Who's Online - 0 members and 191 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitCleaning a Barbell

Cleaning a Barbell

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

lukiIconCleaning a Barbell19-05-2020 @ 20:32 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
My bar has gone rusty from the winter weather. I’d like to give it a service before the surface rust turns into a problem. Has anyone got a good video on doing this? What type of oil/grease should I put on a bushing? Are the circlips standard if I want to replace it? It’s just the sleeves that are showing rust. The bar is coated and holding up well.
slow_lift_joeIcon...20-05-2020 @ 11:05 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
I do this as part of my maintenance every 3 months to 6 months.
I carry out maintenance around Christmas time more of a down time for me.
Then around May time again before I start the summer training and fans blowing and doors open etc.

I train in a home garage gym which is cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
Moisture is an issue so rust spots appear.

I brush the barbell first with a wire brush, clean off with a soft cloth.
Brush the chalk out with a toothbrush or a small Oxo Grips type brush.
Oil with 3 in 1 oil all over including the knurl, sleeves and bar.
Finish with some Brasso to polish the sleeves up.
I only use Brasso on the sleeves.
I oil the rotation inside of the sleeves the bush and bearings, some have different mechanisms, mine is an old Texas Power Bar and I have an old split sleeve York bar, fat bar and a Swiss/football bar with no rotation.
I let the 3 in 1 do the main work on the bar and knurl, I let it rest for a while before I clean over with a cloth to finish.

Some people I know use vinegar to remove stubborn rust but I have not tried this method, there are rust removing products but I have never used any.

I never get it perfect because the sleeves are discoloured but it helps and fight against further corrosion. It is part of my maintenance regime and very important in my opinion if you value your barbell as an important training tool, keep it clean and in good working order.
lukiIcon...20-05-2020 @ 13:52 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Thanks Joe. Will start with the wire bruch. Do you ever bother taking the ends off or just stick to outside? The end is the worst on mine. Its left under the house eaves, but the rain seems to get into it. Mine is like the wolverson fitness tpb ends with a circlip.
slow_lift_joeIcon...20-05-2020 @ 15:41 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
No worries Luki, I hope you and your family are safe and healthy.

I have not done any removal of the sleeves, on the TPB the sleeves are riveted on at the ends and on the York the design is a spilt design sleeve both my barbells are very old school and with solid sleeves, old design, there are modern versions now. I have looked after them as they cost me hard earned working class money many years ago, I love strength training and the history of the sport and looking after the kit and getting decent kit if I can afford it or when I can afford it.
(I would love a Eleiko or Ivanko but I never earned or saved enough to achieve it, but I am happy with my slowly build up collection of strength kit.

I just get the oil into the bushings, spin, more oil, clean the knurl and brasso up the sleeves. I brush chalk off with a Oxo grip brush, I am moving more and more to completely raw but I still like chalk, but reviewing the other thread about completely raw, no belt and no chalk is very interesting.

You could take the sleeves off and there are many videos on you tube showing people doing this, you need to check the mechanism and really understand what you are doing, some manufacturers do a inspection and maintenance program/guide.
This does tend to be the higher end manufacturers.

Another option would be to spray WD40 down the sleeves into the mechanism and wipe the bar down with thinner or vinegar. It is not what I do, I prefer 3 in 1 oil but I know of lads who use WD40 and vinegar to remove rusting.

There are a number of guys on you tube who do an excellent job with a rusting old barbell and the restoration, however some are a little over the top with the good old USA bro talk, but like anything amongst the "Yo Guys Talk" there is some knowledge worth learning, even if it is just one important point.

A good one to watch on you tube is the following :-
Rusty 20 + old barbell barbell unbelievable restoration - Garage Gym Reviews.
What this guy achieves is excellent but he uses vinegar ?

Take care and stay safe.

Happy
lukiIcon...21-05-2020 @ 17:48 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
I don’t think I could do without chalk. I’m too sweaty when there’s any kind of sun or humidityHappy

I’d stay away from wd40 inside. It’s a degreaser when used on heavier grease or oil. I found a care guide that says the blue 3in1 SAE-20 is for bushings and bearings. Will try that.
The wire brush and some acf50 (anti rust version of wd40 with Teflon) today and it cleaned all my rust off the sleeves. Thanks again.
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitCleaning a Barbell
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions