Anyone tried it?
AMH_PowerIcon...13-01-2021 @ 21:53 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:Or Occlusion training.
Anyone tried it?

I haven't but I would if I was injured and there was a way for me to successfully employ it to a limb.

That said, some breathing strategies with short rests can have a very similar effect when looking at biomarkers during and after with regards to disrupted z-lines and damage to the sarcolemma (myo-reps in particular).

Instead of restricting venous return (which keeps a higher concentrate of waste products and so calling on a larger MU recruitment due to artificial fatigue), myoreps keep the most strength/size-irrelevant fibres in a state of fatigue, so every back off set calls upon the larger MU's in accordance with hennemans size principle.
danbaseleyIcon...14-01-2021 @ 14:48 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Aaron, you are a the fount of knowledge on all things hoist.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...14-01-2021 @ 15:12 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22040 posts
Incredible knowledge!

Is that when people do curls with a strap around their upper arms?
PeteHodgsonIcon...14-01-2021 @ 15:51 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Cheers Aaron.
Was looking into it to reduce the load on my ankle and realised it is also used for rehab.
AMH_PowerIcon...16-01-2021 @ 10:57 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:Cheers Aaron.
Was looking into it to reduce the load on my ankle and realised it is also used for rehab.

What did you do to the ankle mate? Injured mine last year going arse over tit on a hoverboard...

I found the most effective thing for myself was creating strength at the extremes of its ROM; either by someone holding it in various terminal positions of my range of movement and then trying to return it to neutral with them resisting, or by using bands in place of a person to mimic them (I looped the band around the end of my footwear and attached the other end to a fixed object, then sat at varying angles from it)

It seemingly wasn't recovering at all until I did this, was giving me grief for 2+ months!

The crazy thing is, the bottom of my squat felt stronger; I must've had s**t proprioception and/or ankle strength in the first place!
AMH_PowerIcon...16-01-2021 @ 11:11 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Incredible knowledge!

Is that when people do curls with a strap around their upper arms?

That's the one mate, the crazy thing is even BFR(I think the in 'term' of it is 'occlusion training') with loads around 20~30% of 1RM yields larger absolute strength increases above and beyond normal strength training methods in just about any literature on it.

See above though regarding myo-reps; the effect is identical. I get more from 3 sessions of myo-reps than a full volume block in terms of phase potentiation. It means I can induce a very notable uptick in conditioning without any notable fall off in force production in contrast to a traditional volume block or linear method.

I now use velocity to track my performance; and can now confirm objectively what I already knew subjectively with respect to these.

Also, a very neat trick which goes in the face of all programming models, is doing myo-reps a week before testing.

I can only speculate that a final 'myo-rep washout' is so effective because it creates a low level overreach before a final deload, OR... a single exposure of myo-reps is enough to reinstate all the slower/smaller fibres which are neglected with low reps high weight (high loads means they are still recruited, but not fatigued which is a requirement for adaptation according to hennemans size principle).

In any case, they are ahead of the curve from a training perspective and well researched despite them being under utilised (if at all) and are now my go to for reintroducing training, or the very final session of a peaking block.

The other positive is, a full session can be done in VERY short time. They can also be utilised with less equipment or any movement, including push-ups etc. A point to note, is they may alter your force/velocity curve, so I wouldn't use them as a main training method... more like a tool when needed or for the above mentioned exploits.
PeteHodgsonIcon...16-01-2021 @ 14:38 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
What did you do to the ankle mate? Injured mine last year going arse over tit on a hoverboard...
I found the most effective thing for myself was creating strength at the extremes of its ROM; either by someone holding it in various terminal positions of my range of movement and then trying to return it to neutral with them resisting, or by using bands in place of a person to mimic them (I looped the band around the end of my footwear and attached the other end to a fixed object, then sat at varying angles from it)
It seemingly wasn't recovering at all until I did this, was giving me grief for 2+ months!
The crazy thing is, the bottom of my squat felt stronger; I must've had s**t proprioception and/or ankle strength in the first place!

Dunno what I’ve done to it specifically. On going issue for the last 7 years. Since becoming a postman basically. Feels like pain in my tendons most of the time, but shifts from 1 area to another. Also feels like some impingement going on. Sometimes get extreme stabbing pains that feels like bone on bone. Also have arthritis in my big toe
Stopped squatting and deadlifting a few months back and introduced strengthening exercises. )I’ve done these on and off for years but keep reading about different ones). Not had any improvements yet though.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...16-01-2021 @ 16:05 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22040 posts
I wonder if tight knee wraps have any coincidental benefits in relation to this concept.
PeteHodgsonIcon...16-01-2021 @ 16:26 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:I wonder if tight knee wraps have any coincidental benefits in relation to this concept.

I don’t think for the purposes of occlusion training, the knees are a good place to wrap. Top of thighs and top of arms are the two places Ive read about.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions