Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsLog of Atonement

Log of Atonement

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Sat 1st August 2009 (36 today - and feeling every year of it - 2 strong coffees required to train today)

Deadlifts (1st session for world's build-up)

Warm-ups

60kg x 5
100kg x 4
140kg x 3
180kg x 3

Work-sets

210kg x 3 (not v good)
210kg x 3 (bit sluggish)
210kg x 3 (bit better speed)
210kg x 3 (better speed)
210kg x 3 (better line)
210kg x 3 (better line & speed - happy enough with that set)
MrSmall
Happy birthday, Ben!
Solid deadlifts.
A belated happy birthday Ben - you are in your prime!
Monday 3rd August 2009

The Bunker

10" Log Press

75kg x 4
85kg x 3
95kg x 1
100kg x 1
105kg x 1
107.5kg x 1 PB

95kg x 2, 2, 2

These felt good today.
Nice pb log Ben
nice logging ben! looking good for sunday.
Nice log progress ben. PB makes a nice late birthday present!
good luck for tommorow ben. bookies favourite. Wink
good luck mate, its in the bag (no pressure lol)

Gutted im not competing
Cheers guys (apart from the stuff about being favourite lol!). Real shame you both cannot be there.
August 9th 2009

British Natural Open Strongman

1) 200kg Frame Carry x 20m

Never done a frame carry before but obviously not too different from farmers.
Was head to head with Phil which made me go faster, especially as he got away quicker and I had to overtake him. Was a bit wobbly as I was using a longer stride but it seemed to work.

8.12 secs - 1st place

2) Tyre Flip (max in 75 secs, fliping back & forth) (Approx 320kg)

Started very fast but maybe too fast as I started to fade after about 6 reps and lost my rythm, I didn't count my reps but was told after that I got 10 which was I was dissapointed with as felt I should have got more and I hadn't realised Phil had done more than me, I thought i was ahead of him! This pretty much screwed my chances of winning the comp' with Jack taking max points.

10 reps - joint 8th I think for 1.5pts

3) Log Press

It was difficult to know how to go with this as I thought we were going to be moving up from the compulsory opening 77.5kg in 5kg jumps, so I had planned to take final lift at 107.5kg. However, after the first lift it was rounded to 5kg, so next option was 85kg and then 5kg jumps from there.

I went 90kg (which with hindsight was a wasted lift), 100kg which went up well and then 105kg which also went up well. I was kicking myself afterwards as the 105kg went up so well I felt confident I would have nailed 110kg for a PB. Coulda, shoulda, woulda!

105kg - joint 2nd I think but shared with several others. Bit of controvery here as Jack did the 105kg off the top of his head which we had been told you could not do at the athletes meeting, but was given a "good lift" by the ref.

4) Axle Deadlift 180kg x reps in 75secs

A very nice bar with knurling. Again, some controversy over the reffing of this event. It had eventually been decided that the bar should be lifted from a dead stop and that hitching was not allowed. However, it quickly became apparent that "touch and go" with light bouncing (even with the tyres touching unevenly) was permitted by the ref. He was pretty strict on the hitching though. Also it had been agreed there should be a down command but not everyone waited for this but still got the reps allowed.

17 reps - joint 4th??? Not sure.

5) Medley:

80kg single farmer implement x 20m
run 20m
90kg keg x 20m
run 20m
50kg sandbag x 20m

Was head-to-head with Big Joe. I decided to carry the single farmer suitcase style, I was only person to do this as it wasn't the most efficient way, but had decided to gamble on it being a bit quicker given that I had played it safe on the log. Joe got ahead of me on the first leg but I then overtook him on the keg, he then caught me on the final stretch and we loaded the sandbags ontot the kegs at exactly the same time! It was a proper race! Good fun!

Don't know time but joint 1st with Big Joe.

Overall - 2nd. Wanted to win but after the tyre disaster was happy to get 2nd in a really tight battle with Phil.
Sounds like a good comp performance mate. Log is coming on, with 105 a banker now. Looks like if it weren't for tyre you may have won it!
well done ben! looks like you justified our confidence in you. Wink
Not quite mate - I didn't win! Therefore I lost. LOL

Cheers JC, it would have been a lot closer that is for sure. I need to learn the "knee up" technique for the lighter tyres, its def faster.

I'll probably change the title of my Journal now though as I do at least feel I've made up for my dissapointing performance at the Not Englands.
I should add that I feel absolutely wrecked today and kept waking in the night aching, so know I gave it my all - bloody high rep deads!

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsLog of Atonement
Return to top View Desktop Site