REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 104 guests

Clash of the Giants July 31st 2011

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Competition database entry found for this thread: Clash of the Giants Strongman Show (31-07-2011)

Rob_BushIcon...05-07-2011 @ 08:52 
Member 1323, 449 posts
SQ 270, BP 210, DL 320
800.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:again not being rude, but i think people are missing the point of the comp! it is to find someone capable and strong enough to compete at wsm it's not a comp to see how some guys fair against others. is there any other british competitors not on that list that could hold there own at wsm? i'm not talking just do the events i'm talking actually compete imo there is 5 maximum on that list that could so it is to find which one of them is most likely to.

I do agree Terry - you're quite right.

With a reasonable amount of organisation and support from sponsors, promoters and competitors next year, there is a way that we can introduce a fair way to fill this kind of comp... For example; standard events 140kg IFSA Log c&p, 320kg Axle Deadlift, 400kg Yoke, 150kg Farmers for 40m & 160kg Stone over Yoke. Only two events here that pose as a problem would be the Farmers and Yoke as kit up and down the country varies so much but with enough regional cooperation we can courier kit from one promoter to another. There would be a Southern, Midlands, Northern, Welsh, Scottish & Irish heat - identical to the UK's qualifying process - run over a period of 6 weeks. Each comp allows 10 entrants but unlike the UK's where each country sends representatives, this time the highest placing 12 enter 'this' comp and have a chance to compete at the World's. This is as fair as it can be and if all the eventual 12 athletes are English then so be it, it'll give everyone elso something to work for. A 90 second time limit for the rep events will find the strongest, most dynamic static lifter with the highest level of endurance but the movement events could be separated by a cat's whisker. Same rules apply as in count-back will be brought in as there will be people tying for points due to the number of competitors in each region. Highest event placings dictate who has a pop and who doesn't. There are many other factors involved - weather, venue etc - but I can't see any other alternative way to introduce a fair scheme of qualification for the more prestigious comps in the UK

I'd be happy to run the Welsh heat and organise the kit to be transported to the Midlands for the next qualifier.
ThingIcon...05-07-2011 @ 09:09 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
thats is a great idea Rob all we need is for some one in ireland , scotland and England to think the same and run with it.
Rob_BushIcon...05-07-2011 @ 09:26 
Member 1323, 449 posts
SQ 270, BP 210, DL 320
800.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Thing said:thats is a great idea Rob all we need is for some one in ireland , scotland and England to think the same and run with it.

Just a thought... If the heats start in the South then kit could be couriered to South Wales, from there to the Midlands then to North, Scotland and finally Ireland. Some costs will be greater than others given the distance kit will have to travel but we can allow for this when a sponsor is brought it to fund this venture. Other costs can be kept to a minimum with limited t-shirts available for each regional qualifier - 20 for competitors, loader and officials per region - economical trophies, regional logistics, (promoter's kit travelling to venues), and any essential safety equipment like crowd barriers etc. It wouldn't cost the earth and with enough support, it could be successful.
ThingIcon...05-07-2011 @ 09:36 
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Rob_Bush said:
Just a thought... If the heats start in the South then kit could be couriered to South Wales, from there to the Midlands then to North, Scotland and finally Ireland. Some costs will be greater than others given the distance kit will have to travel but we can allow for this when a sponsor is brought it to fund this venture. Other costs can be kept to a minimum with limited t-shirts available for each regional qualifier - 20 for competitors, loader and officials per region - economical trophies, regional logistics, (promoter's kit travelling to venues), and any essential safety equipment like crowd barriers etc. It wouldn't cost the earth and with enough support, it could be successful.

we should get EDDIE STOBART to sponsor the whole thing then free shipping of equipment
Simon_TIcon...05-07-2011 @ 10:03 
wales
Member 1058, 5361 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 294
654.0 kgs @ 106kgs UnEq
Rob_Bush said:
I do agree Terry - you're quite right.
With a reasonable amount of organisation and support from sponsors, promoters and competitors next year, there is a way that we can introduce a fair way to fill this kind of comp... For example; standard events 140kg IFSA Log c&p, 320kg Axle Deadlift, 400kg Yoke, 150kg Farmers for 40m & 160kg Stone over Yoke. Only two events here that pose as a problem would be the Farmers and Yoke as kit up and down the country varies so much but with enough regional cooperation we can courier kit from one promoter to another. There would be a Southern, Midlands, Northern, Welsh, Scottish & Irish heat - identical to the UK's qualifying process - run over a period of 6 weeks. Each comp allows 10 entrants but unlike the UK's where each country sends representatives, this time the highest placing 12 enter 'this' comp and have a chance to compete at the World's. This is as fair as it can be and if all the eventual 12 athletes are English then so be it, it'll give everyone elso something to work for. A 90 second time limit for the rep events will find the strongest, most dynamic static lifter with the highest level of endurance but the movement events could be separated by a cat's whisker. Same rules apply as in count-back will be brought in as there will be people tying for points due to the number of competitors in each region. Highest event placings dictate who has a pop and who doesn't. There are many other factors involved - weather, venue etc - but I can't see any other alternative way to introduce a fair scheme of qualification for the more prestigious comps in the UK
I'd be happy to run the Welsh heat and organise the kit to be transported to the Midlands for the next qualifier.

When you look at your proposed events, the only bits of kit you'd need standardised would be the yoke and farmers.
Surely it would be cheaper in the long run for each region to have their own standardised yoke and farmers.
If this is going to be a long term plan then this makes more sense. It would also give the lads entering the comp' a chance to train on the kit beforehand, rather than it being in a different country.
Take your yoke and farmers for example Rob, they could probably be made for £300, obviously if you wanted head to head your looking at double that, but it's a start.
Rob_BushIcon...05-07-2011 @ 10:37 
Member 1323, 449 posts
SQ 270, BP 210, DL 320
800.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Simon_T said:
When you look at your proposed events, the only bits of kit you'd need standardised would be the yoke and farmers.
Surely it would be cheaper in the long run for each region to have their own standardised yoke and farmers.
If this is going to be a long term plan then this makes more sense. It would also give the lads entering the comp' a chance to train on the kit beforehand, rather than it being in a different country.
Take your yoke and farmers for example Rob, they could probably be made for £300, obviously if you wanted head to head your looking at double that, but it's a start.

I quite agree Simon it would make more sense I know but if we were to create head to head events this may cost £500 to £600 per region and a sudden budget of around £3500 before we add in the general costs of running comps - t-shirts, trophies safety equipment etc. To ship two sets of Farmers and two Yokes from the South to South Wales would cost no more than £100 max, (probably well over the odds), it would probably be much the same right through until it had to travel to Ireland. The kit doing a round trip from the south back to the south would cost no more than £1000, (again probably well over the odds).

If an entire set of comp kit was created; two sets of Farmers, 2 Yokes, 2 Axles, 2 IFSA Logs, 2 160kg Stones then there could be no speculation about the slightest difference in diameter between a stone bought in the South and a stone bought in Scotland and it would be a good foundation for future comps but it's a big cost and the shipping costs would increase dramatically.

Still, this is food for thought and with enough promoters and a benevolent sponsor on board, it's a very realistic proposition that could develop the mid to upper tier of strength athletes in the UK by giving them opportunities to compete at the highest level.
martinbIcon...05-07-2011 @ 10:46 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Terry actually posted something the other day suggesting that WSM will be holding their own qualifier in the UK next year

this does sound like a cool idea though
PompyIcon...05-07-2011 @ 10:50 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
Post Edited: 05.07.2011 @ 10:50 AM by Pompy
Sure to be a cracker regardless of the fact people continue to get caught up in politics... not that my (or most peoples) opinion matters at all... I think Terry is totally right. The comp doesnt seem to be about giving anyone a chance to hold their own, but about finding the right guy for the job, for that reason, it would appear that the right people have been invited

I'll hopefully be there and I'll be supporting Rob Frampton of course.
Rob_BushIcon...05-07-2011 @ 11:17 
Member 1323, 449 posts
SQ 270, BP 210, DL 320
800.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Pompy said:Sure to be a cracker regardless of the fact people continue to get caught up in politics... not that my (or most peoples) opinion matters at all... I think Terry is totally right. The comp doesnt seem to be about giving anyone a chance to hold their own, but about finding the right guy for the job, for that reason, it would appear that the right people have been invited

I'll hopefully be there and I'll be supporting Rob Frampton of course.

This is true mate and I understand why it's happened the way it has although - it's just my opinion - there may be other strongmen in the UK who deserve a chance next year at competing on the larger stage and with the current selection criteria, this will never happen. Unfortunately, there will always be an element of politics in all sports but as we're all trying to improve the standard of the sport we love, a fair selection process may be the next step. If all competitors who think they are capable of competing with this comp's entrants could all lift the same weights the following week then who's to say that there may not be a spanner in the works. It's been mentioned that it's not about who compares to who but in my opinion that's what strongman is...on the day the strongest, fittest, fastest men will qualify whether they do well at WSM is another thing altogether. The winner of this comp will be decided based on who compares against who on that particular day. The fact of the matter is that they were good enough on THAT day to earn a rightful place. Most high profile comps have a few surprises when the final placings are listed - that's because people f**k up events that they may have nailed every week for a year but that's just how it is - whether they should have gone to WSM or not is then irrelevant because when it mattered... they made a costly mistake. Perhaps the best man amongst this field won't go to WSM this year but that's life. If he should go anyway based on current form then there's no point in holding this comp at all!
terryhollandsIcon...05-07-2011 @ 11:30 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Although I agree with your point I just feel if people want to better themselves/prove themselves they have to get out there and compete against the guys on the list. I know if I was starting out again I would be travelling all over the country to prove myself against these guys.

I personally think that if the best 8-10 guys were all from a region (whether that be a country or area of England) they should be the guys in this comp not invited purely cause they are the best in their area

I think this is a good step forward with no BSM and yeah it's not perfect but it is better than it has been the last 2 years
CuddlesIcon...05-07-2011 @ 11:40 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
terryhollands said:Although I agree with your point I just feel if people want to better themselves/prove themselves they have to get out there and compete against the guys on the list. I know if I was starting out again I would be travelling all over the country to prove myself against these guys.

My first instinct was to think that this comp was perhaps a little unfair but I actually completely agree with the point above. If you want people to stand up and take notice, go and make them take notice.

If these guys are as good as they sound, they will be there next year. Mostly because they will win pretty much any comp they enter other than comps of this standard, of which I cant remember many recently.
martinbIcon...05-07-2011 @ 11:47 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
yeah, if you want to be noticed, you have to do the miles, Terry is right

question though, if you are looking for the guy who can best compete at WSM(by that I assume you mean actually make the final) why not st the comp up like WSM?

the heats at WSM always have a light fast medley, a truck pull, HIGH stones

this comp will be awesome, but I don't think it will find the best guy to do WSM
Rob_BushIcon...05-07-2011 @ 11:49 
Member 1323, 449 posts
SQ 270, BP 210, DL 320
800.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:Although I agree with your point I just feel if people want to better themselves/prove themselves they have to get out there and compete against the guys on the list. I know if I was starting out again I would be travelling all over the country to prove myself against these guys.

I personally think that if the best 8-10 guys were all from a region (whether that be a country or area of England) they should be the guys in this comp not invited purely cause they are the best in their area

I think this is a good step forward with no BSM and yeah it's not perfect but it is better than it has been the last 2 years

This is a very fair point Terry, if there are competitors who believe they can compete with the likes of this comp's entrants then they should be entering the higher profile comps up and down the country and competing against them. With regard to my theory of qualification, although there would be regional qualifiers - times, reps etc. would be looked at across all regions rather than within each region and then an overall, albeit large number of points will be available for a first place in the Yoke for example. If there were many people tying for reps on the log, points would be shared and in the event of a tie, positions in the timed events would take you up the leader board. Scoring on a large scale but feasible.
ThingIcon...05-07-2011 @ 12:01 
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq

who would you like to see at WSM in that group? me personally i'd like to see Jack Mac or Rob go through personally as i dont know anyone else just heard about them
PeteHodgsonIcon...05-07-2011 @ 12:02 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:

This is the main positive to look at. Maybe it will even pave the way for the return of BSM? Any thoughts Terry?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions