REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 588 guests

Doesn't life suck when you don't know which camp your in?!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

StetecIcon...06-05-2010 @ 10:59 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Lol!
StetecIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:02 
Member 354, 1452 posts
Post Edited: 06.05.2010 @ 11:04 AM by Stetec
Not saying it wouldn't be possible because I can think of a few examples for both. But, in general, it would be more difficult for a strongman to become a competitive body builder than a body builder a competitive strongman.

Mainly because strongman training centres around heavy pushes and pulls and not isolation exercises that develope the smaller muscles that are part and parcel of the judging process.

Of course, both athletes can look good.

In my opinion a bodybuilder could do a show on a saturday and a strongman event on the sunday. A strongman in general, lets face it the majority are strong as an ox but carry a lot of body fat couldn't do the same.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:08 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22073 posts
Tony said:
Do I think BBing is a sport? no.

Is it my cup of tea? no.

Do I respect the amount of hard work and dedication it takes to get onto stage? yes.

My views exactly.
BigMaccaIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:14 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9944 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Stetec said:
In my opinion a bodybuilder could do a show on a Saturday and a strongman event on the Sunday. A strongman in general, lets face it the majority are strong as an ox but carry a lot of body fat couldn't do the same.

Hello Mate,

I really have to disagree with this, my local gym is a bodybuilding gym and I've trained with loads of lads who compete (some to a very good level) and watched their shows.

The s**t that they put their body through in the last few weeks of comp prep (mainly diet / water related), means that they are so dehydrated / card depleted that I'd be suprised (if they competed on a Saturday) if they could even get wood on a Sunday let alone do anything strenuous.

A week or two later maybe, but not the next day.

Macca
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:20 
Member 400, 22073 posts
Some ex-bodybuilders have done well in strongman. Eddie Ellwood is an example.

I think only very strong bodybuilders would be able to transfer across in a short time frame.

There have been a couple of embarrassingly bad performances from bodybuilders-turned-strongmen in WSM (check out 1995 Heat 4 and 1998 Heat 4). They really shouldn't have been there!
StetecIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:21 
Member 354, 1452 posts
Aye point taken. Ok we'll give them a week to recover then! Either way, not in the same league of time scale it would take your average strongman to get into competitive body building shape.

But, lets face it, yet another pointless argument started by me, the 2 "sports" aren't comparable really are they?
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:25 
Member 400, 22073 posts
I said:
I think only very strong bodybuilders would be able to transfer across in a short time frame.

I'd like to reword that...

I think only very strong bodybuilders would have a chance of transferring across in a short time frame.
bignige1986Icon...06-05-2010 @ 11:32 
Taleban says his views on women are extreme
Member 639, 3518 posts
SQ 10, BP 10, DL 10
30.0 kgs @ 10kgs Eq
BigMacca said:
Hello Mate,
I really have to disagree with this, my local gym is a bodybuilding gym and I've trained with loads of lads who compete (some to a very good level) and watched their shows.
The s**t that they put their body through in the last few weeks of comp prep (mainly diet / water related), means that they are so dehydrated / card depleted that I'd be suprised (if they competed on a Saturday) if they could even get wood on a Sunday let alone do anything strenuous.
A week or two later maybe, but not the next day.
Macca

Well said mate !!

Ill find the chemical name out but i remember the 2 american bbers who were injecting industrial dye cleaner for its weightloss properties who abused the drug and died from overheating as it f**kd there internal body temp up !! Or how about the countless numbers that die from insulin overdoses, apart from Jessie Marunde and Jon Pall Sigmarson i cant think of a strongman whos died from abusing chemicals?! And Jon Pall was a bber aswell as strongman and jessie unfortunatly died from EPO Unhappy
Beard_Of_IronIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:33 
Head of Department, Ministry of Beards
Member 580, 2634 posts
SQ 210, BP 115, DL 266
591.0 kgs @ 101kgs UnEq
Stetec said:
In my opinion a bodybuilder could do a show on a saturday and a strongman event on the sunday.

There is no way in hell a bodybuilder could do a strongman comp (or an events training session if that's what you meant) the day after a show - and it would be downright dangerous if they attempted to do so.

On contest day bodybuilders are at their weakest. By contrast strongmen hopefully would have trained and eaten to be at their strongest on competition day.

The objectives of competitive bodybuilders and strongmen (on their respective competition days) are in DIRECT opposition to each other.
IainKendrickIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:43 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
The 2 activties are not comparable. Mainly due to one being a sport and the other a physique contest.
terryhollandsIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:43 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Stetec said:
I think the point being made was that training for strongman is no harder than training for bodybuilding just different.
Think of this whole rediculous but entertaining debate like this:
A decent body builder who doubtless has built up a decent level of strength could turn his hand to strongman quite easily by changing his training slightly. And would have a better power to weight ratio due to less body fat when it comes to weight catagories.
Would a strongman be able to turn to bodybuilding if they chose to so easily? No chance.

Some would! I would say as many strongmen could turn to BB as BB could turn to strongman. I think probably more strongmen could go the other way!
JCIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:44 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
Some would! I would say as many strongmen could turn to BB as BB could turn to strongman. I think probably more strongmen could go the other way!

Agreed. Pudz, Pounds, Marku, Nee, Felix to name but a few, could be in contest shape in 8-10 weeks I'd imagine
terryhollandsIcon...06-05-2010 @ 11:48 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Stetec said:
In my opinion a bodybuilder could do a show on a saturday and a strongman event on the sunday. A strongman in general, lets face it the majority are strong as an ox but carry a lot of body fat couldn't do the same.

One of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard!

Most pl can't even transfer to sm that well and they put the BB's to shame when it comes to strength! BB's look good on stage but let's not forget most are infact very small men!

I would say with not much hard work Mariusz could cross over, I can't think of a BB that could come the other way so easily! They would probably collapse after 1 event
brocerslrdIcon...06-05-2010 @ 12:08 
Conan likes to listen to music
Member 1155, 3461 posts
SQ 150, BP 110, DL 210
470.0 kgs @ 88.8kgs UnEq
Kia Green won the Arnolds this year and like terry said is realisticly quite a small man at 5'8". I'm not saying he's not strong or that there arn't relitivly short guys in strongman but i doubt Green could compete with them on a stronman level
BigMaccaIcon...06-05-2010 @ 12:27 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9944 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
bignige1986 said:
Well said mate !!
Ill find the chemical name out but i remember the 2 american bbers who were injecting industrial dye cleaner for its weightloss properties who abused the drug and died from overheating as it f**kd there internal body temp up !! Or how about the countless numbers that die from insulin overdoses, apart from Jessie Marunde and Jon Pall Sigmarson i cant think of a strongman whos died from abusing chemicals?! And Jon Pall was a bber aswell as strongman and jessie unfortunatly died from EPO Unhappy

DNP would be that chemical mate - some people over at MT love the stuff!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions