The Lone Wolf - Strength and Feasting!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

The_Lone_WolfIconThe Lone Wolf - Strength and Feasting!12-01-2016 @ 17:50 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Hello Sugden, you beautiful bas***ds!

Welcome one and all to my new Sugden journal.

I never buy into the whole new year new me guff, and I'm not really one for new year's resolutions, but to be brutally honest I just feel like a fresh start. I must admit, I'm rather fond of my previous journal over on MT as it encapsulates the up's and downs of my life in that time period. Looking back at my last journal, a fair amount happend in the time span (931 days to be exact), but I feel it has come to an end... Besides, I'm not one for looking back, so onwards and upwards it is!

For those interested, here is a link to my previous journal on MT...

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/The-Lone-Wolf-Strength-is-never-a-...

I feel different to the person who started that last journal... I can't fully explain it, but I have a different outlook on my life to back then. I feel wiser, more mature and my goals have changed. When it comes down to the bare bones, I'm a simple man in his early 30's, with 3 kids and a stressful job. I love my family, I love eating, and I love training, so that is what this journal will be all about.

Here are my current main best lifts:

Deadlift - 252.5 kg (Hook grip, no belt)
Back Squat - 230kg (Neoprene Sleeves and Belt)
Front Squat - 172.5kg (Neoprene Sleeves and Belt)
Push Press - 120kg (Single Ply Sleeves and Belt)
Strict Press - 90kg (Single Ply Sleeves and Belt)

When it comes to goal setting, I'd be foolish to sit here and say I'm 100% going to deadlift 300kg this year... Don't get me wrong, I'd love to deadlift 300kg this year but I'm a realist and know that strength training is a marathon and not a sprint. With that in mind, I feel a reasonable amount to add onto my lifts would make the following goals reasonably realistic.

Deadlift - 275kg (25kg increase)
Back Squat - 255kg (25kg increase)
Front Squat - 200kg (25kg increase)
Push Press - 140kg (20kg increase)
Strict Press - 110kg (20kg increase)

I've left bench press off, because I never do it and despite having an urge to return to it this year, I will most likely use it as an accessory movement only in the form of close grip benching.

With all that said, it's time to get back to work. The quest for strength gains starts now... No retreat, no surrender!
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...12-01-2016 @ 17:57 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22040 posts
The Lone Wolf - Strength, Insulina and Feasting!
The_Lone_WolfIcon...12-01-2016 @ 17:58 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:The Lone Wolf - Strength, Insulina and Feasting!

It was either insulina or vagine... I wanted to fit the word labia into there somehow but I'm tired and my creative and perverse mind is only running on 19% power.
b15ape1Icon...12-01-2016 @ 18:51 
British bum sex champ
Member 450, 1598 posts
SQ 315, BP 212.5, DL 290
817.5 kgs @ 137kgs Eq
Good luck with it Wolf lets hope the perversness returns shortly to normal levels Wink
The_Lone_WolfIcon...12-01-2016 @ 19:31 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
b15ape1 said:Good luck with it Wolf lets hope the perversness returns shortly to normal levels Wink

Cheers mate. I like Sugden, it's a far more suitable platform for my filthy mind than MT.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...15-01-2016 @ 13:48 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 15.01.2016 @ 13:55 PM by The_Lone_Wolf
Training!

I've been lucky enough to be given a training program and template from the strength savage and wise owl that is AMH_Power - The principles are simple, and the theme is the same... Volume and percentage manipulation. Now I have tweaked it slightly from the original plan, and I didn't go back to double check, but hopefully it's ok Happy

This will be my training lay out for the next few months...

Monday 6AM - Front Squats and Push Press (Axle)
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday 9PM - Deadlifts and Accessories.
Thursday - Rest/Conditioning
Friday 6AM - Strict Press (Log) and Accessories. (Friday 3PM Optional Fluff)
Saturday 6AM - Squats and Accessories
Sunday - Rest

Simple and hopefully very effective.

My first issues, and concern, is my lack of strength endurance and fitness. My work capacity is not great, and I'm like a cheap candle from the £1 shop that burns bright but burns fast. So jumping in with the full program would be a recipe for trouble, so I've tweaked it slightly and the first run of the cycle will simple be a fact finding mission. My first full week of training was completed last week, and followed the intended split but not the workload. I simply started in the 55% range and did speed work for my main lifts, simply to gauge the timings of sessions and get used to the system.

This week has gone, and I've nearly completed week 1. Thankfully I set my maxes a little lower than my true 1RMs, and the reason for that was again to hopefully get a full cycle under my belt and not burn out like said cheap candle.

From memory I put my working maxes into the program as...

Deads 240
Squat 220
Front Squat 160
Strict press 85
Push Press 115

This week has been tough, despite the lower numbers he volume has been hard work, and with the added measure of accessories, it's been a ball bag tester. Having skipped any real accessory work over the last few months, just that alone has done me in. I've also decreased my rest periods to try and get the required amount done in my time windows... All in all I need to up my game.

Food will be the same as always... Calories around 3.5k wit protein around 250g, and the rest coming from fats and carbs. I'm having carbs every day, but generally higher on training days and more fats on rest days.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...15-01-2016 @ 15:34 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
As I haven't made any real post training session posts detailing my goings on this week, I'll post a brief summary...

Monday

Front squats -

Top set: 135kg x 5 x 1
Volume sets: 125kg x 5 x 4

Axle clean and press -

Top set: 90kg x 5 x 1
Volume sets: 80kg x 5 x 4

Accessories: Face Pulls supersetted with Tricep work 3 x 10 of each.

Summary:

Hard work to be honest... The fronts were very hard, took it out of me! Axle clean and press was a bit better, and moved ok, but the whole session left me feeling it all over.

Wednesday

Deads -

Top set: 205kg x 5 x 1
Volume sets: 185kg x 5 x 4 from 2 inch deficit

Accessories: Front Foot Elevated Split Squats twinned with Weighted back extensions - 3 x 10 of each.

Summary:

Deads are still my nemesis... My whole body felt wrecked after these and I think I pooped a segment of my spine out later that night. My lower back was fried from the back extensions, and the volume on the deads wiped me out. I'm glad I set my starting maxes lower than I should.

Friday

Strict log press -

Top set: 72.5kg x 5 x 1
Volume sets: 65kg x 5 x 4

Accessories: Seated DB press supersetted with DB lat raises 3 x 10 of each.

Summary: The tank ran out of steam on the very last rep of my strict log. Accessories were a grind too.

So far, so good though. Hard work, but I will hopefully see some good results from it all and will start adding in more accessory work once I get better.

Squats tomorrow, can't wait!
The_Lone_WolfIcon...19-01-2016 @ 11:54 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Saturday morning 6am Squats were good, all moved smoothly.

Top set was a Beltless 187.5kg X 5

Volume work after that was 165kg X 5 for 4 sets

Accessories today were front foot elevated split squats... 8 reps each leg for 3 sets. These were harder than the back squats.

I could feel a tear roll down my labia on every rep of them... Hold me.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...19-01-2016 @ 11:55 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Morning all. Sadly I've been up since 4 as my little boy decided that 4 was a good time to start his day... Little turd. The missus was on a night shift so I took him downstairs to watch Thomas the tank engine in the hope that I could have a nap on the sofa... No such luck as every time I nodded off he would smack me in the face. So today my current mood is a little bit cranky to say the least.

I feel drained today though, physically mainly, but mentally I feel like I need a rest. Works already annoying me this year and I can feel myself slipping into my old habits of "IdontGiveAf**kMode". Currently doing 2 peoples jobs for 1 persons salary and despite my requests for a pay rise, it keeps going on the back burner.

Yesterday mornings session was a tough one, more on the grounds that I was tired and beaten up going in. 600mg of caffeine and a ton of amino acids and I rolled in like a fat marble and got my work done.

Front squats

Warm ups

bar x 5
60kg x 5
90kg x 5
115 x 4
130g x 2

Working sets

145kg x 4

130kg x 5 x 4 sets

Axle push press

warm ups

20kg x 5
40kg x 5
60kg x 4
75kg x 3
85kg x 2

Working sets

95kg x 4
85kg x 5 x 4 sets

Accessories

Face pulls and tricep fluff

Goodnight sweet prince! Fronts were ok once I got warmed up the 145 felt ok... The volume sets however were a little tougher just from fatigue. The axle moved ok though, but I was just knackered at this point. I need sleep... And a pizza.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...22-01-2016 @ 09:11 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Wednesday nights deadlift session was a strange one... I just felt crappy going in, with a horrible lack of energy and drive, and was suffering with a bad stomach. I really couldn't be bothered to go train and had to muster up some spirit from the depths of my nut sack to man up and go.

Following the plan and the numbers, I knew what I had to do and set to work. With my current overall feel of I feel like a steaming pile of dung, I was unsure how the session would pan out. I decided to do my usual warm up drills and then do less warm up sets so I got to my working sets quicker.

Deads - no Belt no straps.

70kg x 5
120kg x 4
165kg x 2
195kg x 1

Main Working Sets

215kg x 4

192.5kg x 5 for 3 sets

Strange... I felt like crap between sets, and was short of breath and felt like i was going to chuck up my O ring, but the bar was moving fine. A few reps my setup and execution felt a little sloppy, but my speed and power felt good. After my deads, I felt rubbish so decided to have a bit of a rest.

Back extensions 3 sets of 10 with 15kg plates
Split squats - Meh

I sacked the split squats off, just wanted to go home.

I got home and had a protein shake and some jaffa cakes and went straight to bed.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...22-01-2016 @ 13:34 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Oh Friday you cheeky little sort, you're a wonderful little minx!

Yesterday I had a bad day's eating which the reasons are 2 fold. Number 1 is that I under ate, and number 2 my food choices were poor... My own fault, and no excuses, but it wasn't ideal. When the alarm went off this morning I got out of bed and felt like I had a decent nights sleep, so that was a good start.

Pre workout cocktail consumed, and off to the gym I go. Strict press was on the cards today and due to my lateness, the kit I wanted to use was already in use, so I had to share with 2 other chaps. Because of this, and my lateness mainly, my warm ups were rushed.

Log Strict Press

55kg x 5
62.5kg x 4
70kg x 2

Working sets

77.5kg x 3 ( I wanted 4 but missed the last rep at lockout - The sadness in my eyes)
70kg x 3 for 3 sets.

Lack of warm up may be the reason for my struggles on the top set, but all in all todays pressing felt a bit laboured. Was it the poor days eating yesterday, or just the fact that I'm crap at strict pressing and need to sort my mangina out?

Fluff work -

A1) Seated DB Press 3 x 10
A2) Side Lat Raises 3 x 10
B) Trap 3 raises 6 x 5

All in all not a terrible session but not a banger either! I got some work done and despite being annoyed to miss the last rep on my top set, it could be a lot worse... I could have hair like Donald Trump.

I'm looking forward to squats tomorrow, peace and iron love to all.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...25-01-2016 @ 14:52 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
As usual, I'm behind schedule like a emergency room waiting list!

I trained again on Friday afternoon at my pony little work gym... The idea being to get some accessory work in and do some more hypertrophy based lifting, or as we all know... Being a show pony and chasing that pump! Bigger muscles are stronger muscles and all that jazz, plus it helps to look like you actually lift.

Friday Fluff

A) Paused Incline Chest Press - 5 sets of 10.
B) Seated Pin Press - 5 sets of 10

Time was short, so nailed the above and had a wonderful pump on. I also threw in some tricep fluff for good measure too. Hopefully over time, I can start throwing in some more bits and get some idea of what the smith machine bar actually weighs.

Saturday Morning Squats (Squataday)

I had a ropey nights sleep and woke up feeling drained like a deep sea fisherman's ball bag on shore leave. I had a tight time schedule too as I had to be in and out in a certain time window, so off I rolled.

Belt less back squats

Bar x 10
70kg x 5
110kg x 5
140kg x 4
170kg x 3
190kg x 1

Main working sets

200kg x 4
180kg x 5
180kg x 5
180kg x 5

110kg x 20

F.F.E.S.S 3 sets of 10

Done.

Squats moved ok, but the top set was tough... I could have hot 5 if I needed too, but I felt tired and wasn't powering up as I would want. The 180's felt better but again I started to flag on the last set. Was glad to finish up and hit all the reps. Front Foot Elevated Split Squats are just bellends!
The_Lone_WolfIcon...25-01-2016 @ 14:52 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
The weekend of child mayhem has been and gone, and I found myself rocking in a ball last night after eating a giant roast dinner and a lack of sleep. Still, Mondays are a fresh start and I was about to embark on week 3 of my new training cycle. Front Squats and Axle clean and press are a grand way to blow out the cobwebs and kick Monday right in the flaps!

As the weeks progress, the reps on the main working set decrease and the weight on the bar increases, simple overload. This week is heavy triples, so I rolled into the gym ready to front squat my face off.

Belt less Front squats

Warm ups

bar x 10
60kg x 5
90kg x 4
120kg x 3
135 x 1

Working sets

150kg x 3

135kg x 4
135kg x 4
135kg x 4

Axle push press

warm ups

20kg x 5
40kg x 4
60kg x 3
75kg x 3
85kg x 3

Working sets - Belt on

97.5kg x 3
87.5kg x 4
87.5kg x 4
87.5kg x 4

Accessories

Face pulls 3 x 10
Tricep push downs 3 x 10 (Pump-tastic)

All in all, a decent session. The only 2 issues today were as follows... 1) When reracking the bar after a set of front squats, I managed to get my beard caught under the bar and lost a chunk of beard hair. 2) I couldn't stop farting.

Lifting wise though, smooth as butter. The 150 triple was ok, and I could have got a few more out of someone put a gun to my head, and the last set of 135 moved delightfully well... Which as always shows how long it takes me to warm up.

Axle cleans were ok, but ran out of a bit of oomph on the power cleans towards the end, but the presses were fairly fluid and smooth.

Tonight I will try my best to get an early night. Peace and iron love to all!
The_Lone_WolfIcon...12-02-2016 @ 12:09 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Lurgys and other stuff have derailed my training cycle, so this journal is a little behind...

However, I did hit all the sessions needed despite some being delayed, and the numbers were all hit. So that is positive.

Speeding up to current day though...

I waited a few days before posting up my review of my Wednesday night deadlift session to try and let the dust settle.

In essence, the session didn't go according to plan, which is a shame. I always get annoyed when I miss a lift, or a rep etc, but look at it from the outside, sometimes it just happens.

Going in I actually felt strong mentally and physically, so I was really looking forward to it. I had cooked a couple of packs of lamb rump steaks which on the scale once cooked weighed in at 500g. I nailed them and felt manly, I was positive. The plan was to work up to 235kg for 2, and then drop down to 207.5kg for 3 sets of 3. All very doable and numbers I should hit with no issue.

Deads - no Belt no straps.

70kg x 5
110kg x 4
145kg x 3
175kg x 2
205kg x 1

Main Working Sets - Straps on

235kg x 1 + 1 Fail - Failed the second rep

207.5 x 3 for 2 sets

Well that was a stinker and the arse completely fell out of that session. The warm up and build up felt good, weights moving decent and no issues. I did some hook grip and some DOH before deciding to use straps for my top set. I don't know if I over thought the 230kg, or the straps ruined my flow, but the first rep was slow and uncomfortable... I completed the rep and dropped it back to reset for rep 2, took a breath and started pulling. As I got the bar to my knees - POP!!!!!!!

Something popped in my eye, and it wasn't just a small pop like a rice krispy being squashed, it felt like something bad. I dropped the bar and for a second I felt like my eye was bulging out the socket. I dashed into the toilet and had a look in the mirror. I was braced and straining for that 2nd rep so much that I assume a blood vessel burst in my eye lid. As I pulled my lower eyelid down to look it was full of blood and something has moved, and was sticking out. It wasn't, and still isn't pretty.

I decided to stop rubbing my mangina and went back to the bar a few minutes later and decided that it was the straps that caused me to have issues, and went for a hook grip pull... Not the best idea, as I then went for half arsed attempt to hit my second rep and missed it again, while of course my eye was throbbing even more.

Screw this, so I dropped back down to 207.5kg and hit a slow and painful triple. At this point my head started throbbing and what can only be described a pressure headache arrived.

I then decided to ignore that and hit another awful half arsed triple. Now my eyes really hurting and my head is on the verge of exploding. I dropped the bar and sat on a bench, I'm man enough to know when I'm done, and decided to call it a day there.

I went home, sulked, ate some food and went to bed. Eye aids is real.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...17-02-2016 @ 19:04 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.02.2016 @ 19:04 PM by The_Lone_Wolf
Eye update from Saturday...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Dinzarelli/eyeball_zpsb...

Thankfully it is on the mend now and looks less like a Dracula savaged pissflap has grown inside my eyelid.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions