REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 269 guests

Should British strongman have a federation?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Martin_JonesIcon...29-04-2010 @ 23:18 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
lot's but I won't go into that on here.
IMO the best person to run the fed in Britain would be Eddie Ellwood! Retired from the sport now, good contacts, everyone likes him and could definately help generate some interest in the sport

Ah yes forgot about Eddie. But he is heavily involved in NABBA and has been for years. Would he have the time, or willingness to do it?
MadcowdreyIcon...01-05-2010 @ 15:45 
SUGDEN SUCKS! Which is why i am here...
Member 370, 1520 posts
SQ 285, BP 185, DL 302.5
772.5 kgs @ 94kgs Eq
the englands costs are- £800 for venue, £300 public liabilty insurance, Posters banners £300. t-shirts are covered by entry fees. trophys and medels £130, but because we get the posters out and get a good crowd in we make the money back from spectators well enough to pay for the hall and insurance.. then theres money spent on painting up the kit so it looks nice, ply wood to protect the floor.. at the southern quals last year i spent money from my own pocket for the trophys, and other stuff and did not make it back.. but it was worth it as the comp was awsome.
lil_leeIcon...01-05-2010 @ 22:43 
anti-social, except when needs help to put suit on
Member 607, 2803 posts
i think some kind of loose structure where comp organisers could apply to run a comp would be good...

i think when loads of rules get implied thats what starts people branching off...

but iv been known to talk bollox so.... IMO... Wink
shauncleggIcon...02-05-2010 @ 16:15 
The official olympic weightlifter of SB (juniors)
Member 495, 3531 posts
SQ 201, BP 137.5, DL 200
538.5 kgs @ 69kgs UnEq
if there was a federation i think there should only be ONE something like.. "BSMSWA" -
"British Strong Man and Strong Woman Association" and Tony should own it i think (Y)
lil_leeIcon...02-05-2010 @ 17:28 
anti-social, except when needs help to put suit on
Member 607, 2803 posts
shaunclegg said:if there was a federation i think there should only be ONE something like.. "BSMSWA" -
"British Strong Man and Strong Woman Association" and Tony should own it i think (Y)

thats the problem... theres nothin stoppin john9 from creating TIHsISMOF federation (tony is hitler so im starting my own fed)
BigRob_UKSAIcon...10-05-2010 @ 23:26 
Member 1347, 5 posts
Its is an interesting thread that has been started, but I know it is very early days yet, but that is why I have been working with the USA amateur association which has now taken it to a world wide level.

I set up the UKSA which I had to do, to be involved with the world championships for amateur strongmen, it has been set up as a non profit making association which is being done with the inland revenue etc, we have sponsors which will hopefully cover some or most of the flight costs to the USA to the Arnold sport festival.

As it goes along and the more sponsors we get on board the more comps we can hold for different weight classes and then get the association up and running to a larger scale in the UK.

If anyone has any ideas and suggestions, that we could look at, please feel free to post here or message me. At present there seems to be a lot of support for such an association from UK strongmen including Terry Holland etc It is time that the UK caught up with the USA, as i know that there are a lot of other countries that are now getting the ball rolling with a fed or association, to help promote and push the sport of strongman.

As with everything, there will be teething problems and you can't please everybody, but it can work if it gets the proper support.
JoniIcon...11-05-2010 @ 08:10 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
good stuff rob,

but the essense of this discussion hasnt been about wanting to have a yet another promotor led and owned "federation", but something under athlete control. Promotors come and go as we have seen, but untill the main fed/nationals are under athlete control they will always be in danger of drifting away, closing down, turning weird and what ever else.
craigmancIcon...11-05-2010 @ 20:02 
not much fun
Member 374, 3172 posts
whoever runs it will only have people slagging them off

I have always said it should have a federation then the fun starts!!

I think the way the Englands qualifier and regional comps have taken place this year was well organized as everybody had an input!!

There should be 1 coordinator and area reps in my opinion
elitestrongmanIcon...18-06-2010 @ 17:02 
thats the way I do it, don't like it not my prob
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
richscott said:but a fed would ensure that nobody is out of pocket as a result of organising a comp, i have put on two comps and have been out of pocket on both, and i know Craig who is putting on the Englands 105s is having to put his hands in his pockets for that. As for expenses i see your point but if trusted people are running things then this should not be an issue. I see peoples arguements against it, but a sport has to have structure to progress. I would be happy to do whatever i can to help get something up and running, who else would be??

I've being putting my hands n my pockets for many years, so comps you get sponsors some you don't.
elitestrongmanIcon...18-06-2010 @ 17:13 
thats the way I do it, don't like it not my prob
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
terryhollands said:
lot's but I won't go into that on here.
IMO the best person to run the fed in Britain would be Eddie Ellwood! Retired from the sport now, good contacts, everyone likes him and could definately help generate some interest in the sport

What do you want the time guy of this new FED to do?

Do you want people like myself to stop running shows?

I belive Eddy would be a good front man for the sport in Britian!

But I belive our sport is doing well at the mo, 2009 we had 2 athletes in the final of WSM, could have being 4.

Jimmy Marku, Loz & Terry are doing very well abroad this year, Rob Frampton, darren Saddler and Mark Flix also getting invites abroad! we having WSM comps in Britain.

I think the one thing that is missing from our sport in Britian is BSM, its two years since this title was last on our TVs, on thats want we need more comps on TV.

Bob Daglish
Stewart_JordanIcon...08-07-2010 @ 12:35 
Member 1404, 3 posts
SQ 300, BP 170, DL 325
795.0 kgs @ 121kgs UnEq
Too many egos and vested interests, personally you would be better off with someone instigating a defined structure all tiered into a definitive BSM that lead to proper qualification to WSM. This will never happen because although no-one seems to want to say it, the so called 'pinnacle' of the sport or our 'world cup' is down to invitations and who you know, these farcical so called qualifying events that mean jack because guys that haven't even competed in the last 12 mths mysteriously get invites and turn up on our decreasingly viewable channels( From BBC1 down to CH5 down to Bravo, where next CBeebies??)

Any federation in this country, if it cannot have direct links to an overall worldwide structure then it should keep it's goals simple and be used to protect athletes and encourage the grass roots of the sport, engage in some standardisation of levels of ability and encourage a tiered structure that someone can aspire to and clearly understand where they fit in the sport and how they can progress. A published league/s at different standards that people could compete for over a defined season could be part of this.

Too many talented, energetic, hardworking people are neglected and underutilised in this sport and I have spoken to several event organisers that simply have come to the end of their patience (and cash) and will not do it anymore.

I have been closely involved in Super Series in the past from a commercial standpoint and if you look at SCL, Super-Series and even Giants Live these are aspirational for Strongmen but really a quantum leap above most competitors and there is virtually no qualifying just invites.

Just babbling now, but we all know there are fundamental fractures in our sport and no structure, but great people and potential to make it along the lines of WWF and MMA, I do not believe it will ever be as big but sits in that marketplace with all the requisite merchandising, sponsorship and publicity opportunities. The market value is great that is why TWI haven't let go yet, it would be even greater if the sport had a coherent message and structure that the general public could understand, follow and invest in.

Just my 2p worth

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions