Basic Korte 3x3

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JCIconBasic Korte 3x320-11-2007 @ 10:28 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Morning fellas

As you may or may not know, I am a powerlifting virgin, and am after a routine that will treat my gently first time

I have been lookinbg at various sites, quite fancy Tokars routine, but also like the look of the Basic Korte 3x3, The article below, however, has put me off a little.

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/hanna12.htm

It states that this routine can infact hinder your bench, due to the lack of assistance work. This obviously dont sound good, especially with BP being my strongest lift. I know the routine will work differently from person to person, but thought i would ask anyway.

Have any of you guys who have tried this routine also found this problem? Do you rate this routine?

Thanks for your time fellas
RobIcon...20-11-2007 @ 10:48 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 20.11.2007 @ 10:55 AM
Personally I wouldn't jump into that routine after just changing from bodybuilding, it would be a rapid increase in frequency which you just don't need.

If I were you I would just do some lower reps for the next few months, 5s and 3s you can't go wrong, get training with the power lads at Catts or get down to Adlington. Technique should probably be your focus at the minute then you can really exploit all that strength you've built up.

As for whos done the routine, Tokar has twice and had mixed results I would say. Sure he will elaborate Happy
JCIcon...20-11-2007 @ 10:50 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
thanks Rob

Am off to Colne on Sun, so will hopefully pick up some pointers on technique then
tokarIcon...04-12-2007 @ 21:17 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Yes, I've done Korte twice. My verdict -

First time I got a lot out of the squat and nothing out of the deadlift - BUT, having gone on to do what I think was a better peaking phase for the deadlift I did go on to hit a big PB a bit later, and I think the Korte base was fairly valuable in that. I didn't do the bench as written because I think it's just a really bad idea and won't work (unlike lower body, upper body just doesn't respond well to high volume and low intensity).

Second time I upped the weights to a fair bit beyond Korte because to be honest I actually found the Korte volume phase pretty easy the first time round (my work capacity is pretty good). I worked up without too much problem to 140x5x8 three times a week in the squat, but I just couldn't handle the work in the deadlift and ended up overtraining my back. I think it's a very difficult balance between setting the weights heavy enough for a good training effect and not so heavy that you overtrain. Personally if I'd stuck to the 58-64% of projected 1RM I wouldn't have got anything out of it.

I think overall it's not at all bad for someone newish to powerlifting but who already has a decent work capacity. The weights are not hard as long as you can get all the reps in during the volume phase. I would also say from my experience that the volume phase in the squat is excellent for hypertrophy.
JCIcon...05-12-2007 @ 12:06 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
cheers tokar
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions