| AdamT | ... | 24-03-2023 @ 12:00 | |
AKA the great reset Member 4056, 5209 posts | Post Edited: 25.03.2023 @ 11:32 AM by AdamT The_Lone_Wolf said: Thank you haha, I have certainly done some damage in the past not only to myself, but also buffet restaurants. The honest answer is that I sought professional help for food addiction, but my GP shot me down in classic GP style. I ended up doing my own therapy and learned tools to help me with my own eating issues. However, it does still creep up on me quite often and I have to take a step back and have word with myself. The strongest tool I learned was self-accountability and the art of discipline. I don’t think it is a culture shock because I still eat foods that I like, just try my best to manage my intake and not eat everything in sight. Last night I cooked a 2kg beef joint, and once rested and served, I ate 500g of beef and consumed all the resting juices. I felt fairly full and content in my stomach, but my brain was delayed and was trying to make me eat more. I declined and stood strong, and maintained my discipline. The current situation I find myself is so far has been quite easy to manage. My weight has gone up and down over the last 10 years, with my lowest weight of 93kg when I competed in a comp, up to my a ghastly 120kg. None of that is quality tissue mind, but I do carry it quite well. Regardless, my health is currently a focus and I do not need to be the weight I am now at 40 years of age. It offers me no benefit, and it certainly is not needed for sporting performance. Just a fat mess sadly. All of that comes down to a life long issue with overeating and gluttony (Which is why I gravitated to strongman and powerlifting to 'justify' the eating). My advice to anyone past 40 is to really take a good hard and long look in the mirror and to be honest with yourself, which is often the hardest person to be honest with. Health truly is wealth! Find a diet, or at least a nutritional plan that you like, and that you can follow. Be more active, and try to take positive steps to change things. Keep an eye on markers such as blood pressure, weight, body fat levels, quality and amount of sleep, blood work if you can. I‘ve got 4 kids ranging from 16 to almost 2, and I’d rather they didn’t have to come to my funeral for another 40 plus years. Amazing post Food addiction is real, nobody chooses to be obese despite what they may say. It looks terrible and most important it's terrible for your health Good on you for getting on track. I too have drastically changed my lifestyle in recent years. Fasting Eating low/moderate carbs Higher healthy fats Moderate to high protein 4 litres of water per day Getting plenty of fibre The above has made a massive difference. Not only to physical health, but also mental health I wouldn't swap how I feel now for 1000kg total. No way in hell! | ||
| billynomates | ... | 24-03-2023 @ 19:17 | |
Member 4923, 1795 posts | Yes great post Wolfy. Big respect for how you've taken control of the eating issue. Keep up the good work! I too am practicing my own therapy after finding the professional approach ineffective. Truly honest self-reflection can help a lot in addressing issues, but I imagine its very difficult for most. You have to let your ego go and face up to often harsh realities about yourself. | ||
| The_Lone_Wolf | ... | 27-03-2023 @ 10:32 | |
I eat a lot of meat Member 5124, 3014 posts SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq | Thanks chaps, very kind of you. I certainly do have my struggles still, but I find it easier now to manage and get back on track. Ego is such a powerful tool, but it can be very bad if you don't manage it. I remember hearing a now former IFBB pro called Ben Pakulski say years ago, I eat to my current settings... Quite simply, if he is not training or travelling, he does not need an excessive amount of carbs or calories. He would change his food intake amount and type if his demands would change. Quite an obvious but very underused approach. At one stage, I was certainly in the camp of I must eat eveything to maintain my size, strength and all that jazz and just trying to justify my greed because I was a strongman and powerlifter 5 years ago haha. As I said before, being honest with yourself is often the hardest person to be honest with, especially when one's ego and issues are running wild. | ||
| slimsim | ... | 28-03-2023 @ 15:22 | |
My asshole is not watertight. Member 2926, 6051 posts SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq | I can't comment on being pre-diabetic BUT I can comment on being diabetic, Type 1, so insulin dependent specifically. You don't want to need insulin, trust me. It's a pain in the ass. If I have a pizza for tea I need to set an alarm for the middle of the night to inject more insulin. A little bit too much insulin or too much activity for the insulin I've had and it's like I'm drunk, to the point where I've literally "had a fall" when being out hiking because my legs are no longer my own. I go through more sweets now as a T1 than I ever did before because I need the sugar to boost my blood sugar if I take marginally too much insulin, which is easily done if you're active. I'd defo do what's been suggested and cut the carbs and calories right down. You're health is far more important that being strong. | ||