REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 216 guests

From Pec Rupture Reattachment Surgery to the Platform

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

walkerIconFrom Pec Rupture Reattachment Surgery to the Platform09-11-2017 @ 21:11 
Does not need Advice, knows everything.
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Post Edited: 09.11.2017 @ 21:15 PM by walker
I've not posted on here for a couple of years but I want to start this journal to document my recovery, which may assist if anyone else is unfortunate enough to suffer the same injury I'm recovering from.

Very brief history.. from a little bit of strongman to powerlifting with my last competition where I lifted equipped at the IPF Commonwealth Championship in Canada 2015.. I bombed but got a Bronze in the deadlift!! Prior to injury I wasn't squatting at all but had benched a raw PB of 160 and deadlifted a beltless 250.

After changing careers early last year I had a forced break from powerlifting and then decided it was a good idea to start playing American Football last winter at age 34! The season went well this summer but I kept picking up niggles as well as knee issues having never had any knee problems before! In our playoff quarter final, well up with only a few minutes remaining, I sacked their QB with an outstretched arm tackle... as we hit the floor my arm was hyperextended and I felt and heard a pop as both parts of my pectoral major tendons ruptured from the insertion point on the humorous!!

I was injured on 20th August and surprisingly it wasn't that painful or restrictive. After an ultrasound scan it was confirmed a full avulsion and I had surgery to reattach just over 3 weeks later on 12th September.

I'm at 8 weeks post surgery now and my recovery is going extremely well and I'm ahead of where I should be. I'll document it in separate posts. I've retired from Football after 1 season and will be returning to powerlifting when I'm able. Prognosis is 4-6 months for full strength recovery, sometimes longer.

I've read 2 logs on here from others who had the same injury and surgery:

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/John-Rs-journal-of-seeya-...

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/Rebuild-of-The-Bull-2400
walkerIconWeek 109-11-2017 @ 21:20 
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Week 1..

After the surgery I could barely move for best part of a week and could barely sleep! I was regretting having the surgery.. Pain was intense and I was on a lot of dihydrocodeine, paracetamol and naproxen.. Constipated and feeling s**t.

Discharge note said no ROM above 90° and use of polysling for 4 weeks for comfort. I was in the sling most of the time including when trying to sleep on my back upright on the sofa!
walkerIconWeek 209-11-2017 @ 21:39 
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Week 2..

Much of the same, trying to use less pain relief but pretty much in the sling full time. Elbow really sore as well from lack of use.

Still no training, unable to drive, but started walking around more.
walkerIconWeek 309-11-2017 @ 22:35 
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Week 3..

I had my first visit to the NHS Physio at the start of week 3 which was a little premature from all the information I've read about the injury and recovery.

There wasn't much he could do for me but he gave me some gentle movements to do and said I didn't need to be in the sling all the time. He said no training at all.. but he seems pretty clueless.

About half way through this week I ditched the sling when in the house only wearing it out and about.

At the end of the week I was back in the gym on leg machines, exciting.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions