REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 190 guests

Component Based Periodization

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

FazcIcon...03-08-2015 @ 19:01 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
kirkynick said:
How are you finding training each lift once every two weeks? Are you able to retain (even gain) strength and what are your lifts right now?

I feel great, which was the main driver for reducing frequency. I needed more time for cardio and other remedial stuff.

Yeah lifts are improving from where they were but not at my bests from a couple years ago. I get to test my max in November but these were the reps I ended with last block:

Squat 140x14
Bench 125x11
Deadlift 195x14
Press 65x12

Bodyweight is around 90kg.

The way I feel now, I'm confident I'll be back to old bests with this approach. I had to adjust, I was just getting injured repetitively and not recovering well, regardless of strength I just want to be able to train regularly.
deleted2_20210523Icon...03-08-2015 @ 19:18 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
FazcIcon...03-08-2015 @ 19:27 
Member 38, 6253 posts
Thanks. In a nutshell I ran this:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2012/06/08/programming-for...

It's a laid out version of Chad Wesley Smith's 2 day Juggernaut Method. I also bought the book later on, but this article is useful as a reference point.

I wasn't doing it for Crossfit, I instead did around 90 minutes of LISS cardio on the other 4 days of the week. So I ended up with a schedule of lifting twice a week and cardio four times.

The lifting was exactly what CWS prescribed in that article during the first block. During the second block which I just finished I personalised things a little. Next block I will be a little different as well. I always keep the core lifts and progression the same, but change the rest based on how effective I feel they were and just keeping fresh.
deleted2_20210523Icon...03-08-2015 @ 19:29 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
EDCLARKEIcon...07-08-2015 @ 22:23 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10986 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
had couple of questions , apologies if these are obvious but i really like the look of this program and want to make sure i get it right.

If I have this right the first 3 weeks you would for example be training pin press , deficit deadlift and box squat and then for weeks 4 and 5 some reverse band squat deadlift and benchpress , In week 6 would you attempt your 3 rep max in the standard squat, bench and deadlift or would it be a pb working with reverse bands?

after completing the 6 weeks would you then immediately run the same program again using slightly different variations?
AMH_PowerIcon...07-08-2015 @ 23:16 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
EDCLARKE said:had couple of questions , apologies if these are obvious but i really like the look of this program and want to make sure i get it right.

If I have this right the first 3 weeks you would for example be training pin press , deficit deadlift and box squat and then for weeks 4 and 5 some reverse band squat deadlift and benchpress , In week 6 would you attempt your 3 rep max in the standard squat, bench and deadlift or would it be a pb working with reverse bands?

after completing the 6 weeks would you then immediately run the same program again using slightly different variations?

Nail on the head.
Week 6, would still be a 3RM with the bands.

I need to post the peaking/comp cycle up, but the longer you can hold out of the comp lifts the better. They will keep improving despite only training the components.... but when you come back to training them you have a surge of beginner gains which is best to save for comps.

However....

The normal CBP cycle is:

Weeks 1-3: Start Strength
Weeks 4-6: Explosive Strength

The comp CBP cycle is:

Weeks 1-3: Paused Variants
Weeks 5-6: Comp variants; with mon-fri of week 6 being rest/light, to compete at the weekend.

Paused variants allow you to bridge start and explosive strength as they are hybrid of both (however, paused alone doesn't yield anywhere near the same results as training the components exclusively). Once you have bridged, then we do the comp lifts for a couple of weeks to practice and 'realize' the new gains and or potential.

The reason we don't just do 6 weeks of comp lifts, is we can still get the beginner effect from the paused work while still improving/practicing comp lifts relatively similar. The only tweaks for the paused phase is extend the bench pause, and for the deadlift don't generate any prior amortization strength by kicking the hamstrings back or rolling the bar...or tugging etc, save this for the final stage.

For constant improvement, you could do a normal CBP rotation with normal rom/grip lifts (so a pin press from normal start position on bench), then a second rotation but with variants stressing a weakness either by positional or biomechanical (so, alter grip to focus a weaker muscle, or change the rom to focus the muscle via a weak stage, or even both if the weakness is so apparent)...
Then a final rotation of comp CBP to put the new skills and non-existent weaknesses altogether to hit some great pb's.
FazcIcon...08-08-2015 @ 00:13 
Member 38, 6253 posts
Actually that makes things a little simpler for me too. I may just focus on Starting Strength this block as I'm explosive enough once I get going.

It'll save me having to do both on the same day.
EDCLARKEIcon...08-08-2015 @ 08:16 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10986 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
great , that makes sense , thank you for taking the time to post up this information .
I'm not sure why but this training program has really sparked an interest in training again at a time when i was struggling to find much motivation , so much thanks for posting it up.
TurtleIcon...08-08-2015 @ 08:36 
Member 5844, 8 posts
SQ 220, BP 155, DL 260
635.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Aaron,

The program looks great, I can see now why you have been raving about it so much on Facebook and I will let you know how I get on with it. I'm currently hammering a West side variant at the moment but finding the 4 days a week draining (must be my age Happy )

Dave
AMH_PowerIcon...08-08-2015 @ 10:09 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
EDCLARKE said:great , that makes sense , thank you for taking the time to post up this information .
I'm not sure why but this training program has really sparked an interest in training again at a time when i was struggling to find much motivation , so much thanks for posting it up.

Good to hear! Thanks!
AMH_PowerIcon...08-08-2015 @ 10:12 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Turtle said:Aaron,

The program looks great, I can see now why you have been raving about it so much on Facebook and I will let you know how I get on with it. I'm currently hammering a West side variant at the moment but finding the 4 days a week draining (must be my age Happy )

Dave

I too am training 4 days a week and my gains are soaring....

Mon - Squat
Tue - Bench
Thu - Deadlift
Fri - Altered grip bench to stress weakness (wider grip at the min to fix weak pecs).

However.... I tend to do dead accessory after squat, and squat accessory after dead. This tends to allow me to go a little heavier on the supplementary stuff. Also, Fridays accessory I do all the nancy stuff like stretching
TurtleIcon...08-08-2015 @ 10:51 
Member 5844, 8 posts
SQ 220, BP 155, DL 260
635.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
I too am training 4 days a week and my gains are soaring....
Mon - Squat
Tue - Bench
Thu - Deadlift
Fri - Altered grip bench to stress weakness (wider grip at the min to fix weak pecs).
However.... I tend to do dead accessory after squat, and squat accessory after dead. This tends to allow me to go a little heavier on the supplementary stuff. Also, Fridays accessory I do all the nancy stuff like stretching

Sounds sensible, although I need to do a bit more of that nancy stuff now adays - the curse of going past your 40's.

How many accessory exercises would you recommend, would two to three on the main lift days be enough?
AMH_PowerIcon...08-08-2015 @ 11:12 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.08.2015 @ 11:23 AM by AMH_Power
Turtle said:
Sounds sensible, although I need to do a bit more of that nancy stuff now adays - the curse of going past your 40's.
How many accessory exercises would you recommend, would two to three on the main lift days be enough?

I tend to do 1 strength, 1 weakness and 1 prehab/rehab

Or another great choice is 3-plane...

So on a pull day:
Shrug (upwards pull)
Bent over row (horizontal pull)
Lat pull down (downwards pull)

On a press day:
Ohp (upward press)
Dumbbell press (horizontal press)
Tricrp ext (downward press)

Such a set up is great when further away from comp as it will cover the most part....
TurtleIcon...08-08-2015 @ 11:27 
Member 5844, 8 posts
SQ 220, BP 155, DL 260
635.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
I tend to do 1 strength, 1 weakness and 1 prehab/rehab
Or another great choice is 3-plane...
So on a pull day:
Shrug (upwards pull)
Bent over row (horizontal pull)
Lat pull down (downwards pull)
On a press day:
Ohp (upward press)
Dumbbell press (horizontal press)
Tricrp ext (downward press)
Such a set up is great when further away from comp as it will cover the most part....

Thanks, I will putting something together and start next week..
GordyIcon...11-08-2015 @ 14:30 
Member 5418, 383 posts
Post Edited: 10.08.2018 @ 15:44 PM by Gordy

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions