Grip training

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JFLIconGrip training25-09-2013 @ 19:54 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
my grip training 

Grip is one of the most difficult to train because of secondary problems which il go through in abit. My experience is that you have either have a good grip and find these tests of strength effortless or like me your constantly trying to strengthen your grip.

My grip is far from the likes of Mark Felix , Mike Burke , or Steve Gardener and I have learnt all the tricks in the book to help me get the best grip out of a bar and not the other way around.

There are a number of ways of looking at your grip strength and how to improve it. Firstly you need to look at the different types of grip, there's the power grip, lumbar grip, pinch grip, hook grip, spherical grip and cylindrical grip (these 2 are extensions of the power grip). 

So in my opinion and looking at the strongman events pinch doesn't have much use in the sport and the power grip is only helpful if you compete in grip contests and use the captain of crush. Grip competitions are a good experience and worth doing so highly recommend it cause those guys really know their stuff. 

So for me I found that lumbar grip carries over into strongman events and is good to train to increase the strength I your lubricals, thenar and hyper thenar eminence (I won't go through the muscle groups it'll bore you lol ), which is needed in all gripping events and and it works the muscle in your hand  in their outer range. I also tend to train the spherical and cylindrical grip which not only is an extension of the power grip but also an complex extension of the lumbar grip but in strongman the most functional and probably the easiest to train throughout the week.

Also hook grip is a good grip to train as this can be a naturally really strong grip and when your competing it can make the difference between first and last. So the best way to train this is with your finger loop handles for pull downs. 

Due to the structure and biomechanics of the hand and muscle structure grip will respond well to regular and frequent training. The obvious side effect of this is tendonitis so the trick is little and often and also working the eccentric more than the concentric. 

So some tips and I'm open to any ideas you all have lets keep it all open:
- deadlift, try not to use straps but keep an eye on your biceps on the heavy weights.
- fat grips are good to use on 2-3 days a week and I only use on 1-2 exercises tops. 
- rolling thunder
- resistant band rolling thunder and block pinch grip (yes this is dangerous lol)
- extension bands 
- sledge hammer work 
- finger loops for pull downs 
- axel pressing and deadlift
- double overhand deadlift 

Hammer training is helpful for farmers cause when that weight starts to move/sway front-back or when pressing the log you need that wrist stability to prevent your grip opening up and dropping the weight and also stabilising the weight overhead.

I have found that the best way to train grip is to make sure you train with your elbow straight (There are some exercise you cant help this so when you do try to keep the weight light) as that will put the muscle in a shortened position and because your have small muscle bellies and attached to a long tendon there is a lot of strain on the muscle. The key to increasing your grip is to increase your tendon strength.  Big forearms don't equal strong grip but big hands help. 

I have to be very strict with training this as if I slack off for 2-3 weeks my grip reduces.

By Lloyd Renals
adamduttonIcon...25-09-2013 @ 20:24 
Member 3694, 281 posts
SQ 260, BP 172.5, DL 280
712.5 kgs @ 132kgs UnEq
Nice article, some very good tips there.
Big_VessIcon...25-09-2013 @ 20:45 
I am pro for the dish
Member 934, 998 posts
SQ 205, BP 157.5, DL 215
577.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Thank you. Interesting read.
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitGrip training
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions