Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsA Hebridean Diary

A Hebridean Diary

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Thursday Bench

I was feeling rough in work today, picked up a bit of a bug, alternated between feeling fine and feeling nauseous and light headed, nearly went home mid-morning. Probably shouldn't have trained tonight, but it was the last but one before the British, I was feeling a bit better by the time I got home, and another new face tonight. Six of us training, best for a long time, I was rushing a bit as had to dash off to golf club committee meeting straight from training.

Bar for 20
40 for 10
60 for 8
80 for 6
100 for 4
120 for 3

Big blue band (adds approx 45 at top) on and

100 for 3
110 for 1
120 for 1
130 for 1
137.5 for 1 - lifetime pb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
120 for 3
120 for 3
120 for 2 - probably didn't wait long enough, maybe just worn out!
No more time, finish.

Wanted a couple of lighter sets of 5 to finish the triceps off, but ran out of time so had to leave it there. I'll do them on Monday. Chuffed to bits with that pb - added 5 kilos to my previous best. Feeling stronger on the bench that for some time, especially on lockout - and the right arm is on the mend.

Great to have such a full garage tonight. Add Ross and the girls and we're in danger of hitting double figures soon.
Jabba
Another raw PB ? Things are looking damned good sir!
Jabba said:Another raw PB ? Things are looking damned good sir!

Yes John, thanks, it's been a good few weeks. I'm more focused on a big number in April tbh, but the last few weeks have seen good progress. I neglected equipped training for too long, and suffered for it, now I'm embracing it again.
Jabba said: Things are looking damned good sir!

I agree. Well played that man
Fatpete said:
I agree. Well played that man

Happy
Post Edited: 13.01.2014 @ 21:23 PM by Martin1956
Monday Bench

Last session before the British on Saturday. The work has pretty much been done, just a touch test/form check and a last bit of lockout work tonight. 6 of us training, good vibe. Tried a different warm up path tonight. For some reason, I didn't seem to warm up until the last three sets. But it was cold, wet and horrible...

Bar for 20
40 for 10
70 for 8
100 for 6
130 for 4

Rage X on

165 for 3 (to 6, 4 and 2 inch boards)
185 for 1 (video to follow - bit creaky but never going to miss it)

Shirt off, thick blue band on for remaining sets

100 for 5
110 for 4
120 for 3
110 for 4
100 for 5.

And that's that! Did what I wanted to do. Let's hope I'm saying the same on Saturday night!!

Jabba
The very best of luck for Saturday Martin.
Thanks John. Safe opener sorted. Fingers crossed. Happy
Aye, good luck Martin.

You're looking a bit slim in that video. I tend to look fatter lying down than I do standing up (and I look fat then) so looking slim horizontal is no mean feat.
Fatpete said:Aye, good luck Martin.

You're looking a bit slim in that video. I tend to look fatter lying down than I do standing up (and I look fat then) so looking slim horizontal is no mean feat.

Thanks Peter, I tend to look slim lying down when the fat falls to the sides, it's upright that gives me problems in that respect. Happy
Jabba
Fatpete said:Aye, good luck Martin.

You're looking a bit slim in that video. I tend to look fatter than Jabba lying down and I do standing up (and I look fat then) so looking slim horizontal is no mean feat.

Thank you Pete.
Jabba said:
Thank you Pete.

You are welcome. I not only look fatter than you. I am fatter than you.
British Bench Weekend.

The weekend started at 5.30 am on the Friday morning. Arrived at the ferry 6.20 am and nearly didn't get on. I know they say barrier closes at 6.15, but normally you turn up at 6.10 and queue for 20 minutes. Anyway, they decided to let us on about 6.45 so the weekend didn't end before it had started. The drive started in Ullapool about 10.00 am, painfully slow traffic all the way down to Perth, but I did Perth-Frodsham in under 4 hours and got there 6.30 pm.

Had a chilled evening on my own (Tioman at work) and out the door before 8.30 Saturday morning to start the drive to Horncastle. I'd checked timings on line a couple of weeks ago and the route was M62 and A1, total journey of 166 miles. But the Satnav wanted to take me on a 120 mile route, decided not to risk it. Arrived at the venue just before 11.30. Weighed in shortly after 12, 101.7, weight coming down from a Christmas high of 104 but still too much of it in the midsection! I'm competing against naturally bigger people in the 105s. 100 was about right for me, but to be truly competitive I need to get down to the 93s, so that's a major goal for 2014.

Warmed up with Tom, Marco, Ian and Sheridan - Bar for 10, 60 for 8, 80 for 6, 100 for 4, 120 for 3, 140 for 1, Rage X on and 165 for 2 to a 2-board, 175 for 1 to a 1-board, ready to go.

Platform

185 - three whites, pretty easy
192.5 - three whites, plenty more there
197.5 - fail

The 185 was planned as a safe opener, and it was just that. Thereafter, I was competing with Marco for the M2 title, he was heavier, so my second lift matched his opener and my third his second. Disappointed not to get my third one in. I had an awful hand out (not criticising volunteers doing their best, just saying what happened) and used all my energy stabilising myself and wasn't set up right so couldn't finish it. That said, the equipped strength is on the way back, I know why I failed, and Marco went 207.5 third lift so it didn't affect the result.

I appear to have been selected for the Worlds, but tbh if it was down to me I'd select Andy Rigby ahead of me even though he couldn't lift through illness. Watch this space...

Some great performances - Dean's 282.5 at the third time of asking, Phil's fantastic 218 @75, Aaron's 200, Cliff's great return, Tom attempting 202.5 aged 67 almost defies belief, good to see Martin Green nearly back to his best, Marco 205 at lighter bodyweight, Dave Williams, Alex Lee, and others I didn't even see as I was weighing in, warming up, or psyching up.

Big thanks to Jim for the way he promoted the event, and to Marc and the Horncastle Massive for all their hard work in staging the event.

Good to meet up with so many old friends again, if that camaraderie wasn't there I probably wouldn't bother travelling all the way down. Although I didn't win, nice to know I can still cut the mustard in the national championships three weeks short of 58. Winning becomes genuinely less important than just being part of an event of this quality. The aim is to go over 200 in April - more of that in a later post. I might be 58 by then, but there's no law against PBing at that age or older - is there Tom...?

There's a chance I might be doing my IPF Cat 2 later in the year - the team needs a spare referee, had a chat with Doreen, and if I'm at an international event as speaker I may as well sit the exam while I'm there, the thinking goes

Went home the Satnav way - it was 120 miles, but it still took three hours, give me the long way any day!

Another relaxing evening on Saturday (Tioman partying till dawn), then on Sunday a day of shopping, dining and chilling with Tioman, Joe, Lewis and Georgia, followed by a relaxing evening with Tio watching a film. She went to bed at 11, my plan was to power nap for an hour before setting off on the drive home. But the power nap wouldn't come - you can't force these things, it either hits you or it doesn't, I find. So I decided just to head off at the back of midnight, with plenty time to pull over for some shut eye if the need arose. I hate leaving every time, it's always too soon, but this should be the last year when that's necessary. Lewis is growing up fast and is a smart wee cookie, his mum's doing a great job with him.

Made it to Perth in less than 4 hours, bright eyed and bushy tailed, but 40 miles north of Perth I felt myself going so pulled over and had an hour's sleep. On my way again in plenty of time, but started feeling sleepy again just before Contin (west of Inverness) so pulled over again and had another 45 minutes shut eye. Finally made Ullapool shortly after 9, with just over 1200 mainland miles racked up ferry to ferry.

So the next time someone moans to me about having to travel an hour or two to a competition, get ready to be lambasted!

Next event - Scottish Bench 13th April, and maybe the World Masters the week after, maybe not. But I WILL go 200 or more in April - you read it here first!
Jabba
Great write up Martin and a good performance. Marc does put on a fantastic competition doesn't he?
Jabba
The YNE divisional id 120 miles from me, right in the NE corner of the division. It should be more central, I'm bloody sick of it.

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsA Hebridean Diary
Return to top View Desktop Site