Who's Online - 0 members and 185 guests

Squatting without pushing your knees out

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JackRevansIconSquatting without pushing your knees out12-03-2019 @ 10:49 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Until 2 days ago I had never squatted like this. Somewhere early on in my training career I must have (rightly or wrongly) picked up the idea that you should "open up the hips" while squatting, essentially pushing your knees out, at least to some degree.

After taking quite a long break from squatting, I became intrigued by the way that someone at my gym (who is actually extremely strong) squats, which is low bar, no shoes and he said he lets his knees go pretty much straight forward.

I tried this yesterday and it felt pretty weird. It was extremely quad dominant and seemed to remove quite a lot of glute involvement. It didnt feel uncomfortable though.

Anyone else squat like this?
JonA81Icon...12-03-2019 @ 14:54 
Member 2216, 2243 posts
Kaz? Luke Richardson?
DeanW92Icon...12-03-2019 @ 17:23 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
I have always used the cue "force the knees out" after seeing it advised so many times on the interwebs, however i have recently stopped doing this.

I think this is a good cue for people who have knee cave and struggle to keep there knees tracking inline with there feet but because i never had this issue i caused myself problems by unnecessarily following this cue. This lead to me overarching my feet and putting a load of pressure on the outside of my feet and i think its the cause of the knee and hip problems ive had for some time, i actually feel my glutes working better now that ive stopped forcing my knees out.
BigMaccaIcon...12-03-2019 @ 22:28 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
'Forcing your knees out' is just a cue to get the lifter to engage their glutes and tends to get people to simply weight the outside of their feet (watch for the big toe lifting up off the floor)

I think a better cue for me is to just concentrate on your feet are doing.

The pressure should be distributed equally between the heal, big toe and little toe.
From there, the floor should be gripped (reinforcing your arch) and the feet screwed into the ground.

This will engage the glutes and ensure that the feet are stable. The knees will then track to the outside of the feet automatically
DeanW92Icon...13-03-2019 @ 10:21 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:'Forcing your knees out' is just a cue to get the lifter to engage their glutes and tends to get people to simply weight the outside of their feet (watch for the big toe lifting up off the floor)

I think a better cue for me is to just concentrate on your feet are doing.

The pressure should be distributed equally between the heal, big toe and little toe.
From there, the floor should be gripped (reinforcing your arch) and the feet screwed into the ground.

This will engage the glutes and ensure that the feet are stable. The knees will then track to the outside of the feet automatically

This is where i struggled as pushing knees out would cause me to loose the 3 points of contact.

Also instead of helping engage the glutes it just ended up putting tension on the front of my hip and making depth harder to reach.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions