Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsTwo Goal Training Diary

Two Goal Training Diary

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Appetite said:
What I would say is put your happiness and the quality of your training first. So if you can keep to 83 without sitting miserably in a calorie defficit for half the year then do it. If it starts getting so you struggle to find the energy to train then go up.

Very wise words! Maybe that's exactly what I'm missing, everything seems to be geared to competition and I suppose I've started losing sight of the reason I first began, and that was for the sheer enjoyment....
83 is hard, it requires a little discipline for a few weeks of the year, but I'm sure this will get much harder from next year. Thanks as always mate!
20-03-2014

So, I don't usually train Thursdays, however I decided to help a friend of mine who is working on his doctorate and required a test subject. I had my resting heart rate taken (53bpm), blood pressure taken (can't remember the readings), height (177cm, which was bizarre as that is 5ft 8! I'm confident this must have been a wrong measurement, I was always under the impression I was at least 5ft 10), I also had a skin fold test (the results being given to me tomorrow).
As I'm writing this, I've just come to the realisation that I really have no idea what his study is about Confused

Anyways, it went like this:

Squat Beltless - 160kg x 5 reps
Bench on a smith machine - 115kg
Overhand Row on a smith machine - 115kg

I'm back in again tomorrow, for 'force velocity' measurements. Based on the weights above, I will be working with 40%, 60% & 80% loads.....
21-03-2014

Session 1 - AM: Continuation of research study.

Squats up to 155kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

Bench up to 90kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

Overhand Row up to 100kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

Very interesting to see the force, power, velocity (anything else scientifically you can think of!) marked on a graph. It was an ego boost to hear at one point my squat power went off the scale haha.

Session 2 - PM: Actual training

Deadlift (Belted) - 230kg x 5 reps.

Very nice, easy enough with at least a couple more there! Very confident, just 3 weeks and 2 days out.

So, I have a few targets I want to achieve before the end of this prep:

SLDL (beltless): 210kg x 5 reps
225kg x 3 reps

Deadlift (belted): 235kg x 5 reps
250kg x 3 reps

LB Squat (beltled): 180kg x 5 reps
192.5kg x 3 reps
That deadlift in 3 weeks is going to be very big.
good training good goals , some of the test studies you can have done can be useful learning weaknesses/imbalances and ideal exercises
Appetite said:That deadlift in 3 weeks is going to be very big.

I really hope so, mate!
josh_ains said:good training good goals , some of the test studies you can have done can be useful learning weaknesses/imbalances and ideal exercises

Cheers Josh. You'd have a field day there pal! Some pretty nice kit. The researcher would love someone with your strength and explosiveness and you'd more than be welcome as a participant, however It's in Chester...

Once I've got all of the results, looking at those weaknesses/imbalances is precisely what I'll be doing. I'll no doubt me asking for your assistance when I'm trying to digest it all and then identify the most appropriate exercises.
Post Edited: 21.03.2014 @ 16:40 PM by josh_ains
liamwolstenholm said:
Cheers Josh. You'd have a field day there pal! Some pretty nice kit. The researcher would love someone with your strength and explosiveness and you'd more than be welcome as a participant, however It's in Chester...
Once I've got all of the results, looking at those weaknesses/imbalances is precisely what I'll be doing. I'll no doubt me asking for your assistance when I'm trying to digest it all and then identify the most appropriate exercises.

ah got asked for one at Bolton uni for a pal but was chocka block with work , would be very interested what they make of my left shoulder in different patterns of movement as far as muscle recruitment -(mind to muscle link is incredibly strong due to physio ems treatment post shoulder injury but structurally damaged), power to bodyweight was far better then at 105ishkg was more of athlete loved that testing at college, at 124kg now but plan to start sprints/high intensity short duration anaerobic work as I haven't yet included it with a strongman prep
24-03-2014: Literally a full day of training.

Very early AM (Continuation of my friends PHD study):

Squat: 38kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
67kg x 1 reps x 3 sets
86kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
114kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
133kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
152kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

Bench Press: 23kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
46kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
57.5kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
75kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
92kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

Overhand Row: 23kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
46kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
57.5kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
75kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
92kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

After Dinner PM (PHD...):

Squat: 38kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
67kg x 1 reps x 3 sets
86kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
114kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
133kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
152kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

Bench Press: 23kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
46kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
57.5kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
75kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
92kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

Overhand Row: 23kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
46kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
57.5kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
75kg x 1 rep x 3 sets
92kg x 1 rep x 3 sets

4PM (My training):

HB Squat (beltless): 150kg x 3 reps x 2 sets

Front Squat: 125kg x 5 reps

Notes: Exhausted. PHD study to continue again tomorrow, however I have no planned 3rd session, so It shouldn't be too bad.
josh_ains said:
ah got asked for one at Bolton uni for a pal but was chocka block with work , would be very interested what they make of my left shoulder in different patterns of movement as far as muscle recruitment -(mind to muscle link is incredibly strong due to physio ems treatment post shoulder injury but structurally damaged), power to bodyweight was far better then at 105ishkg was more of athlete loved that testing at college, at 124kg now but plan to start sprints/high intensity short duration anaerobic work as I haven't yet included it with a strongman prep

Very interesting, I keep a very close eye on your training/progress anyway, however with the added sprint sessions I shall be looking even closely. How's the lat issue you had? When are you planning on getting back into full training?
Post Edited: 26.03.2014 @ 00:32 AM by josh_ains
liamwolstenholm said:
Very interesting, I keep a very close eye on your training/progress anyway, however with the added sprint sessions I shall be looking even closely. How's the lat issue you had? When are you planning on getting back into full training?

has healed 1st session in 5 week on Monday that I didn't feel it at all just had to take 6 days off training which is hard for me , will be doing the sprints with a sled drag type approach attached to belt around waist can use harness if need be

will cycle the weight throughout the week from low volume highish weight to high volume lighter , may keep the split to 3 sessions a week with a 4th being a event session trying to include that every sat or sun , mainly anaerobic work only
josh_ains said:
has healed 1st session in 5 week on Monday that I didn't feel it at all just had to take 6 days off training which is hard for me , will be doing the sprints with a sled drag type approach attached to belt around waist can use harness if need be
will cycle the weight throughout the week from low volume highish weight to high volume lighter , may keep the split to 3 sessions a week with a 4th being a event session trying to include that every sat or sun , mainly anaerobic work only

As always a very thorough and intelligent plan. In regards to deadlift suits... Excuse my utter lack of knowledge (therefore stupidity), but what does it give the user? I hear it helps off the floor, however the nature of the suit means it's quite hard to lockout? The reason I ask is there are some junior records that seem to me within touching distance.
26-03-2014

LB Squat (belted) - 100kg x 3 reps x multiple sets

Bench (Paused) - 62.5kg x 3 reps x multiple sets

SLDL - (beltless) - 210kg x 5 reps

Notes:

Hand has healed, so I can continue where I left off. The goal on April 13th will still have to be a 'play it safe' weight. Friday should reveal what that weight selection will be.

For the first time in a number of weeks, deadlifts (specifically stiff leg deadlifts) felt challenging. However, my penultimate stiff leg target has been hit, so all's well that ends well.

Friday's plan:

LB Squat - 180kg x 5 reps: As perfect form as possible.

Bench - Work up to a comfortable paused single (which will most likely be my heaviest bench on the 13th.)

Deadlift - 250kg x 3 reps: Now, the hope here is this is just as 'sweet' as the triple on 245kg a couple of weeks ago, if so I will know exactly what to expect from my deadlift on the 13th.
liamwolstenholm said:
As always a very thorough and intelligent plan. In regards to deadlift suits... Excuse my utter lack of knowledge (therefore stupidity), but what does it give the user? I hear it helps off the floor, however the nature of the suit means it's quite hard to lockout? The reason I ask is there are some junior records that seem to me within touching distance.

best ask sparrow legs , he's the king of deadlift suits he has far more knowledge think +30kg of raw he can get lol , just make sure to get a adjustable strap model so you can make instant adjustments as it will be needed.

for me hips felt fresher afterward not as tired , had some good pop off the floor but I need to add couple more kg or so in the legs to get more from it, the rolling the bar in technique seems to be the no-1 technique used for suited conventional deadlift so may be worth practising timing/distance raw to perfect it 1st as I did, 3 sessions half suit light 1st then medium weight then heavy, 1 or 2 sessions full suit bit heavier then should go for weights above raw max
28-03-2014

LB Squat (belted): 180kg x 5 reps

Deadlift (belted: 250kg x 3 reps

Notes:

Fantastic! Bring on the 13th, this has more than given me the confidence to hit something big on the deadlift.

Squats were not as nice as I would have liked, however I'm not going to complain.

I'll have to go and bench tomorrow morning.

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsTwo Goal Training Diary
Return to top View Desktop Site