Who's Online - 1 member and 205 guests

UK's Strongest Man Scottish Qualifier Events

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

BigKenIcon...04-07-2010 @ 18:15 
Not in Loz's top 10 uk strongmen
Member 144, 4421 posts
SQ 320, BP 165, DL 350
835.0 kgs @ 123kgs Eq
Just back from the gym not long ago, nice to get back into things and do some lifting. Time for a write up.

First off, thanks to Stuart Murray, his family and all his helpers for putting on the comp, was a great day. Second thanks go to Glenn Ross for his professional refereeing over the course of the day. Lastly thanks go to my training partners Andy Cairney, Stainless and Naminder for making it a successful outing.

The first event was the BTN Press for max, was a bit aprehensive about it due to the minor knee injury I had a few weeks ago and thus not having done much great stuff for this in training. It was last man standing style starting at 115kg, up in 10kg jumps till 150kg and then in 5kg jumps. All lifts were good until a little stumble on the 155kg, but still got it on the first attempt. 160kg went up really easy and then got 165kg on the second attempt within the 60s time limit. I unracked the 170kg and it felt really light, popped it up but had to take one more step forward, but there was no more platform left to walk forward on so missed it. Was too tired to get it much above the head on second attempt. Goose and Louis both surprised me here tieing with me for second with 165kg; Stevie Cherry got 160kg so was nice to beat the pressing monster on his best event. Lee hit a 170kg press for a new Scottish record.

Next up was deadlift and it was HEAVY!!! 6 of the field got no lift and I got 2 with it. Close to getting a third, but looking back at the video I was hunched right over. Got tied fourth on this with Louis. Couldn't believe how heavy it was with the bar to front, definitly over 300kg I think, but not sure about the 320kg Glenn alluded to.

Third was the farmers medley and I knew I could pick up some big points here if I didn't muck it up. Looking back at the footage I was rapid with pretty much all the sets, with just a little stop before the 160s to rechalk. Cherry got 1st infront of me by between 3 to 5s.

Next up was my downfall of the comp. After 3 events I was second to Goose and knew I had to keep the pace up to be in with a shout of a second place since the next 3 events were all strengths for both Goose and Louis. The 240kg duck was was easy, ran back with the anchor and then couldn't get the shackle together. Got it done and set off on the drag, felt good at the start and then it just seemed to go dead, kept trying to drive it through, but didn't get that much further. Got 8th here which cost me big big points. Goose was the only man to finish the course, with Louis inches from finishing in second place if I recall correctly.

Car walk was the second last event and was looking forward to it since yoke has been going well lately. Started off well and got some good speed going, then I took a bad step and dropped the car onto my heel right on my Achillies. Took a second to recover from the pain and ensure I could still more my foot, back up and got the course finished. Still waiting to see where I placed on this.

Stones last and was hoping to load all six (110, 120, 140, 150, 160, 180). I was looking at the points and I was in third before stones, a point ahead of Cherry in fourth and 6 points ahead of Bren in 6th. Bren got 5 stones and Stevie got all 6, I knew I had to be fast to make sure I beat Bren to ensure a place at UK's. His time was about 46s for the 5 stones, I did 5 in 35s which was pretty slow and I really need to work them hard, but happy as I haven't really trained stone runs at all this year except for the Arnold. Had a go at the 180k, but it wasn't happening. Got 4th here behind Cherry, Goose and Louis and they are all very good stone lifters so happy that I can almost hang with them.

Overall got 4th, was a point and a half behind Stevie who got 3rd and 11 points clear of Bren in 5th. Bit disappointed about it, but it was the drag that let me down and I've going to be working drags hard to ensure it becomes a strength and also to aid conditioning as this was one thing that stood out which must be rectified!

Really looking forward to UK's and the Scottish team going this year should do very well and hopefully we'll see one of us in the final! Time to up the training and make sure I don't mess it up!
ThingIcon...04-07-2010 @ 18:50 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Well done on qualifying Ken. Goose a finally shut up a few doubters out there he'll let the uk scene show that he a overall good strongman.

Also well done to Lewis and Stevie too
muir2010Icon...05-07-2010 @ 18:37 
Member 1429, 94 posts
Its good to see goose win the two main events in scotland, it was good to see lee do a 170 behind he neck press and by the sound of things big ken is the king of the farmers, but anyway as ken says hopefully we will do well at the k this year as we have 4 good men taking part.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions