was not a happy bunny then the fvcking niggle... still got the work done and def worked the back... got a call from the car guy and our car will be ready to pick up next fri... sweet... need to have a few days long sleep but thats not going to happen till next... um.... um... well we shall see...
GreyphantomIcon...21-04-2017 @ 20:29 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 3
Squats

200x5x2

GHR
Left

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4, *comp pause* 100x3, 115x2

122.5x3x3

Incl press
85x8
85x10

Side raises
25x8+1p
17.5x15

after the twinge I got yesterday was a bit careful on the squats but it went ok...

Squats - warm ups went well... felt great and smooth... no problem with the niggle from yesterday... top sets first 2 went a little slow as was being careful... 3-5 went a bit quicker and felt nice and strong, weight no problem at all... no belt on and was a little nervous but again went smooth and felt tight... really happy with these...

GHR - a bit nope, first one could feel the ache intensify so just sacked that so as not to make it worse...

BP - brought my grip in again so the little finger is on the rings... felt much better off the chest and faster too... warm ups nice and strong... top sets were really good and faster than I have done in the past... felt really good...

Incl press - went well... ring fingers on the rings this time and strong pressing was had... first set a little sluggish if truth be told but the last one really got under the bar well...

Side raises - fvck me the 25s felt heavy... only managed the 8 and a partial there... the 17.5s went much better and felt good... delts done...

good session but so much going on at the moment I have no time to fit it all in... up at 0400 to drive to devon to ref a comp... long day then sunday the same... drive home again...
GreyphantomIcon...24-04-2017 @ 18:46 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 1
Squats

*belt on*
230x3x3

2ct Paused squats
222.5x3

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4 *comp pause* 100x3

110x5x2

busy weekend reffing the Southwest qual in Barnstaple... food was not as much as should have been but I did get some rest... even slept well last night...

Squats - oh the warm ups felt awesome, much better quad feel and form is starting to really sink in... technique is feeling bang on too... top sets went thusly... 1st... what a clusterfvck... jebus h christmas... first off the belt was a bit tight... secondly I completely didnt think about anything to do with squatting as I was trying to use the belt too much... thirdly felt something go owie in the groin so just meh... sat and considered all the above points... 2nd set, did belt a notch less and felt much better, actually got my legs involved and sat back better and did all the things that Dig has been harping on about for a while and got into the squat proper... man that felt much better... stronger and quads more involved... 3rd set went better yet as I settled into it... legs in slightly on ascent too so that gave me more oomph and involved the quads a bit more too... phew...

2ct - Dig you barsteward... man this was hard but not as terrible as I expected... quads a little sore now... twinged upper back a little on 1st rep as weight shifted slight when breathed in deep but went fine...

BP - warm ups went smooth and fast... top sets were brilliant... little finger on the rings def a good grip position for me... much stronger off the chest and fast drive up too... helps bring to bear all of Digs suggestions too... feels more solid... had 2 mins rest between the top sets too... didnt feel fatigued at all... happy with how these are going atm...

little tired today but not too bad tbh... time going slow atm but thats cos its 4 more sleeps till I get the car... food wasnt terrific over the weekend but remedying that now... really need to get it all working as wed is a big day with deads... little nervous but thats a good thing I am hoping...
GreyphantomIcon...24-04-2017 @ 18:49 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 1
Squats

*belt on*
230x3x3

2ct Paused squats
222.5x3

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4 *comp pause* 100x3

110x5x2

busy weekend reffing the Southwest qual in Barnstaple... food was not as much as should have been but I did get some rest... even slept well last night...

Squats - oh the warm ups felt awesome, much better quad feel and form is starting to really sink in... technique is feeling bang on too... top sets went thusly... 1st... what a clusterfvck... jebus h christmas... first off the belt was a bit tight... secondly I completely didnt think about anything to do with squatting as I was trying to use the belt too much... thirdly felt something go owie in the groin so just meh... sat and considered all the above points... 2nd set, did belt a notch less and felt much better, actually got my legs involved and sat back better and did all the things that Dig has been harping on about for a while and got into the squat proper... man that felt much better... stronger and quads more involved... 3rd set went better yet as I settled into it... legs in slightly on ascent too so that gave me more oomph and involved the quads a bit more too... phew...

2ct - Dig you barsteward... man this was hard but not as terrible as I expected... quads a little sore now... twinged upper back a little on 1st rep as weight shifted slight when breathed in deep but went fine...

BP - warm ups went smooth and fast... top sets were brilliant... little finger on the rings def a good grip position for me... much stronger off the chest and fast drive up too... helps bring to bear all of Digs suggestions too... feels more solid... had 2 mins rest between the top sets too... didnt feel fatigued at all... happy with how these are going atm...

little tired today but not too bad tbh... time going slow atm but thats cos its 4 more sleeps till I get the car... food wasnt terrific over the weekend but remedying that now... really need to get it all working as wed is a big day with deads... little nervous but thats a good thing I am hoping...
GreyphantomIcon...26-04-2017 @ 17:13 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 2

Deads
WU 120x2x5, 170x5, 210x3, 230x1

250x5x6

Hammer cg pd
95x12
80x15

Db hammer curls
not done

holy damn... sleep has actually been pretty decent last few nights which is so good... food been good too... however with that little mishap on the paused squats on mon I was feeling it in my upper back yesterday and thankfully this quietened down by today but was still a little sore... however it did not affect my training neither did any hamstring issues...

Deads - warm ups went very well... felt very light and fast... tbh was a bit nervous about going into todays session as the vol is something I have never really done before esp at this weight... first set was blazing... fast, strong and easy... well happy... 2, 3 and 4 was much the same and very surprised I was... 5th set got my head in the game and first 4 reps went much the same as the previous sets... last 2 reps the speed dropped off but managed to do the reps nice enough... totally fvcked after this... took me 5 mins just to get to break the weight down and then another couple to move on to the next ex...

Hammer cg pd - ok lower back done, feeling very ill and so what better way to take ones mind off it than by smashing out some more weight... first set went pretty well as it happens... felt my lats and upper back working really well and the movement felt strong... the second set went a bit better I think and while I felt the ex in the lats I finished thinking that wasnt bad... 30 secs later I was cursing Digs good name and calling his parentage into question... lats and upper back on fire... feeling very ill and basically doing all I can to not throw up...

was supposed to do hammer curls but left them to 2 reasons... 1) had some stuff to do and was running a bit later than I thought I would... and 2) most importantly I was fvcked... took me 10 mins to stand up without feeling ill... prob should have left a bit longer rest between sets... (4 mins or so on deads and a few mins on the pd)... really pleased I got the deads... glad I hit the pd too... but I am still sure Dig is trying to kill me... or experiment on me...
GreyphantomIcon...29-04-2017 @ 11:49 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 3

Squats
WU 70x2x5, 100x5, 130x3, 160x3, 180x3

200x5x2

GHR (weight behind head)
BW+5x7
BWx10

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4, 100x3, 110x1, 120x1

127.5x3x2

CGBP
87.5x2x8
87x5x12

Flyes
not done as no time

Good session yesterday (fri 29 Apr) and felt really good too... had to cut it a bit short as had to go pick up mrs from airport but no hassle as got to take the new car for a decent spin... is awesome btw...

Squats - warm ups felt so good that I cocked up the 180... took the weight and it felt light so thought I must be at the 160 set and did a triple instead of 2... oops Grin the 200 went really well and fast enough... form and technique is really improving here I think...

GHR - who the hell makes you put the weight behind your head... first set was hard, felt that a lot... bw I thought would be better and it was... sort of... but still hit the glutes and hams very decently...

BP - the change to form and technique seems to be paying off... little fingers on the rings and more air in keeping up on traps more and using the back to push through the bench more... warm ups went fine, top sets felt really good and pretty quick which is good...

CGBP - easy really felt great and the press was smooth and fast...

Flyes I couldnt fit in as it was one of those days and had to drive to heathrow to get the mrs as she was coming back from Ireland... training went well and is feeling good, I am getting used to more volume and find the extra bench and squat work is helping with bettering form and technique... really happy with deads atm as well and surprised tbh... long may it continue...

new car is the dogs btw... very pleased with it and so shiny Grin
GreyphantomIcon...02-05-2017 @ 18:28 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 1

Squats
WU 70x2x5, 100x5, 130x3, 160x3, 180x2, 200x2 *belt on* 220x1

235x3x2

2ct paused squats
220x2x3

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4, *comp pause from here* 100x3, 110x1

115x5x2

had to move yesterday to today as the mrs and daughter wanted to go shopping for the daughters prom dress yesterday... sigh... still went really well and felt very good

Squats - wam ups still feeling light and easy and form seems to be improving all the time... 220 felt really good and 235 while I felt the weight it moved very well... very happy with these atm... working the knees in trick that Dig suggested and it seems to make the weight want to go up... not quite on its own but well enough...

2ct paused - again felt the weight here but man it went well... not fast and not easy but not hard either... smooth and solid... quads getting more work in the squat atm which is good...

BP - warm ups went well... 110 flew and felt very easy... 115 well how on earth did this get to feel so good... fast, smooth and so good... it felt better than the 110 did last week actually, really moving along and long may it do so...

great session today... working the form on bench and squats has been paying dividends... technique and form are improving all the time and I am sure this will pay off down the road... as I am at Bodypower all weekend reffing I thought I would throw my name in for a cheeky seminar with Mike Womack who is a pretty decent bencher and trains Emma James... will see how it goes there, although if I am being totally honest now that I seem to have found a really good groove I am loathe to break it up with anything new... we shall see how it goes...
GreyphantomIcon...04-05-2017 @ 11:11 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 2 (Wed 03 May 17)

Deads
WU 120x2x5, 170x5, 210x3

237.5x5x5

Hammer pd
100x11
75x16/7/6

Hammer curls
30x10
25x11
20x14

short and sweet today but still gave me a great work out... feeling a bit meh, tired a little... but the show must be lifted...

Deads - warm ups went well... didnt feel heavy and moved fast so was happy... top sets went fine... quick and smooth... pretty standard really...

PD - felt these hitting my lats really well... nice and smooth and on the edge of a little too heavy but right where its supposed to be... the next set was a rest/pause set... flaming nora that hit hard, lats were screaming...

good session overall... feeling it well...
GreyphantomIcon...05-05-2017 @ 18:54 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Day 3

Squats (no belt)
WU 70x2x5, 100x5, 130x3, 160x3, 180x2, 195x2

205x5x2

BP
WU 40x2x5, 60x5, 80x4, *comp pause* 100x3, 115x1, 125x1

132.5x3x2

CGBP
95x10
87.5x12
80x13

yeah I will take that, good session and felt strong... also the mrs and kids got me a new stereo thing for the gym for my birthday and it has got amazing sound which added at least 20% more oomph to my training Grin

Squats - warm ups felt great... smooth strong and fast... got to top sets and they still felt smooth strong and fast... also deep... even worked going a little deeper on the last few sets to really bed it in... no belt on the lighter squats still and felt very good with it... form and technique are feeling great with the added squat vol...

BP - yeah will take this today... 115 felt so fast it was unreal, 125 was not as good but first 2 sets at 132.5 felt better than the 125... the last one something went a little awry and felt a little off but still got them out ok... getting more air in helps with stability for sure and the narrower grip helps with keeping my back and triceps in the lift... also funnily enough I feel it more in the pecs...

CGBP - first set felt nice and strong but man the arms got a battering... made it to 10 with not much trouble and thought about 11 but left it there... next set was lighter and felt strong, but was going to sack it at 11 reps and thought nope one more and got it, just... last set went really well but again by rep 11 feeling it and just managed the 13...

really good training today and things moving apace...

12345678910 ... ... 4950515253545556575859

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions