Who's Online - 0 members and 251 guests

Log Press Clean Technique

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

FlooblerIconLog Clean Technique12-03-2016 @ 16:18 
Member 5964, 573 posts
SQ 240, BP 160, DL 265
665.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 12.03.2016 @ 23:00 PM by Floobler
Was doing some log press training today and definitely feel like the limiting factor is the clean. Especially when doing FTOH reps, the clean takes so much out of me I just don't have anything left for the press. It feels as though while I'm rising the log starts slipping down my torso, I really have to fight to keep the log high on my chest. After watching the video back it looks as though I need to get my elbows a bit higher, and get my bodyweight a bit further behind the log? Tried to be a bit more mindful on my positioning on the second set, but it ended up in a bit of hesitation and making the clean even harder. The last set I decided to not think about technique at all, and just get the log to my shoulders as quickly and with as much power as possible. Incidentally the cleans probably felt the easiest on that set. Any cues or technique changes anyone could suggest to help me improve this?

Ramsay777Icon...12-03-2016 @ 17:32 
Member 3942, 1107 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 315
675.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Aaron Page just put this article up the other day, his and Tom Hibbert's log cleans always look so damn easy and they're both among the best log pressers in the UK.

http://winninghealthsolutions.co.uk/how-to-improve-your-log-cl...
shortandmightyIcon...12-03-2016 @ 17:50 
Aiming for a 250 squat by the end of 2012
Member 1989, 3168 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 270
650.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Clean doesn't look too bad. Your main issue is that it's a thin log and they are always harder to clean because it will travel a shorter distance on the hip drive. With a thin log you want to try and pull it higher up on the first part of the clean so that the centre point of the log is around the hip. The other thing I notice is your elbows are low before you press. Aaron's article has some good tips for this.
FlooblerIcon...12-03-2016 @ 17:56 
Member 5964, 573 posts
SQ 240, BP 160, DL 265
665.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
shortandmighty said:Clean doesn't look too bad. Your main issue is that it's a thin log and they are always harder to clean because it will travel a shorter distance on the hip drive. With a thin log you want to try and pull it higher up on the first part of the clean so that the centre point of the log is around the hip. The other thing I notice is your elbows are low before you press. Aaron's article has some good tips for this.

Yeah, I have noticed that when I've trained with bigger logs I find the clean easier. Incidentally find the press easier too. Will have to read this article, thanks Happy
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions