Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosThick Bar Training

Thick Bar Training

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Post Edited: 11.02.2007 @ 17:22 PM
Im getting a scaffold bar to do some thick bar work to strengthen my pesky grip on deadlifts.

How would you fit this into your routine?

I was thinking of doing my speed deadlifts with it and perhaps some other exercises like rows etc. Obviously i dont just want to drop the weight a lot on deadlifts to something i can lift on a thick bar, so im unsure what to do.

By the way im also going to do some heavy rack pulls (weight on blocks) to help with grip.
Dont go too mad too soon is the advice ive been given. So, id add in a few holds out of the rack after your deads, and if you wanna start adding it for more things then do it gradually.

Even a few holds though will get your grip up pretty quickly!
veriety and spice etc etc - you godda have a fairly good grip to pull 245 dave mate
why not use it for a few more exersises, say overhead presses maby?
Originally posted by Olly...
Even a few holds though will get your grip up pretty quickly!

When I was competing in Grip comps a few years back, my thick bar routine would be mostly short range pulls and holds in the rack. Stuff which wouldn't tax my regular routine much.

A couple of timed holds, working upto a set number of seconds, then adding weight works well. I preffered shorter times than most, going for a solid hold of 10-15 secs, then adding weight.

Faz
Thanks for the advice, i'll start with some holds then 10-15 secs as Fazc says Happy

Thanks Boar, though i feel it will be a problem any heavier without some grip work.

Wogihao - thanks, im doing it purely for carryover to my deadlift grip. Im not so sure if overheads etc with the thick bar will help that much? I could be wrong though Happy
Dont be afraid to drop the weight a little afterwards and go for 20-40 seconds on a couple of sets.
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosThick Bar Training
Return to top View Desktop Site