REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 250 guests

Strong is the new skinny

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Kenny_CIcon...24-06-2011 @ 19:20 
Member 707, 1517 posts
Muscle_up said:
Yes it is, not proud of it, but it's not where you come from, it's where you go.
Thanks for the comments, will try to give you all something worth reading Grin

Totally agree, I was 63/64kg at my first powerlifting comp at 6ft. It's definitely not what you were but what you're training to be (not that being skinny is the end of the world)

Training looks good. Keep it up.
Muscle_upIcon...25-06-2011 @ 15:15 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Conditioning day

1000m row
30 secs on/ 30 secs off kettlebell swings for 10 mins
500m row
30 secs on/ 30 secs off kettlebell swings for 10 mins
500m row

I was definately sat on by some kind of heavy jubgle creature whilst I slept last night. Woke up this morning aching in that 'definately worked hard yesterday' kind of a way.
Thing with KB swings is that they can be really meditative, even when you're gassed and sweatin,g that repetitive motion just seems to loosen everything up. I actually felt better coming out han when I went in.
Now to turn things around ready for monday Happy
Muscle_upIcon...27-06-2011 @ 09:44 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Heavy day

Power cleans 52.5kg 3/3/3/2/3
Deadlift 85kg 5/5/5/5/5
Seated cable row 17.5kg 10/10/10/10
Close grip lat pull down 45kg 10/10/10/10

Weighted crunches w/10kg plate

Today I learned the difference between managing and mastering a weight. Whereas the first time I did 85kg for 5's I felt as if I didnt have a single rep left in the tank by the end, today I felt like I could have gotten an extra rep per set if I had needed to. I can adjust that top end weight for the session rather than sticking rigidly to what my max is and then leaving the gym feeling as the weight has defeated me. Today I feel as I won for a change, rather than the weight defeating me.
Definately worked hard, it wasn't as if I took it easy, but I didnt go to failure, instead leaving that extra rep in the bank.
Good session, and a boost in confidence Grin
Muscle_upIcon...29-06-2011 @ 09:16 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Speed Day

10x2 Back squat 45kg (off 1 minute recoveries)
5x5 SLDL 60kg
4x8 Leg press 140kg
4x12 Leg extension 47.5kg

Ab work: weighted crunches w/10kg plate, reverse crunches & russian twists with 10kg plate

Things felt good this morning, felt as if I was powering through on my squats. Tried to speed up my SLDL's and really snap the hip extension, and although the leg press was heavy I tried to think about pushing it as fast as possible (though controlling the eccentric)
Resisted the urge to add more things, because the session was shorter than when I squat my 5x5's.
I have tried to get in some ab work at the end of my sessions because although I dont doubt the efficacy of squats/deadlifts etc on buliding core strength I do still feel that the abdominals need to be trained isotonically to get any real size and shape to them.
SophieIcon...29-06-2011 @ 09:35 
Member 2391, 72 posts
SQ 100, BP 60, DL 145
305.0 kgs @ 72kgs UnEq
Well done. Although I've been training for ages I also still find the lack of sweat in a weights session upsetting and don't feel like I've worked unless I have sweat or ache. However, it definitely works somehow!
I also have the same feelings about max reps, I'm not sure I should put things like this on a "strongman" site, but I think max reps place too much unnecessary strain on the body if done most sessions and every week. I think there's a lot to be said for volume.
Hope you enjoy your training more.
Muscle_upIcon...29-06-2011 @ 11:45 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Thanks Sophie, and I agree that pushes for maxes isnt a good idea every session. The reason I had been doing that for so long is that it's such an easy way to track progress. I personally prefer the higher rep ranges for my lower body and could squat until the cows come home with a submaximal load, but then add a few more kilos and i'm screwed.
I dont think you'll be lynched for saying that heavy training isnt always the righ thing - we're all an experiemnt of n=1, and it's not about what the books say you should do, it's about tracking your own progress and seeing what kind of training suits you, your goals and your recoverability.
Sometimes I am guilty of knowing all of this and not practising it, but i'm learning!
Good luck with your own training.
Tim
VanillaGorillaIcon...29-06-2011 @ 12:26 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Post Edited: 29.06.2011 @ 12:27 PM by VanillaGorilla
Sophie said:I think max reps place too much unnecessary strain on the body if done most sessions and every week. I think there's a lot to be said for volume.

In yours and Tims case I agree, but there are too many examples of exceptional lifters (and average lifters tbh) training this way with a lot of success. There are plenty of examples of lifters on here who train/ed that way, Cleggy and JC spring to mind. It shouldn't be discounted for everyone, look at Average Broz training crew. But then also look at the various high volume and alternating methodology programmes there are out there.

What works for some does not for others, don't dismiss it.

I think, in addition, that too many people when changing methods jump into it too hard, for example going from a 3xPW 5x5 system into 10 DMax sessions PW, without the necessary tapering allowing for physiological adaptation.
Muscle_upIcon...29-06-2011 @ 21:28 
Member 2554, 280 posts
VanillaGorilla said:
In yours and Tims case I agree, but there are too many examples of exceptional lifters (and average lifters tbh) training this way with a lot of success. There are plenty of examples of lifters on here who train/ed that way, Cleggy and JC spring to mind. It shouldn't be discounted for everyone, look at Average Broz training crew. But then also look at the various high volume and alternating methodology programmes there are out there.
What works for some does not for others, don't dismiss it.
I think, in addition, that too many people when changing methods jump into it too hard, for example going from a 3xPW 5x5 system into 10 DMax sessions PW, without the necessary tapering allowing for physiological adaptation.

Of course, and that's why I think everyone needs to work out what works for them and their goals. If somebody's going out there to compete in an event that calls for max effort lifting then there's a need to keep pushing up the ceiling of maximum effort but I think that if that isnt your focus, in the case of bodybuilding, or even sport specific training, then theres a question of how strong you really need to be (in the max effort territory) in order to achieve your goal.
There's also the longevity issue, because again if max strength isnt your primary goal then training submaximally will likely increase your ability to train consistently for a longer period of time.

I wouldnt dismiss max effort training at all, and it certainly has it's place in certain phases of a cycle, and some poeple may react really well to that kind of training(strangely my upper body responds well to the lower rep ranges with a higher weight). Im order to progress you do have to achieve some kind of overload obviously, and if we discount using partials/lift variants to achieve it, then you have either the option of adding more weight or completing more reps.

My point is that if you dont have the capacity to add more weight to your top end (and I still dont understand why I seem to go against all of the training literature there in terms of my 20 rep to 5 rep maxes) then you have to overload through the number of reps performed with that same weight.

When we spoke the other day you said that you seem to grow really well off singles and doubles, and I beleive that this is because you have reached a level in which you can push hard enough to reach the threshold required for the physiological response to that stimulus -you are able to pretty consistently overload through adding more weight to the bar and recover from those efforts. In my case, as far as my lower body movements go, I am better suited to adding a greater number of reps whilst keeping the load consistent and seem to bottom out at the top end a lot sooner (I dont think, for instance that my 1 rep max on the squat would be very much more than what I do for 5x5's, which in turn is not massively different from my 3x20's).
I am not using this as an argument not to do lower rep strength work because I think that's necessary, but in certain cases in may be easier to progress in ways other than adding to your max efforts.

Hopefully my thoughts didnt all get mishmashed and confused too much there, in my head I know the point that I was trying to get across, but I dont know if it always comes out in quite the way I wanted it to.
Muscle_upIcon...01-07-2011 @ 09:42 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Post Edited: 01.07.2011 @ 09:42 AM by Muscle_up
Back squat 47.5kg 21/22/23
Bench press 53.5kg 5/5/5/4/2
Incline DB bench press 15's 12/12/12/8
BW dips 10/10/10/6+3

Ab work: weighted crunches w/10kg plate, reverse crunches and russian twists w/10kg plate

Really pleased with that session. Last wekk I did 51kg for 3x20 on my squat but I felt like any heavier would see a dramatic reduction in what I was able to do. Instead I went back to the weight I used in my first week and added more reps (conservatively)
If you do the sums then last week's total weight moved was 3060kg, and this week was 3135kg, so even though I didnt increase the weight I got that progression and it felt a lot more comfortable.
Definately recovered better between my sets and dint get that throbbing headche that I usually get with them which I put down to being more confident with the weight on my back, and getting plenty of breath in my lungs.
Increased the weight on my bench from last week and apart from the last set I didnt really feel the drop off that I usually do when i've added some weight (probably because it was a smaller increment).
Chest and legs are feeling nicely cooked now. Good times Grin
MattD90Icon...01-07-2011 @ 09:57 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
3x20?! I would die. Have you considered doing strict 3x5/5x5 with +2.5kg a time to get shifting bigger weight? Might help with the weight gain ?
Muscle_upIcon...01-07-2011 @ 11:08 
Member 2554, 280 posts
I do use the 5x5 aswell on my max effort squat days (mondays) - I struggle to increase the weight of those consistently and am better suited to the higher rep ranges for my legs. I prefer the 3x20 to the 5x5 to be honest.
Muscle_upIcon...02-07-2011 @ 14:23 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Conditioning day

5 rounds for time:
10 Burpee broad jumps
500m row

18 mins 31 secs

4x12 Calf raises BW+45kg
4x12 DB shrugs 25's
3x5 BW chin ups

Geez, i'm a sucker for punishment. The combination I put together was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Really tough little workout.

Afterwards I hit some little assistance bits. Never really trained my calves but they have quite a good shape to them, always had quite good definition of my gastroc and soleus but I feel like I should be hitting them once a week to keep them in proportion to everything else.
My traps are the same, and it wont hurt to get in some supplementary work there -it may even carry over to a couple of my other lifts.
Pleased that I can still knock out some chin ups despite my bodyweight being on the increase (and they're a lot better than doing curls).
Muscle_upIcon...04-07-2011 @ 09:34 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Heavy day

Back sqaut 62.5kg 5/5/5/5/4
SLDL 62.5kg 5x5
Leg press 145kg 4x8
Leg extensions 50kg 4x12

Ab work: 3x25 weighted crunches w/10kg plate, abdominal vaccuums, 3x12 reverse crunches, 3x20 russian twists w/10kg plate

Really good session, and there was a hint of speed in my heavier squats for the first time ever (well the first 2/3 reps anyway).
Everything just felt that little bit sharper which I think is probably a combination of the speed work and not going to my absolute max with everything all of the time.

Had a weigh in this morning and am up to 73.1kg or 11st 7lb which is great - another couple of kilos in the last fortnight Grin
fctilidieIcon...05-07-2011 @ 22:04 
Grandad Goatse
Member 2494, 5035 posts
SQ 120, BP 110, DL 125
355.0 kgs @ 67kgs UnEq
I'll keep an eye on your log seen as your a Hullian Happy
Muscle_upIcon...06-07-2011 @ 10:03 
Member 2554, 280 posts
Post Edited: 06.07.2011 @ 10:04 AM by Muscle_up
Speed day

Power cleans 35x2, 37.5x2, 40x2, 42.5x2, 45x2, 47.5x2, 50x2, 52.5x1,F,F
Deadlift speed pulls 72.5kg 10x2
Close grip lat pull down 45kg 4x12
Seated cable row 17.5kg 4x12

Ab work: weighted crunches, weighted russian twists, reverse crunches, abdominal hollowing

Really good session, and I could tell it would be seeing as all of yesterday I was itching to be back in the gym.
Power cleans felt really snappy, but then as I reached my max it suddenly felt as if someone had sneaked extra weight onto the bar - all of the incremental additions to the bar seemed to hit at once. Missed twice as my top weight and left it rather than getting pissed off with it.

Deadlifts felt strong and smooth. Pull downs and rows (obviously not speed work per se) felt strong and powerful, well chuffed Grin

I hope there were enough adjectives and other literary devices in there for you all!

Thanks fctilidie, I remember now that I asked you the exact same question about whewre you train on the myprotein forum - duhhhh. Got to train in hull one day next week so I think i'll probably go to peak physique, at least they have a sqaut rack.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions