Lower back pain from squats

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MattD90IconLower back pain from squats, help!29-01-2012 @ 23:18 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 29.01.2012 @ 23:19 PM by MattD90
So squatting gives me awful piercing lower back pain, very low (sacral maybe?). I don't get it every time I squat, sometimes I get lucky but most times I do.

The pain only occurs under weight. So if it comes on after squatting, once I rack the bar and go home I'm fine. But then if I come back to squat 3 days later, and get under anything above 120kg the pain comes back and I can't even lift what should be a warmup. So sometimes I have to lay off squatting for like a week before it goes.

- The pain happens in the hole. If I squatted say 2 inches high for example, there would be no pain.
- I squat low bar, usually for 3x5 or 3x3, twice a week, and only max every few weeks or so. If I deload to say 120kg (max is 152) things will go well for a while, but once I start adding +2.5 every session I start creeping towards 90%, I get injured again.
- My stance is slightly wider than shoulder width, and I think I shove my knees out very well.
- For assistance I do stuff like lunges, leg press, front squats and SLDLs. None of these give me pain really so I often have to do them if squats are hurting. I do some weighted sit ups and planks on squat day but could probs do more.
- I stretch hip flexors, hams, calves, pecs and glutes twice a day, and foam roll/oly bar roll all the major stuff after all squat days
- I do sometimes have a slight issue with a little forward lean and I'm constantly trying to get rid of it. Maybe it's to blame?

Vids: (After the 145 double I couldn't squat for a week. Even warming up with 100 in the hole was agony)

Sorry for the long post. If I go to the gym and do lunges/leg press etc the only thing that limits how much I can do is general muscle fatigue and tiredness. I would LOVE that to be the case with squats but they just feel so "backy" that it's usually intense pain that dictates when I have to stop, even if it's after one work set.
ThingIcon...30-01-2012 @ 07:42 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
sounds similar to what i have with mine being diagnosed as a Nerve issue in the Facet jonts of the lower Back , L3, L4 and L5

as if it was muscular the pain would be constant. if i were you if its a new injury ice it and dont squat anything for a week and start stretching to open up the joints in your spine.

By the way i'm not a doctor, but i do have personal experience and found things that have worked for me.
MattD90Icon...30-01-2012 @ 18:00 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Thing said:sounds similar to what i have with mine being diagnosed as a Nerve issue in the Facet jonts of the lower Back , L3, L4 and L5

as if it was muscular the pain would be constant. if i were you if its a new injury ice it and dont squat anything for a week and start stretching to open up the joints in your spine.

By the way i'm not a doctor, but i do have personal experience and found things that have worked for me.

ok mate thanks for the reply, I really value any opinion I can get on this. Do you still deadlift when you have the pain? I can deadlift fine but this may be to do with the fact I DL sumo so lower back angle is rather upright.

Do you think a wide stance squat would help too, by giving a more upright lower back? I have been told by some people that the fact I squat shoulder width-ish with a low bar is a recipe for folding in half and hurting the lower back, so may I should go wider?
MattD90Icon...30-01-2012 @ 18:00 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Thing said:sounds similar to what i have with mine being diagnosed as a Nerve issue in the Facet jonts of the lower Back , L3, L4 and L5

ok mate thanks for the reply, I really value any opinion I can get on this. Do you still deadlift when you have the pain? I can deadlift fine but this may be to do with the fact I DL sumo so lower back angle is rather upright.

Do you think a wide stance squat would help too, by giving a more upright lower back? I have been told by some people that the fact I squat shoulder width-ish with a low bar is a recipe for folding in half and hurting the lower back, so may I should go wider?
ThingIcon...30-01-2012 @ 21:41 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
I deadlift but it how I use too, the lock out is the worst but I getting better.
What I would do is get a good stretching routine for your lower body and the service theback is but drop the weight down on the squats
Also increase the core work too then take it from there. If it gets worse stop and then seek a doctor or chiropractor or osteopaths advice
MattD90Icon...30-01-2012 @ 21:50 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Ok thanks, really appreciate it
MattD90Icon...31-01-2012 @ 13:21 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Oh another thing to add- had sports massage on the whole area and it didn't really help
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions