REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 298 guests

Clash of the Giants July 31st 2011

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Competition database entry found for this thread: Clash of the Giants Strongman Show (31-07-2011)

martinbIcon...03-07-2011 @ 19:29 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 03.07.2011 @ 19:30 PM by martinb
darrensadler said:CLASH OF THE GIANTS

EVENTS....
140KG LOG REPS
400KG YOKE 20M
320KG STANDARD DEADLIFT
150KG FARMERS WALK 40M
STONES MAX REPS 160KG

Terry, heres how I think one Scottish guy would do at this comp

Cherry who just won SSM, would IMO, get around 8reps with the log, sprint with the yoke, maybe only a few on the dead, its his biggest weekness really, he did 40ms with 150 farmers easily last week, and he is as good as anyone at stones, would get A LOT of reps with a 160

if that helps
ThingIcon...03-07-2011 @ 21:12 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Off the top of my head Terry I can't think if any as IMO the Scottish scene has been kinda quiet. But TBH this is why a comp like this should be open to the top guys in the UK. And to the pre determine list of competitors doesn't really put out a good vibe in that these guys are the best and no one else can compete. I'm not saying that they Aren't the best but the opportunity should be there even if it's just for the experience alone to get a feel and improve.
stainlessIcon...03-07-2011 @ 21:21 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
I'm not of great knowledge when it comes to Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish Strongmen so this is a genuine question not an insult directed at anyone but are there any guys of a standard that could compete at WSM right now from those countries?

I see this as irrelevant.Would a current scottish athlete at present be of a threat to the the rest of the guys in this line up? I doubt it.Should he be present in a qualifier claiming to represent British athletes?Most definately.
Athletes have to have an incentive to improve,were's the incentive if the top guys in each of these countries get completly over looked in a British competition?
Right now we have a Scotland's strongest man contest which leads the winner absolutely nowhere,so what's the incentive to train for it next year? This lack of structure leads to a lack of interest at National open level.
I know we had a good structure in place with the qualifiers for BSM but i think we could still have done a lot better than what we appear to have ended up with.
I think that simply picking a few top guys for this possible 5th slot is taking a rather short term approach.I think there was an opportunity for offering at least one place for each National champion,if for no other reason than it gives people the chance to compete against the best and ultimately raise their game.
JayMcLaughlinIcon...04-07-2011 @ 00:50 
Member 766, 113 posts
Solid events/weights
Great line up.

I think the country boundaries are becoming less relevant.
The new talent has proved themselves at the recent expo's/grand prix, which was open to all.
rottieIcon...04-07-2011 @ 08:01 
Member 870, 552 posts
martinb said:
Terry, heres how I think one Scottish guy would do at this comp
Cherry who just won SSM, would IMO, get around 8reps with the log, sprint with the yoke, maybe only a few on the dead, its his biggest weekness really, he did 40ms with 150 farmers easily last week, and he is as good as anyone at stones, would get A LOT of reps with a 160
if that helps

IMO i would defo agree here and James Fennely can also perform well against the top guys,
The comp would merit the title if it had at least one representitive from each country in Britain this would give them something to try and up ther game for.
All the best with the comp it does look like a good line up with solid events.
terryhollandsIcon...04-07-2011 @ 10:08 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
I know fennely is injured at the minute and i dunno where the boundries are but Ireland is technically part of Britain if they are trying to find a Brit

I'm not putting anyone down here at all i genuinley don't know the standard of the guys North of the border, maybe it is the same for the people organising the comp? just a suggestiom but if your man has improved that much from last years UK's maybe it would be worth him making a few trips to England for things like Winter Giants, Bodypower or the Brit Grandprix next year?
martinbIcon...04-07-2011 @ 10:44 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
I'm not putting anyone down here at all i genuinley don't know the standard of the guys North of the border, maybe it is the same for the people organising the comp? just a suggestiom but if your man has improved that much from last years UK's maybe it would be worth him making a few trips to England for things like Winter Giants, Bodypower or the Brit Grandprix next year?

haha, he got 6 or 8 reps of the 140 log at last years UKs, what let him down was his lack of experience, and getting a little over excited on some events

but your absolutely right, he needs to make sure people know who he is, hopefully he will qual and do well at this years UKs, then go on to do the comps you have mentioned next year
terryhollandsIcon...04-07-2011 @ 12:04 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
i'm not putting the guy down at all, all the scots seem to speak highly of him, all i am saying s the uk's is the only comp people have to judge him on
ThingIcon...04-07-2011 @ 12:15 
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
i Stevie's Defense i don't think he registered here but from i have been told he's been looking around. so could of easily missed this thread! so would relay on the like of Martin to tell him that his comp is on.

also on the people who organize this comp would it not be beneficial to them to find out who from england, wales, Scotland and ireland is the top of the wood pile and invite them? as there has been plenty advertising through internet forums like this of national level comps being on i.e. Wales Strongest man, & Scotland Strongest man etc. i know its a bit of if's and but's in terms of what should be done or what could be done. but in all communication has failed in both fronts in that athletes making them self's known and organizers making comps more widely known.
BigTIcon...04-07-2011 @ 14:18 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
Genuine question and not a dig:

Why is the comp to find who should go to WSM lighter than the comp to find ESM?
stainlessIcon...04-07-2011 @ 14:42 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
JayMcLaughlin said:Solid events/weights
Great line up.

I think the country boundaries are becoming less relevant.
The new talent has proved themselves at the recent expo's/grand prix, which was open to all.

Which countries boundaries? Just the ones in Britain? all of them?
Are regional boundaries of more significance than National ones?
Maybe next year there's no need for a Northern,Southern or a Mildands to contest England's strongest man,just ask the top three from last year who they think should be in a final.Does that sound like a fair way to go about it because i'm struggling to see the difference?
Nobody from Britain has won a World's strongest man since 1993,maybe the other competing countries will decide 5 places is too many for a small country like ours.
Maybe we should let Big Z, Brian Shaw and Misha pick another top 7 guys for 2011 and do away with boundaries altogether?
I'd have regional input from the bottom all the way up.
Rob_BushIcon...04-07-2011 @ 15:15 
Member 1323, 449 posts
SQ 270, BP 210, DL 320
800.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Can't argue with the calibre of the competitors taking part - they certainly are the top tier of competitive strongmen. However, do agree that there should be, at the very least, one representative from Scotland and Wales. The standard of competition in Wales this year was the most competitive I think it's been and the title really could have gone to a any number of athletes. In 2009 and 2010 one out of two Welshmen made it to the final at the UK's and were more than capable of challenging most of this comp's current competitors across the events. As the standard improves in Wales this will continue to be the case so more opportunities to compete against the cream of the British crop should arise in my opinion. It's only fair.
terryhollandsIcon...04-07-2011 @ 16:05 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
again not being rude, but i think people are missing the point of the comp! it is to find someone capable and strong enough to compete at wsm it's not a comp to see how some guys fair against others. is there any other british competitors not on that list that could hold there own at wsm? i'm not talking just do the events i'm talking actually compete imo there is 5 maximum on that list that could so it is to find which one of them is most likely to.
ThingIcon...04-07-2011 @ 16:10 
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:again not being rude, but i think people are missing the point of the comp! it is to find someone capable and strong enough to compete at wsm it's not a comp to see how some guys fair against others. is there any other british competitors not on that list that could hold there own at wsm? i'm not talking just do the events i'm talking actually compete imo there is 5 maximum on that list that could so it is to find which one of them is most likely to.

cant argue with this as he does have a fair point
johnHortonIcon...05-07-2011 @ 06:42 
horton hears a who
Member 2582, 300 posts
SQ 185, BP 110, DL 230
525.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:again not being rude, but i think people are missing the point of the comp! it is to find someone capable and strong enough to compete at wsm it's not a comp to see how some guys fair against others. is there any other british competitors not on that list that could hold there own at wsm? i'm not talking just do the events i'm talking actually compete imo there is 5 maximum on that list that could so it is to find which one of them is most likely to.

terry's right. besides,there must be some strongmen north or west of the border that keep an eye on sugden barbell! if they wanted to enter they would.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions