REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 198 guests

Sugden Centre and Manchester University

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

welshieIconSugden Centre and Manchester University28-06-2007 @ 19:00 
Member 96, 3 posts
Hey everyone,

I only recently came across this website - up until then I didn't think there was anything remotely related to powerlifting going on at Manchester uni!

I'm currently a student at Manchester and am getting into powerlifting (having come from a background of olympic lifting). I actually train at Fitness First Gorton at the moment but I'd definitely be interested in training at the Sugden next academic year and maybe even starting up a uni/AU powerlifting club/team.

Main purpose of this message is just to see whether people would be interested in this, how many manchester uni students are involved and to maybe arrange to have a chat about forming a club/team (although I realise most of the students will be home for the summer now - unless you're a medic like me and have another 2 weeks!!!)

I'll check this forum for responses but my email is sam.welsh@student.manchester.ac.uk if anyone needs to contact me directly.

Cheers,

Sam
tokarIcon...28-06-2007 @ 19:01 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
There are not many of us who are Manchester University students! Some of us have been and are no longer, and some of us never were in the first place. For most of us who train at Sugden it's just a (reasonably) convenient place to train.
JoniIcon...28-06-2007 @ 20:01 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
hey man, welcome to the forums!

i am a staff member at the Uni.

We were looking into setting up an official club two years back but it fizzled. It would be a great idea though because you could get some funding, maybe free transport to comps, and take part in the Uni PL comps.

fair few of the PL oriented guys are leaving the uni now sadly, but like with students in general, i suspect new folk are coming in soon.

If you start training at sugden, come to this forum to give a shout out and hear when folk from here usually train.
Emperor_NaseemIcon...29-06-2007 @ 02:37 
As seen on t-nation
Member 8, 192 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 220
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Welshie Im a medic as well. Just qualified 2 weeks ago. Whats your year and base hospital?
welshieIcon...03-07-2007 @ 16:59 
Member 96, 3 posts
Just finished 3rd year Naseem, at Hope base hospital. Where's your foundation post mate?

I contacted the uni, and was a little pissed off to find out I couldn't register with the AU since powerlifting is not a BUSA sport, although they did suggest the student union route which I think I'll pursue. My housemate set up a gliding society earlier this year so I'm sure he knows all the tricks.

I'm sure there'd be a few people up for it - shame to hear that a few are leaving, but a quick facebook search of powerlifting as an interest got a few hits, so I'll get in touch with them before the new academic year.

If it does happen then I'd have though there'd be a good chance of organising some competitions but I wonder how conducive the Sugden Centre would be to this? Another issue would be affiliation... I get the impression most here are BWLA, whereas I'm BDFPA. Anyway, let me know what you guys think and I'll try and get some details of what would be available (what I do know is you get £2.50 from the union for every member signed up at least).

Sam
JoniIcon...03-07-2007 @ 19:21 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
hey matey, keep us updated on the progress. If you get a squad going i'd love to tag along and train with you guys.

There's also some other members of staff who at least used to do powerlifting who said they would support any iniative to get a club going.

Jim Blanchflower has a crew going at salford uni. If this one kicks off, we could organise some friendly fixtures as well.

hey i really thought powerlifting is a BUSA sport?
tokarIcon...03-07-2007 @ 20:36 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Powerlifting was a BUSA sport when I was an undergraduate (1998-2002). I wouldn't be surprised if there were few competitions but I would be surprised if it had been removed altogether.
BazIcon...03-07-2007 @ 22:22 
Weak training is still training.
Member 63, 260 posts
SQ 135, BP 110, DL 195
440.0 kgs @ 78kgs UnEq
Great idea!!
I'm still at uni here and i had thought about a club but never took it any further since im really new to the sport. Do you think it would be possible to allow those who have already graduated to join a club? That way we could have quite a few more members?
welshieIcon...04-07-2007 @ 15:25 
Member 96, 3 posts
Found out some more about the sport's BUSA status - apparantly it used to be a BUSA sanctioned sport but lost this status around 6 years or so ago, becuase the number of entries into the competition fell to zero in the last year!

I enquired as to the possibility of reinstating the sport and was told that the criteria would be:

1.) For there to be an existing university competition (or university section within an open competition).
2.) For this to be recognised by the sport's governing body.
3.) For at least 22 institutions to be involved.

Obviously this is something much longer term, but I've got 2 years left at uni and I'm sure something could happen in that time?

In the meantime, I think I'm going to go the society route for a club at Manchester uni, and hopefully get some solid plans for the next academic year. The idea of staff and others getting involved is a great one I think, and those 'friendly' competitions with Salford sound like good fun!

Unfortunately I finish my placement tomorrow and am going home for the summer so the first opportunity I'll have to meet up and train with you guys will probably be around late August. I'll definitely keep you up to date via this forum with how far I'm getting with the society, and arrange a meet and greet nearer the time.

I really do think a BUSA competition would be really great news for the sport in the long run though, don't you think?
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions