Bench vs no bench to improve your shoulder press

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

RodgerIcon...29-09-2013 @ 21:50 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Harry said:
I agree on this. Wide and close-grip trap pulls help develop these outside of the deadlift and so do the one-armed DB press.
Having developed my OH pressing a bit, I have excluded push pressing techniques which in my mind cancel out the true benefit of OH development unless you are aiming for maximum weight.
You'll find more often than not a man who can shift (for example) 100KG by pressing it is stronger at pressing from a dead stop than a man who can push press it for reps.
I use fat gripz, fat bar and a thick handle on Dbs. I've noticed a good change over the past 4 months in my upper body area.

Whats a trap pull mate? Upright row?
Dee1704Icon...30-09-2013 @ 12:05 
Member 4834, 146 posts
SQ 190, BP 127.5, DL 230
547.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
I'm currently on a quest to improve my overhead strength (in general, not only in the strict press), and I don't really bench press regulary.
I strict press, push press, and clean&press once a week each. I do often throw in the close grip bench, but more as a 'bodybuilding' type assistance/triceps builder, i.e. I do 2-3 sets of higher reps (8-10). It's feeling fine so far.
JFLIcon...30-09-2013 @ 20:04 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
The point about this post was to acknowledge the differences in developing your shoulder press versus the use of the bench press everyone will find different exercises will help them no exercise if done properly is cheating and purity in weight lifting will never happen we all have different body shapes longer trunks typically have to work their core harder on push press or military vs a short trucked individuals.
Short limbed has a good benefit for bench vs a long limbed person.
Taller individuals tend to use heir trunk unlike shorter individuals tend to squat down hence why short statured people are naturally good at squat and taller individuals are naturally better at deadlif.
It's all recognising your strengths and what suits you.

Incline bench has has a big impact as well as floor press on my shoulder press.

I'm lad this sparked a conversation cheers
HarryIcon...02-10-2013 @ 23:45 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Rodger said:
Whats a trap pull mate? Upright row?

Oh I just do a snatch grip on the bar. Have a decent weight on it and do a sort of snatch power row/pull. You gain momentum with your legs and pull it up like you were going to snatch it but you dont.
HarryIcon...02-10-2013 @ 23:49 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
JFL said:The point about this post was to acknowledge the differences in developing your shoulder press versus the use of the bench press everyone will find different exercises will help them no exercise if done properly is cheating and purity in weight lifting will never happen we all have different body shapes longer trunks typically have to work their core harder on push press or military vs a short trucked individuals.
Short limbed has a good benefit for bench vs a long limbed person.
Taller individuals tend to use heir trunk unlike shorter individuals tend to squat down hence why short statured people are naturally good at squat and taller individuals are naturally better at deadlif.
It's all recognising your strengths and what suits you.

Incline bench has has a big impact as well as floor press on my shoulder press.

I'm lad this sparked a conversation cheers

I am all for the long limbed people but the strongest strongmen are well over 6. If you fill out your frame and can utilise technique, I dont see how a short limbed person can out perform you.

Granted a man with longer arms does take longer to fill out, I've found adding bicep exercises helps stability in pressing.
RodgerIcon...04-10-2013 @ 13:11 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Harry said:
Oh I just do a snatch grip on the bar. Have a decent weight on it and do a sort of snatch power row/pull. You gain momentum with your legs and pull it up like you were going to snatch it but you dont.

ah Think i've seen a klokov vid of these in that case! cheersHappy
JFLIcon...16-10-2013 @ 20:12 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
Harry said:
I am all for the long limbed people but the strongest strongmen are well over 6. If you fill out your frame and can utilise technique, I dont see how a short limbed person can out perform you.
Granted a man with longer arms does take longer to fill out, I've found adding bicep exercises helps stability in pressing.

It's biomechanics basics short levers equal more power so yer a long limbed person might be as strong but shorter limbed people have a bigger advantage

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions