REGISTER
 
You are here: Home → Forum → Training Journals → Quest for PBs

Quest for PBs

1234567

LuuuuuukeyIcon...22-07-2010 @ 09:10 
Avatar
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Equal PB is good stuff!

And I like how much you get out of wraps and a suit! Makes me want to give it a go ha!
tz1127Icon...22-07-2010 @ 10:00 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Thanks mate. I think I get quite a bit from equipment because Titan centurion rules and also I am very weak at the bottom of the squat but very strong from the mid point. One thing about squat suits and equipment in general is that you really need good spotters and a knowledgable "crew" to train with.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...22-07-2010 @ 10:41 
Avatar
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
tz1127 said:Thanks mate. I think I get quite a bit from equipment because Titan centurion rules and also I am very weak at the bottom of the squat but very strong from the mid point. One thing about squat suits and equipment in general is that you really need good spotters and a knowledgable "crew" to train with.


I'm kind of the same, really struggle out of the 'hole', then it becomes easy once I get just above paralell.

There's a few people I could train with and ask for advice if I ever give it a go!

Hopefully sometime this year.
tz1127IconFriday24-07-2010 @ 12:23 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Squat (full gear)

2 singles at 217.5 kg
depth was spot on
tz1127Icon...26-07-2010 @ 22:07 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Came into the gym to do some spotting and helping a teammate in our powerlifting club.

Also did 3 sets of pause squats with very light weight... looking forward to deadlifting a 2.5 kg PB, hopefully my hay fever won't get too bad tommorow.
tz1127Icon...27-07-2010 @ 21:10 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Worst session in a while:

Deadlifts:

205 kg was hard, I jumped to 217.5 kg to hit my planned weight (which also is a PB) but missed it twice...

Equipped bench:

worked up to:

110 kg * 3
122.5 * 0 "mis-groved" the press and missed it 2 inches from lock out, nearly droped the barbell
110 kg *3 much better and way easier

Gonna really listen to my body on my next squat session... might just take it real easy to let my mind and body recover as I feel poor mentally and phsically...
tz1127Icon...03-08-2010 @ 22:41 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Last Thursday:

equipped squat:

worked up to 1 single at 220 kg (good depth, bit of a grinder)

Raw bench

worked up to 80* 5



Today's session:

Deadlifts:

worked up to a single at 200 kg, 3 singles at 205 kg (planned opener)

Equipped bench:

worked up to 100 kg * 2 raw
shirt on:
3 * 110 kg
2 * 117.5 kg (planned opener)
1 * 125 kg (2.5 kg PB)
0 * 130 kg (missed it at lock out)
0 * 130 kg (stapled!)

we were training at a new gym and couldn't get used to the bench as it was a lot more narrower then the ER bench. The stability was a lot worse and I was shaking like hell after hand-off.

Rant:

Many great powerlifters have argued that ""Run with the lame and you'll develop a limp." as far as training partner goes. Nobody in the "team" should be above spotting and helping others.

There are quite a few things that piss me off with one of my training partners - constantly complaining about small issues that doesn't even bother anyone else (e.g. bar too slippery, him not feeling well, bringing negative stuff from his private life into the gym etc...), doesn't load weights, not motivated to train hard or push himself to the max, and just bringing a lot of negativity into the team in general...

Well, I'm gonna his slacking to piss myself off to do more work and lift heavier... f**k 'em
tz1127Icon...04-08-2010 @ 22:50 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Raw squats

worked up to an easy double with 120kg

Close grip bench

worked up to a triple at 80 kg

Shoulder press, military press and some back work
tz1127Icon...06-08-2010 @ 22:11 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Equipped squat

worked up to 210 kg * 1 (projected opener)

was a little bit harder then it supposed to be due to slightly sub-par technique.

Deadlift:

First time deadlifted in my Titan centurion squat suit... didn't mean to go heavy but the weight felt good that I had to try for a PB. Seems like it gives a bit more carryover and also feels so much better then my inzer max dl suit.

worked up to 210 kg * 1
220 kg * 1 (5 kg PB!)
230 kg * 0 (stalled at knee level)
230 kg * 0 (same thing again)
several singles at 180
tz1127Icon...10-08-2010 @ 21:51 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 10.08.2010 @ 21:52 PM by tz1127
Deadlifts:

worked up to 210 kg * 1
PB attempt: 222.5 kg * 0 (couldn't lock out, story of my life ugh...)
205 kg * 1 (projected opener) much easier

Bench Press:

worked up to 100 kg * 2, 110 kg* 1 Raw
Shirt on:
110 kg * 1
117.5 kg * 1 (projected opener)
125 kg * 0 (bar went towards my face)
125 kg * 1 (much easier, equal PB)

Did a bunch of back work and tricep work afterwards. This will be my last heavy bench and deadlift session until all-englands powerlifting comp.
tz1127Icon...15-08-2010 @ 14:21 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 15.08.2010 @ 14:21 PM by tz1127
Last heavy session before competition:

Felt sick as f**k last night and had to train this morning....

For some reason my suit also was extremely loose on me today. Seems like its time to get a new one as this one is knackered.

Squats:

worked up to 2 singles with 200 kg

felt heavier then its supposed to be...
richscottIcon...16-08-2010 @ 12:17 
Shoulderz like boulderz
Member 842, 479 posts
hi its rich, thought i would have a look at your journal
tz1127Icon...18-08-2010 @ 20:24 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
richscott said:hi its rich, thought i would have a look at your journal


Thanks Rich, check your journal as well....


Today's session (4 days out from All-England Championships):

Went really light today to focus on perfect technique:

Squat:

100kg * 3

Bench:

80kg * 3

Deadlift:

several singles with 100 kg
tz1127IconAll Englands22-08-2010 @ 19:53 
Avatar
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
What a day! Weighted in at 96 kilos which is the lightest I've been in 8 months and with terrible hayfever the day before, I would've been happy to be able to get my openers. The day turned out not too bad though with me getting PBs in all 3 lifts.

Squat:

warm ups felt light but was rushed because of poor timing. By the time I went to my openers I was heavily sweating and out of breath.

Hers how my attemps went:

Squats
200 kg - (very easy)
210 kg - (tough grinder!)
at this point we decided to gamble a bit and went for 220 kg which is a 5 kg comp PB and all time PB at my current bodyweight.
220 kg (3 whites)- was a grinder but easier then last attempt. Admittedly I gave it my 100% and did not have anything left. I would have failed 222.5 I believe.


Bench

felt easy in warm ups

opener:
117.5 (3 white lights , although it is a "gift" as I was warned after that I was belly benching)

125 kg (2.5 kg Comp PB)

That was EASY and looked to have a lot more. At this point we decided to jack the shirt down.

130 kg (no lift) struggled to touch and lost the groove completly.


Deadlift:

again, weights felt light in warmups:

205 kg (opener) -easy
217.5 kg (2.5 kg comp PB) - was a struggle but I got it
225 kg (no lift, 2 red lights) - failed due to downward movement of the bar; pretty unlucky


Overall I PB'ed in everthing and had a good time despite poor training in the last couple of months. There are many things in my training that I would change now:

- convert to sumo deadlift
- no psyche up in gym(I was burned out bad in the middle of cycle)
- learn to bench in a tighter shirt
- train more with moderate intensity but up the volume/numbers of sessions as my technique was shaky in every lift

and the most important one:

- do not neglect health and diet: I was hit with very bad hay fever throught the last 4 months due to weakened immune system from training, poor diet and lack of sleep. I feel this greatly compromised the gains I could have made.

Overall I'm pleased with the comp, now its time to rest up for a few days and go back to smash f**kin weights soon!
BoarIcon...22-08-2010 @ 19:58 
Avatar
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25597 posts
Administrator
cant complain at PB's mate !! very nice squat too , did you get any vids ?

1234567

You are here: Home → Forum → Training Journals → Quest for PBs
© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions