REGISTER
 

Namonster's Feeble Attempt

12

NamonsterIconNamonster's Feeble Attempt20-07-2009 @ 20:45 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
Evening!

I'll hopefully be training again come Monday 27 July 2009 and I'm thinking of doing the following for the subsequent six weeks:

Monday - Chest (Flat barbell, incline dumbell and flies)
- Deadlifts
- Ham String Curls

Wednesday - Back (Wide and close grip pull downs, barbell rows)
- Biceps (Barbell curl, reverse grip barbell curls)
- Power snatches

Thursday - Legs (Squats, leg presses)
- Shoulders (Standing barbell presses and dumbell side raises)
- Triceps (Dips, close grip barbell presses and cable pull downs)

Firstly, before I commence, is there anything I should alter and secondly, is there anything else I can add to hams and shoulders?

Cheers,
NamonsterIcon...20-07-2009 @ 21:39 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
Ps. I've not got the facilities at the gym to do any strongman training, however, can anyone advise any adaptions? Hopefully I can buy equipment in the not too distant future.
kingham22Icon...20-07-2009 @ 23:24 
Avatar
my face was on fire
Member 494, 2394 posts
SQ 250, BP 150, DL 320
720.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
hi there maybe could add some pushpresses and grip work. u done any comps b4?
JoniIcon...21-07-2009 @ 14:05 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
what are your goals mate?

If it is strength related, then dont think of your body as collection of parts which you would target separately, but rather start thinking your training around the main movements you need to be nailing & possible assistance movements for them.

- deadflift
- overhead work (press, push press, jerk etc)
- squat (front and back)

and thats about it Grin

some good info here:
http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/articles/So-You-Want-To-Be-A-St...
NamonsterIcon...21-07-2009 @ 18:29 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
Not done any competitions. Was going to enter one earlier in the year but managed to smash my ribs so that was a no.

My ultimate aim is strength, however, I do it more as a hobby than anything else. I've no real intention of seriously competing but I would compete as an amateur in Scotland.

In regards to events I haven't got the equipment and most places are far from me. I've tried to think of a way to split my training into three days and this is the best way I could do it.

Your help is much appreciated!
JoniIcon...21-07-2009 @ 19:34 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
aye hobby or not, better take it seriously mate Grin

Whereabouts in scotland are you from? Quite many great strongman training grounds there - even if you could only make it to them once in a blue moon, and just nail the basic gym lifts and a lot of overhead meanwhile.

I dont think it is worth it to start trying to emulate the strongman events with gym equipment.

Oh, and grip work, that can benefit from just normal gym work so when you do face the farmers walk you will be ready.
kingham22Icon...21-07-2009 @ 21:42 
Avatar
my face was on fire
Member 494, 2394 posts
SQ 250, BP 150, DL 320
720.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
i didnt have any equipment for my first 2 comps and not done lots of traing on equipment the excersizes i found the most useful are deads, pushpresses, power shrugging.(heavy shrugging using a little legs) plate rows, zercher squats, and powercleans. good luck
NamonsterIcon...22-07-2009 @ 18:42 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
I'm from the best part, Glasgow!

Would anyone be as so kind enough to give me a sample three day split excluding event training then?
NamonsterIcon...22-07-2009 @ 21:00 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
In regards to "copying" events the things that I have tried in the past are loading dumbells and walking lengths up and down the studio gym and doing a reverse T-bar row i.e. standing in front of the loaded barbell and lifting and pressing.

Maybe a bit lame but damn they knock the hell out of you.
Nick79Icon...23-07-2009 @ 07:58 
will beat Buzz in the next comp
Member 358, 713 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 220
580.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Hi mate,
I've got a few bits of strongman kit I train with (hamilton) and Buzz off here runs Unit20 over in Southqueensferry. You're welcome to come along for a session if you like.
NamonsterIcon...23-07-2009 @ 18:22 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
Nick, thanks for the offer; I'm likely to take you up on it. South Queensferry is somewhat far though. I am thinking of taking a trip to the gym in Dumbarton but I need to a) get back what I've during four weeks in being off ill and b) concentrate on some strength training at the gym for a while before I make a complete and utter fool of myself trying to do event training!

I've had a re-think of my programme and I've come up with the following. Could you please give me your thoughts on it. I was hoping to add some incline bench somewhere but not sure.

Monday

Squat
Power Cleans
Wide grip pull downs
Barbell Rows
Grip work

Wednesday

Strict standing barbell shoulder press
Push Press
Shrugs
Barbell Curls
Ab Work

Thursday

Deadlifts
Power Snatches
Flat dumbbell bench press
Close grip barbell press
Dips or Tricep pull downs


I was going to start with five weeks of 5 sets x 5 reps, then five weeks of 8 sets x 3 reps and then two weeks of 10 sets x 1 rep.
d_singhIcon...23-07-2009 @ 23:16 
Gillette - The best a man can get
Member 466, 1389 posts
SQ 196, BP 120, DL 254
570.0 kgs @ 74kgs UnEq
well i work on a similar spilt i.e monday , wed , fri. thats a good start giving plenty of rest between squats and deadlifts. have you thought about doing chest on wed , giving more focus to it rather then after deads when you are tired.
d_singhIcon...23-07-2009 @ 23:21 
Gillette - The best a man can get
Member 466, 1389 posts
SQ 196, BP 120, DL 254
570.0 kgs @ 74kgs UnEq
oh yea remember to work on technique making sure you get plenty of depth on squats giving you full development. start light with your routine and slowly work up in small increments every week on your main three lifts. eventually you prob will fail with target but dont worry just drop a set/reps or try again week after.

i see you got a bit of strong man stuff in there with things like push press which is good . im still working on that myself
NamonsterIcon...23-07-2009 @ 23:22 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
Yeah I did but I thought by doing shoulders it won't give enough focus for chest, however, I'm likely to be wrong. Obviously a more experienced input would probably make me change it!
NamonsterIcon...27-07-2009 @ 22:30 
Avatar
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
After five weeks off ill (and having lost a stone) and about seven months off doing anything (listening to a personal trainer telling me to work light peripheral muscles) I finally recommenced training today. This is how bad it went:

Squats:

Warm up
100 x 5
110 x 5
120 x 4 (Failed on the last)
110 x 5
110 x 5 (My abs cried on this one)

Power Cleans

40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5

Lat Pull Downs

60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5
65 x 5

Bent Over Rows (On the last couple of sets my posture was getting a little off)

40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5

Grip Work

120 for 10 secs
140 for 10 secs
140 for 10 secs
120 for 10 secs
Gave up after this.

All in all my body is completely knackered and I feel weak!

12

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions