REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 10 members and 34 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

First Comp/Meet

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

AdamTIconFirst Comp/Meet19-05-2014 @ 15:04 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4755 posts
How did you guys find the nerves on your first Comp/meet.

Did you find the extra adrenaline of comepeting, add to your performance? Or did it hinder it?

Also did many of you hit any pbs first time around?

Cheers.
AaronJIcon...19-05-2014 @ 17:32 
Avatar
Intolerant of old shtick.
Member 5276, 431 posts
SQ 222, BP 145, DL 265
632.0 kgs @ 96kgs UnEq
First (and only time) I competed was about a year after I began lifting.

I was nervous as hell leading up to it, had no idea what to expect. It was the GBPF Unequipped Push/Pull 2012.

I doubt he remembers but Bryn Evans was a huge help on the day. I'd never competed before, and he guided me through the day, helping to pick all my lifts for me, and I ended up pulling a 20kg PR - 215kg.

I had a really fantastic day, and the adrenaline was a huge boost. If I was doing it again I would do a lot more volume in the run-up and peak properly. As it was I just sort of f**ked around in the gym for a couple months before then turned up on the day.

To answer the question, the adrenaline definitely played a huge part in the deadlift PR, and added to my performance. I was hugely nervous beforehand, I probably slept about 2 hours the night before, but when you're actually there you realise everyone is rooting for you to do well and nerves disappear.
AdamTIcon...19-05-2014 @ 20:17 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4755 posts
AaronJ said:First (and only time) I competed was about a year after I began lifting.

I was nervous as hell leading up to it, had no idea what to expect. It was the GBPF Unequipped Push/Pull 2012.

I doubt he remembers but Bryn Evans was a huge help on the day. I'd never competed before, and he guided me through the day, helping to pick all my lifts for me, and I ended up pulling a 20kg PR - 215kg.

I had a really fantastic day, and the adrenaline was a huge boost. If I was doing it again I would do a lot more volume in the run-up and peak properly. As it was I just sort of f**ked around in the gym for a couple months before then turned up on the day.

To answer the question, the adrenaline definitely played a huge part in the deadlift PR, and added to my performance. I was hugely nervous beforehand, I probably slept about 2 hours the night before, but when you're actually there you realise everyone is rooting for you to do well and nerves disappear.


That was the sort of response I was looking for, cheers mate. Have my first meet May 31st. Really looking forward to it.
KevC86Icon...19-05-2014 @ 20:36 
Avatar
Naps, family time and good food.
Member 5141, 2722 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I loved mine, great day, chance to meet folk with a similar interest, and a load of laughs. I cant wait for the next one.
AdamTIcon...19-05-2014 @ 21:19 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4755 posts
KevC86 said:I loved mine, great day, chance to meet folk with a similar interest, and a load of laughs. I cant wait for the next one.


I'm looking forward to it. Its been a while before done anything competitive. I don't expect to place high, I'll just be happy to get a pb or 2 and hopefully pass all my lifts.
aaron_lohanIcon...20-05-2014 @ 09:33 
Avatar
Hasn't always been a bench press specialist
Member 44, 1899 posts
SQ 252.5, BP 220, DL 210
682.5 kgs @ 83kgs Eq
In my first comp I did 177.5, 115, 180
I know that the 180 was a PB, I think the 177.5 might have been equal pb or outright pb, I think the bench was below a PB since I missed my second attempt. The total was a PB. I wouldn't worry though any lifts you do in comp will be pbs- Comp pbs. In the future you will realise that comp pbs are better than gym pbs.
AdamTIcon...20-05-2014 @ 12:35 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4755 posts
aaron_lohan said:In my first comp I did 177.5, 115, 180
I know that the 180 was a PB, I think the 177.5 might have been equal pb or outright pb, I think the bench was below a PB since I missed my second attempt. The total was a PB. I wouldn't worry though any lifts you do in comp will be pbs- Comp pbs. In the future you will realise that comp pbs are better than gym pbs.


Good post. Yeah lifting on the platform is going to be different than the gym. No matter what I total, I will just have to make sure I beat it next time. Cheers
newhybridIcon...20-05-2014 @ 12:56 
Avatar
Member 3714, 637 posts
SQ 265, BP 177.5, DL 265
707.5 kgs @ 97kgs Eq
for some reason i wasnt particularly nervous and havent really been since. i've hit at least 1 PB at each comp i've been at so i guess i must do ok in the comp atmosphere.
AdamTIcon...20-05-2014 @ 14:56 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4755 posts
newhybrid said:for some reason i wasnt particularly nervous and havent really been since. i've hit at least 1 PB at each comp i've been at so i guess i must do ok in the comp atmosphere.


I'd be happy with a pb. My squat has been the only lift that has still been going up since I cut weight. Suppose I have been deadlifting after squat and bench to mimick the comp, it has certainly suffered.
© Sugden Barbell 2019 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto