Who's Online - 1 member and 198 guests

Deadlift variation

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

BazIconDeadlift variation05-08-2007 @ 22:29 
Weak training is still training.
Member 63, 260 posts
SQ 135, BP 110, DL 195
440.0 kgs @ 78kgs UnEq
Here's a safe variation to try when normal deadlifting is getting boring for you.

madcapIcon...06-08-2007 @ 12:53 
Squat rack hog
Member 82, 380 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 145, DL 260
622.5 kgs @ 92kgs UnEq
so that's how Colonel Sanders died...
IainKendrickIcon...06-08-2007 @ 17:21 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Thats how you train to 'pick up the soap'. I bet he's evryones favourite cuddly bear in the showers.
FazcIcon...13-08-2007 @ 02:47 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Damn, thats some stupid s**t.
jimblanchflowerIcon...13-08-2007 @ 11:51 
Teabagger for hire
Member 54, 237 posts
For best results this exercise should be performed after drinking a bottle of scotch.
tokarIcon...13-08-2007 @ 18:58 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Good for core stability no doubt....
zenpharaohsIcon...09-09-2007 @ 02:31 
Member 142, 6 posts
SQ 190, BP 125, DL 227.27
542.3 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.09.2007 @ 02:33 AM
Your turns.

tbenchIcon...09-09-2007 @ 21:07 
addicted to bench press, needs help
Member 80, 1384 posts
SQ 175, BP 160, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Originally posted by zenpharaohs...
Your turns.

to me it looks like a quick way to get injured i cant see how the benefit of this exercise can outweigh that.
zenpharaohsIcon...10-09-2007 @ 05:26 
Member 142, 6 posts
542.3 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Originally posted by tbench...
Your turns.

to me it looks like a quick way to get injured i cant see how the benefit of this exercise can outweigh that.

Well you work up so there is almost no chance of injury. The bar is always below you, which means you won't get stapled. I have had a hammer thrower (made a cut but not the team at recent U.S. Olympic trials) remark on that video that it would be excellent for glide-style shot putters. A discus thrower I know who is trying to make the team at a big U.S. university is using them - he started with 5x135# (60kg) and found that challenging. Maybe that will help with the credibility of this unloved exercise.

But the real understanding of this exercise comes from doing it. It is just not possible to explain the forces you experience on your legs when you go reasonably heavy for this, because that depends on the particular stability limitations of your nervous system and the strength endurance of the "forgotten muscles" of your legs. At first, with the massive vibrations of poorly stabilizing the lift, you will find it a new experience in physical exertion unlike that of a heavy squat or deadlift. You have to develop a coordination among all the muscles of the legs which results in a very robust strength. It's great for ankle, knee, and hip health, and it makes you much less likely to fall badly even in bad footing.

Plus you can bang the crap out of your legs without your back begging for mercy. That 100kg in the video is less than half my 1RM deadlift, but is not my max (I've never maxed this lift). Trust me on this. Just about everyone will learn something new from trying this lift. You get a lot of guys just shaking their heads when they see destabilized single leg work. Don't worry. Just do it. What the exercise does for you is inside you, not in the head shaking of others.
tbenchIcon...10-09-2007 @ 08:18 
Member 80, 1384 posts
SQ 175, BP 160, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
well you seem to know what your talking about but its still not for me,i want to be as strong as i can be and i think that would be best served by doing conventional d,lift,i forgot to say welcome to the siteHappy
zenpharaohsIcon...10-09-2007 @ 19:30 
Member 142, 6 posts
542.3 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
well you seem to know what your talking about but its still not for me,i want to be as strong as i can be and i think that would be best served by doing conventional d,lift,i forgot to say welcome to the siteHappy

Actually the thing about the conventional deadlift is that it is more like the "proof" that you are strong than it is a great strength builder. You can't just go bang your heavy DLs every week. It's great to train the heavy squats and deads when they fit into the program, but what adds pounds to the deadlift is the consistent work on as many related lifts as you can. It's not surprising to me that some elite strength coaches are shifting to single leg work. It's metabolically easier to fit, you can put much more force on the legs than the back, without resorting to machines that restrict motion.

On the other hand, the big compounds are unrivalled for adding size. When you get as many muscles as possible on line, then you are pushing the metabolic panic button. If you want lasting strength through all your lifts, then the squat and the dead in generous portions are your friend. I never used to think in these terms but squats and deads have become some of my favorite conditioning exercises:
tbenchIcon...10-09-2007 @ 19:45 
Member 80, 1384 posts
SQ 175, BP 160, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq

Actually the thing about the conventional deadlift is that it is more like the "proof" that you are strong than it is a great strength builder.
It's not surprising to me that some elite strength coaches are shifting to single leg work.

we have some great d,lfters on this forum lifting 300kg,also we have the brittish world deadlift record holder andy bolton,the day they put this single leg thing in there routien would be the day i would be converted,cant see that happening though,if elite strength coaches are moving to this method im sure its not to train elite powerlifters,anyway each to there own.
CuddlesIcon...10-09-2007 @ 20:12 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Actually the thing about the conventional deadlift is that it is more like the "proof" that you are strong than it is a great strength builder. You can't just go bang your heavy DLs every week. It's great to train the heavy squats and deads when they fit into the program, but what adds pounds to the deadlift is the consistent work on as many related lifts as you can. It's not surprising to me that some elite strength coaches are shifting to single leg work. It's metabolically easier to fit, you can put much more force on the legs than the back, without resorting to machines that restrict motion.

The deadlift isnt a great strength builder? Normally its Joni smoking the crack pipe around here but I guess in the spirit of sugden he lent it to you. How do powerlifters who pretty much exclusively use the deadlift as a strength builder get stronger at deadlifts? Id wager that many of the 800lb+ deadlifters do little to no single leg work on a regular basis, most building their strength with good old fashioned heavy compound exercises. (Deadlifts, power cleans, rack pulls, squats, front squats etc)

Now im not disputing that single leg work is being used by a lot of strength coaches to help improve their athletes. BUT, most of these athletes are using strength training to get better at another sport. Banging away at heavy squats and deadlifts isnt always going to be the most productive way for these guys. They need to be fresh for their specific sporting practice and competition. The guys on here lift weights to get better at lifting weights. It IS their speicific sports practice and competition. A completely different ball game.
CuddlesIcon...10-09-2007 @ 20:14 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Just to clarify my post. The Deadlift is a GREAT strength builder. As are the squat and the bench.
badboy007Icon...10-09-2007 @ 20:55 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Dead and Squat in particular can transform your strength and overall size/girdle rapidly, unlike any other exercises IMHO.

Benches and standing presses are good, not quite as good though.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions