Who's Online - 0 members and 136 guests

Component Based Periodization

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

AMH_PowerIcon...02-08-2015 @ 14:26 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
EDCLARKE said:very interesting read , thanks for posting. Would this method work for someone training for another sport and only training with weights twice a week?

CBP is not just about powerlifting, it is purely about strength!
However, it fits right at home with powerlifting.

I do believe the powerlifts to be staple exercises though, and training twice a week with weights I would do bench/squat, deadlift/OHP.
AMH_PowerIcon...02-08-2015 @ 14:30 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
justaboutpastit said:very interesting read...

As someone new to this concept and tbh consider themselves a novice lifter both in terms of lifting yrs and knowledge how would one go about finding the RPE?

I am thinking that it is something that you "pick up" over time, or is there a way to work it out...

Alex below posted some great links on MT's RPE system which is great.
I wouldn't get too caught up. You could even split the days down to hard, very hard, and maximal. (with week 5 been easy-ish).

What you will find is, however you do it, is week 3's weight will ALWAYS be heavier than week one despite it having the same perceived effort.
Week 3 usually ends up somewhere between week 1 and 2's weight.
AMH_PowerIcon...02-08-2015 @ 14:31 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Oxman said:
No problem mate.....awesome system, loving it!

I'm glad. I'm also glad you managed to get back to the strongest you've been but at such a lighter bodyweight!
OxmanIcon...02-08-2015 @ 14:58 
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 11067 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 92.9kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
I'm glad. I'm also glad you managed to get back to the strongest you've been but at such a lighter bodyweight!

Going past strongest now too mate Happy

I'd just like to publicly thanks Aaron here for all his help with my training this year...he has helped me above and beyond and his knowledge is second to none, top bloke Happy
PeteHodgsonIcon...02-08-2015 @ 14:59 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Looks interesting. Need to make time to read, understand, and then implement this. Been putting off making a decision on what program to follow (if any).
BigMaccaIcon...02-08-2015 @ 15:28 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9941 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Quick question.

Taking the bench press as an example.....

Lets say you improve you start strength (by pin pressing as you suggest) - Does this only carry over to a paused bench if you relax when the bar touches your chest as opposed to keeping constant tension at the chest as the muscles are already activated at this point?

Cheers

Macca
AMH_PowerIcon...02-08-2015 @ 15:48 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:Quick question.

Taking the bench press as an example.....

Lets say you improve you start strength (by pin pressing as you suggest) - Does this only carry over to a paused bench if you relax when the bar touches your chest as opposed to keeping constant tension at the chest as the muscles are already activated at this point?

Cheers

Macca

Macca, paused variants are what we call hybrid lifts.... for the very reason you point out.
A paused lift isn't quite start strength as muscle is already 'on', but not quite explosive has this is POST the full sttart strength effort.

But, easiest way I can describe how it works it with some fabricated %'s to explain my point:

Say someone has the ability to turn on 20% of their muscle at once, then further recruit 20%, to give a total 40% contraction (this would be their limit strength).

If they now follow a dedicated wave of training start strength, and can now turn on 25% at once, their new resulting limit contraction will be 45% because limit is the SUM OF ALL FORCES; it is additive.

But, lets say they bring the weight to the chest, and only slightly deload, and still have a 10% contraction, they will still only be able to instantly turn on another 10% (or 15% in the second example).... so it doesn't matter if it is rested or 'floating'. However, floating the weight is a good way to mask weak start strength, as explosive strength is able to progress from a running start if the weight is floating on the chest.

Also, Due to....
1) paused having a foot in both start AND explosive domains
2) paused serving a great stop gap between variants and the competition lifts
3) acting as a variant to further give 'beginner gains'.....

We use them as a bridge for competition cycles. I was going to cover peaking separately (which I will still do) but instead of:
3 weeks start strength, 3 weeks explosive...

A competition prep cycle becomes:
3 weeks paused variants, 3 weeks competition lifts....

this ends up causing a flood of beginner gains from the actual competition lifts (crazy, I know but it is due to a new demand of amortization...wil lalso cover this). We also use 3 weeks as we don't want to stagnate (3 week rule of stagnation).
Also, the paused having a foot in both domains actually:

1) Prevents any skill fade of explosive AND start strength
2) Allows the harmony of start and explosive strength (transition)
3) Allows perfect practice for comp lifts.

After the second wave of comp lifts, all attributes from the paused work will be realised and we will be ready to set pb's. However, the comp cycle is best used just for comp.
deleted2_20210523Icon...02-08-2015 @ 19:46 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
AMH_PowerIcon...02-08-2015 @ 20:29 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
kirkynick said:Great read Aaron.
Your knowledge and willingness to keep learning is second to none.
I fully expect you to be competing in the IPF world classic and doing well in the next few years.
Bit of nitpicking Tongue Fred Hatfield wasn't the first man to squat 1000lbs. That accolade goes to Dave Waddington, who did it in a small comp. The first in a national level comp was Lee Moran. Hatfield was next in line I think, and much lighter than the other two.
This is good, but for some sports I reckon the bench press is maybe not so important (for others though it is a mainstay).
For example, in wrestling based combat sports, with or without a gi, the ability to pull an opponent towards you is more important, so I would add chins/rows
I've been thinking of changing to lifting once per week and doing only squats or deadlift, strict press and chins.

Nick, thanks for the info.
Also, I concur...I was just suggesting typical 'staple' movements. For all round, I would do a push/pull on an horizonal plane, and a push/pull on a vertical plane.
LessThanLukeIcon...03-08-2015 @ 08:36 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Always enjoy reading your posts Aaron!
pandionIcon...03-08-2015 @ 11:08 
Member 2407, 219 posts
AMH_Power said:So, CAT training will improve lockout.

For those not in the know, CAT training is accelerating a weight to overcome the zero acceleration curve of a lift. You may not know it, but every time you lift light unless done explosively, you are detraining your lockout and explosive strength due to the fly wheel effect and using the conservation of momentum.

The easiest way and guaranteed way to improve explosive strength is with bands. Bands require that following start strength, you must keep the muscle 'ON' and further and progressively keep recruiting more fibres.

Also, I need to express something I hear all the time...
'banging' off the chest is NOT explosive. If somebody says.. "bro! you are really explosive off the chest but then it slows down bla bla"... this is WRONG.
You can be explosive and still be relatively slow... explosive is the ACCELERATION. If the weight slows down half way, then it has stopped accelerating, and you are not explosive. You probably have great start strength.

Another thing I need to clear up, SPEED work is NOT explosive work. I'm still on the fence with the use of speed work in powerlifting, but CAT work is king. Speed work can contribute to a lack of explosiveness... if a bar leaves the chest fast then the effort required to keep it moving is less and less.
With bands, you can train to be explosive while lifting MAXIMAL weights. This can be against the grain to what most read, but to be explosive, is a skill of progressively recruiting more fibres at a fast/progressive rate.
May I also add, that skilled lifters can lift explosively or in a progressive/accelerative manner without bands (Tom Martin squat is a perfect example. I don't know if it is a conscious effort, or a trait of a natural athlete. Also Andy Boltons deadlift also has great acceleration curve).

So, we now have the two main components of strength: Start strength and Explosive strength (and ultimately Limit strength)......
and Component Based Periodization is born.

So, I will overview here why the micro/macro/meso is constructed how it is:
(Post following)

This is very interesting as i've read a lot about developing power and always find myself debating speed training with a barbell Vs throwing. Without writing a boring essay it's accepted in throwing that you can't train speed/explosive power without the weight leaving the body (snatch, clean, throw etc) So unless a squat or bench leaves the body there must be a deceleration at the end of the movement meaning you haven't recruited all your potential. Are the bands used as compensation for that and if so would a failed lock out be what your aiming for. Just musing great info as always Happy
FazcIcon...03-08-2015 @ 16:50 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Lot's of useful insights. Interesting what you said about explosive training not training the lockout portion, I was told something similar years ago but it seemed to go against the grain of what was popular at the time.

So I'm just in the process of setting up my next block of training. I choose 1 assistance for myself for each of the 4 big lifts (SQ/BP/DL/OHP). I arrange my training very infrequently, each lift is done every 2 weeks so instead of a 3 week block followed by a deload my blocks last 6 weeks followed by a deload week.

If I was to use your ideas on this I'd like to use both CAT and Partial training as my assistance on the same day. Due to the infrequency I think I could get away with it.

So am I right in thinking if we take Squat for example, that I would do:

1) Banded Squats
2) Partial from a chosen position which I would maintain throughout the block.

And I would base the sets/reps from your guidelines.
AMH_PowerIcon...03-08-2015 @ 17:13 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 03.08.2015 @ 17:18 PM by AMH_Power
Fazc said:Lot's of useful insights. Interesting what you said about explosive training not training the lockout portion, I was told something similar years ago but it seemed to go against the grain of what was popular at the time.

So I'm just in the process of setting up my next block of training. I choose 1 assistance for myself for each of the 4 big lifts (SQ/BP/DL/OHP). I arrange my training very infrequently, each lift is done every 2 weeks so instead of a 3 week block followed by a deload my blocks last 6 weeks followed by a deload week.

If I was to use your ideas on this I'd like to use both CAT and Partial training as my assistance on the same day. Due to the infrequency I think I could get away with it.

So am I right in thinking if we take Squat for example, that I would do:

1) Banded Squats
2) Partial from a chosen position which I would maintain throughout the block.

And I would base the sets/reps from your guidelines.

Absolutely. It is good to stick with lift though untill it stops improving which is usually about 3 weeks (regardless of frequency...it seems freq just increases the amount gained!).

The partials don't have to be partial. It can be a full box squat for example. What is important is the muscle is instantly required to turn on from nothing. It can be quite demanding though (which is why rpe is used; people have different tolerances and weakness)

Edit. Just read 'same day'. I don't know why (I can guess though), but doing them in the same session seems to halt progress. Maybe its over training or maybe they require a different mechanic... I don't know.

But as soon as I split them completely progress was absurd. Added 40kg to my deadlift in 14 week which is just outrageous to be honest....given that no normal deadlifts were done in the whole time. I built up to a 260 expecting to add another 10 ir 15... And just realised to myself that I could probably bang anothet 20 either side. Hey presto
FazcIcon...03-08-2015 @ 18:00 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
AMH_Power said:
Absolutely. It is good to stick with lift though untill it stops improving which is usually about 3 weeks (regardless of frequency...it seems freq just increases the amount gained!).
The partials don't have to be partial. It can be a full box squat for example. What is important is the muscle is instantly required to turn on from nothing. It can be quite demanding though (which is why rpe is used; people have different tolerances and weakness)
Edit. Just read 'same day'. I don't know why (I can guess though), but doing them in the same session seems to halt progress. Maybe its over training or maybe they require a different mechanic... I don't know.
But as soon as I split them completely progress was absurd. Added 40kg to my deadlift in 14 week which is just outrageous to be honest....given that no normal deadlifts were done in the whole time. I built up to a 260 expecting to add another 10 ir 15... And just realised to myself that I could probably bang anothet 20 either side. Hey presto

Right!

I'll see what I can do about arranging them on different days, that might be an issue but if there's a way around it I'll do it.

And yeah I'll report back in about 7 weeks. Cheers fella.
deleted2_20210523Icon...03-08-2015 @ 18:31 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions