REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 83 guests

163kg bench press and 100kg OHP

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12

remco51092Icon163kg bench press and 100kg OHP18-04-2015 @ 02:31 
Member 5735, 106 posts
SQ 220, BP 175, DL 230
625.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Today I set two PB's!
I improved my bench PB with 0,5kg but it was 2 years old! So i'm finally pressing constant 160kg easy! Today I did a solid easy 161kg and a grinder on 163kg Roll-Eyes

Now the road is free for getting real pbs again Grin



stephen9069Icon...18-04-2015 @ 07:57 
Avatar
Frequents the HOUSE of GAIN.
Member 3836, 4233 posts
SQ 225, BP 200, DL 300
725.0 kgs @ 119kgs UnEq
Well done mate
remco51092Icon...18-04-2015 @ 08:30 
Member 5735, 106 posts
SQ 220, BP 175, DL 230
625.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
stephen9069 said:Well done mate


Happy
deleted2_20210523Icon...18-04-2015 @ 09:35 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
remco51092Icon...18-04-2015 @ 10:31 
Member 5735, 106 posts
SQ 220, BP 175, DL 230
625.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
kirkynick said:Good fight on the bench press.


A mental one! The 162,5kg was my curse for two years. Have failed like 20-30 attemps to get 160+ again in my life in the last two years.

Always an easy fast 160, but when i went higher i always choked!
Yesterday 161kg and 163kg means i'm ready to get a real big pb soon when i'm mentally convinced Grin

wednesday maybe before going on trainingcamp an attempt on the 165kg Tongue
depends how i feel that day, i have singles on the program then Grin
Paul_DIcon...18-04-2015 @ 10:41 
Avatar
Hey mate, my name is Paul Dudley
Member 632, 3628 posts
SQ 200, BP 155, DL 282.5
637.5 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.04.2015 @ 10:43 AM by Paul_D
Good stuff.

Any reasoning behind semi push/strict technique for overhead?

As a power athlete id imagine a full leg drive push press (or jerk) would be of more benefit to a semi push press with a little leg drive?
KevC86Icon...18-04-2015 @ 11:05 
Avatar
Member 5141, 4194 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I love the spotting on the bench, too many guys jump straight in and assist on lifts where their help isnt needed.

Well done on the PBs.
dr_hazbunIcon...18-04-2015 @ 11:24 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Is benching that way really necessary? What I'm trying to say is that is it really that sport specific to shot putters? It just looks very dangerous and I'm yet to be convinced that the risk/benefit lies in favour of including it as part of a thrower's routine.

Surely, if one wants to emphasise explosive power whilst benching, one should do the opposite and do exaggerated pauses on the chest before pressing and hard and fast as possible from a dead stop.
PaulSavageIcon...18-04-2015 @ 12:03 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
remco51092 said:
A mental one! The 162,5kg was my curse for two years. Have failed like 20-30 attemps to get 160+ again in my life in the last two years.
Always an easy fast 160, but when i went higher i always choked!
Yesterday 161kg and 163kg means i'm ready to get a real big pb soon when i'm mentally convinced Grin
wednesday maybe before going on trainingcamp an attempt on the 165kg Tongue
depends how i feel that day, i have singles on the program then Grin

Why would you go beyond maximum for as many as 15 times a year? It's almost impossible to make progress doing this even if you are lucky enough not to get injured, which your putting yourself at a high risk for. Doesnt seem to make any sense.
AMH_PowerIcon...18-04-2015 @ 12:16 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
Why would you go beyond maximum for as many as 15 times a year? It's almost impossible to make progress doing this even if you are lucky enough not to get injured, which your putting yourself at a high risk for. Doesnt seem to make any sense.


I disagree. The first 85% of all my gains were maxing every session then using the post tetanic potentiation to achieve more and faster reps that would've been impossible without it.

Of course there may have been better ways for me to train, but claiming its the way to injury or not gaining is incorrect. Majority of injuries occur on a set that involves heavy reps when technique alters to facilitate technique.
PaulSavageIcon...18-04-2015 @ 12:40 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
AMH_Power said:
I disagree. The first 85% of all my gains were maxing every session then using the post tetanic potentiation to achieve more and faster reps that would've been impossible without it.
Of course there may have been better ways for me to train, but claiming its the way to injury or not gaining is incorrect. Majority of injuries occur on a set that involves heavy reps when technique alters to facilitate technique.

Your version of a max is not an actual max though, it's just a heavy/heavyish single. This is doing a weight that's beyond 100%.
remco51092Icon...18-04-2015 @ 12:51 
Member 5735, 106 posts
SQ 220, BP 175, DL 230
625.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.04.2015 @ 12:59 PM by remco51092
Paul_D said:Good stuff.

Any reasoning behind semi push/strict technique for overhead?

As a power athlete id imagine a full leg drive push press (or jerk) would be of more benefit to a semi push press with a little leg drive?


It looks like a really use legs, actually it isn't really a legdrive. Were many people have a OHP where they hold the weight already above the chest and then push, i like to have it on my chest and then lift. Don't really know how to explain it in good english :P

With the legdrive, I will start doing that next week again, behind the neck jerks! I was hit with a 10k hammer during the highland games 12 days ago, so I didn't want to land on my feet with heavy weights above my head worrying about my damn leg Tongue

Probably that is also why my OHP is a bit with bent knees in begin of the lift, i'm used to only to jerks and behind the neck jerks Happy

KevC86 said:
I love the spotting on the bench, too many guys jump straight in and assist on lifts where their help isnt needed.

Well done on the PBs.


He knows when I fail that I will bring it back to my chest and only helps then. Never before my bar goes down! How to get used to it though, I'm used to say IVE GOT IT when i'm grinding because many guys want to do a bicep curl with my bench weight when grinding Roll-Eyes

dr_hazbun said:
Is benching that way really necessary? What I'm trying to say is that is it really that sport specific to shot putters? It just looks very dangerous and I'm yet to be convinced that the risk/benefit lies in favour of including it as part of a thrower's routine.

Surely, if one wants to emphasise explosive power whilst benching, one should do the opposite and do exaggerated pauses on the chest before pressing and hard and fast as possible from a dead stop.


Yes it is beneficial for my sport.
We have in the off season strict reps, then before important comps we do speed bench and in the middle we do this.

The only thing about the injuries I can say is that looking at pec-tears the amount in athletics is way lower than in bodybuilding or powerlifting Tongue

@PaulSavage

I always managed to get easy 160kg benches. I have like in my pre-season like 3 times a week bench with in this schedule these two weeks already 3 times a single in two out of the three workouts.
If i always managed to get my 160kg easily, i have to go heavier. However every time I did that I choked mentally for some reason.
That is why I've failed WAY TOOO MUCH Tongue

Now this curse is broken Grin Lately I fail in my lifting way less than I did before so that's a good thing

@AMH_Power

I agree with you, especially on the injury part!

I can say i've never suffered in my six-seven years of lifting an injury due to lifting. Only suffered injuries while sprinting
AMH_PowerIcon...18-04-2015 @ 16:40 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
Your version of a max is not an actual max though, it's just a heavy/heavyish single. This is doing a weight that's beyond 100%.


No, they were absolute maxes. I used to work up to a point my spotter had to take it off me.

Obviously not the optimal way to train, but it worked.
unit94Icon...18-04-2015 @ 16:51 
Avatar
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10441 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
The logic behind the bench seems very brosicency to me Tongue
deleted2_20210523Icon...18-04-2015 @ 16:55 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted

12

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions