Resistance bands

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JFLIconResistance bands25-09-2013 @ 19:57 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
4) Resistance bands 

This is what's known as a isokinetic movement meaning the resistance increases as you perform the movement and controls your speed. Resistance bands were originally used for exercise and over the last 10 years they are now used in rehabilitation. 

They are very effective for increasing strength and power and are a big tool of mine when it comes to boosting strength in certain parts of my ROM.  Obviously the stronger the resistance the harder it is but I have found it doesn't have that much difference it just exhausts me the stronger the resistance and it impacts on my CNS. So i usually only use the super mini or small bands and just add weight. 

For deadlifts I use them to boost my acceleration and power from the floor to the knee. Likewise I use them for reverse band deadlifts to work on heavy deadlifts and from the floor to work on my strength on the lock out stage. 

For squats I don't tend to use them as I don't train heavy enough (this is me of my weaknesses and trying to work heavier I just need spotters and it's not always guard entered). Chains are more beneficial for squats I find and reverse band work.

A tip for knowing what percentage of your 1RM to work in depending on your aim. For strength training il use bands anywhere between 70-90% of my 1RM, for speed il work from 50-75% of my 1RM and for endurance based stuff which I very rarely use I won't go below 50% of my 1RM. 

The literature behind resistant band training is varied in athletes some say you can increase you strength from 10-20% in relation to isotonic exercise (which is using a barbell or dumbbell so the resistance doesn't change throughout the movement) and some literature will say there is no difference. So based on that it's good to mix it up and use the bands intermittently and on parts you feel you need to change it up if your weights are getting static. 

I have used a lot band work to boost my upper body strength particularly on shoulder press and bench.  I use resistance on seated barbell press mostly with the pins racked so I'm pressing the weight from chin height.  This really helps me boost my acceleration from the point I catch the weight after I jerk the weight off my chest.

I mostly like resistant band work cause it means I don't have to shift the heavy weights constantly and it means I can hit more reps and concentrate on my form because if you got the bands right the resistance will let you know your weaknesses.  I also enjoy band work cause if you don't get your form and power right and you don't use the momentum you will fail the lift particularly when tired and this can put you at a high risk for injury so make sure you start light and get the technique before the strength. 
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitResistance bands
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions