REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 320 guests

Any experiences with bad bicep tendonitis?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MattD90IconAny experiences with bad bicep tendonitis?25-02-2014 @ 21:54 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
I don't mean the kind where you get some pain when benching, I mean the kind where you have a huge lump in your shoulder (size of an egg under ant delt), agonising pain that wakes you at night and can't even lift your arm let alone train.

Physio is pretty sure it is bicep tendonitis (waiting on ultrasound to confirm not something else). It's been 10 days now, no icing/heat, ibu/paracetamol is touching it.

Doc will probs offer me corticosteroid injection tomorrow, but I read online (broscience?) that it increases the chance of tearing the tendon later on.

Any experiences ? thanks
VanillaGorillaIcon...25-02-2014 @ 22:05 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Sounds more like bursitis to me with that level of swelling. Possibility of a rupture too?
MattD90Icon...25-02-2014 @ 22:08 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:Sounds more like bursitis to me with that level of swelling. Possibility of a rupture too?

I was waiting to see if anyone was good enough to get the other differentials, seriously impressed!

The physio can't categorically say between:
- Bicep tendonitis
- Bursitis
- Supraspinatus rupture

Given the planes of movement i find the most difficult, and where I feel pain. Apparently ultrasound will confirm. The rupture thing scares me but just doesn't fit with the history. I lifted (heavy board press) on a saturday, all feeling fine. Did bugger all on sunday and monday morning is where it all began (upon waking). There was no "oh s**t" moment at the gym where something popped
MattD90Icon...25-02-2014 @ 22:12 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Either way, if it is bursitis or a rupture, will the steroid injection still be a good move? My GP doesn't know an awful lot about this stuff by his own admission and is going to just jab me nonetheless, and I can't reach my physio for another week now

Need internet halp
VanillaGorillaIcon...25-02-2014 @ 23:00 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
My instinct would be to forego cortisone injection until you have had imaging. And yes, tendon integrity is reduced following corticosteroid treatment, particularly over a period of time.

The shoulder is a complex beast, for example, I benched 140kg for 5 x 5 with a ruptured deltoid and felt no noticeable pain. All is not necessarily as it seems with shoulders. Push for ultrasound, although I suspect on such a busy joint it will be inconclusive unless there is a bone shard showing from a rupture. An MRI is much more likely to give a conclusive answer.
MattD90Icon...25-02-2014 @ 23:08 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:My instinct would be to forego cortisone injection until you have had imaging. And yes, tendon integrity is reduced following corticosteroid treatment, particularly over a period of time.

The shoulder is a complex beast, for example, I benched 140kg for 5 x 5 with a ruptured deltoid and felt no noticeable pain. All is not necessarily as it seems with shoulders. Push for ultrasound, although I suspect on such a busy joint it will be inconclusive unless there is a bone shard showing from a rupture. An MRI is much more likely to give a conclusive answer.

That was my instinct too (though without any rationale behind it as I know nothing about these things). The tendon weakening thing didn't exactly allay my hesitation. I'll push for the U/S which shouldn't be too long now. I bet I'll wait a long time for MRI if it's inconclusive Unhappy

Thanks for the info
hifiloverIcon...26-02-2014 @ 14:56 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
I'm currently suffering from:

Slight rupture to long-head bicep tendon in right arm
Slight tear to supraspinatus in right shoulder
Bursitis in right shoulder

Been to see my osteo quite a bit; has done as much as he can really now along with acupuncture

I've turned down an MRI (simply as I'll not fit) but may go and see a colleague of his with regards to laser therapy where it helps to heal the injury directly rather than treating the area around it etc...

I'm not too bad currently but it can and does raise its ugly head every so often (mainly on benching and OH pressing)

I take Paramol and ibuprofen if/when necessary but other than that I just train with it and make sure I'm properly warmed up etc...!
MattD90Icon...26-02-2014 @ 16:00 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
hifilover said:I'm currently suffering from:

Slight rupture to long-head bicep tendon in right arm
Slight tear to supraspinatus in right shoulder
Bursitis in right shoulder

Been to see my osteo quite a bit; has done as much as he can really now along with acupuncture

I've turned down an MRI (simply as I'll not fit) but may go and see a colleague of his with regards to laser therapy where it helps to heal the injury directly rather than treating the area around it etc...

I'm not too bad currently but it can and does raise its ugly head every so often (mainly on benching and OH pressing)

I take Paramol and ibuprofen if/when necessary but other than that I just train with it and make sure I'm properly warmed up etc...!

Do you feel squatting would aggravate yours ? because it I think squatting atm is feeling ok on it so that's all I'm doing, but don't want to push it
hifiloverIcon...26-02-2014 @ 20:17 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:
Do you feel squatting would aggravate yours ? because it I think squatting atm is feeling ok on it so that's all I'm doing, but don't want to push it

I can front squat but can't back squat as I'm unable to get my shoulder round enough to allow me to hold the bar properly!
MattD90Icon...02-03-2014 @ 19:35 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Something is definitely amiss with this. I can't find anyone online with an account of bursitis/bicep tendonitis that had such a profound weakness as I have.

Can't front raise any object heavier than a coffee mug, but there is no pain now. Just complete weakness. Something might be ruptured

I'll post updates in here all in the spirit of learning
hifiloverIcon...02-03-2014 @ 20:54 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
Sounds more like rotator cuff issues to me

When I tore mine I couldn't get a cup out of the cupboard or put one back etc...!
MattD90Icon...02-03-2014 @ 20:59 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
hifilover said:Sounds more like rotator cuff issues to me

When I tore mine I couldn't get a cup out of the cupboard or put one back etc...!

Due to pain or physical limitation? I'm painless now, just physically won't lift forward
hifiloverIcon...03-03-2014 @ 14:45 
Member 3241, 2043 posts
SQ 1, BP 192, DL 255
448.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:
Due to pain or physical limitation? I'm painless now, just physically won't lift forward

Both!

I literally couldnt get my arm to lift up and out straight without it either just stopping and/or causing electric shock like pain!

Can you hold your arm out straight in front of you palm facing down and then rotate your hand so palm is facing upwards?
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions