REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 141 guests
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsAdventure Time!

Adventure Time!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 8889909192939495969798

Craig_PfistererIcon...11-06-2017 @ 01:44 
Sugdens 'man' at WSM 2021
Member 1513, 2139 posts
SQ 224.5, BP 181, DL 276.5
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 02.07.2017 @ 02:08 AM by Craig_Pfisterer
June 10, 2017 – Week 2, Day 3

5 Minutes Concept 2 Rower

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

One Leg Leaning Calf Raises
BWx49/49

Regular Box Touches (12” Box)
BWx15

Band Rows w/Biceps Stretch
MBx25/10 seconds

Sumo Box Touches (12” Box)
BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

Hip Airplanes (supported)
BWx7/7

Farmer’s Walk
With Turns (at 15m)
51x30m in 14.10 seconds
Straight Runs
91.5x15m in 7.37 seconds
Max Distance
134x54.2m

Sandbag Rows
50x5
72.5x5
95x5

Sandbag Load to Height (1.47m)
113x10

Sandbag Bearhug Carry
113x78.61m
113x78.61m

Stretching

Comments: Not feeling the best. Issues from earlier were enough to get me to catch a slight cold. Tried do my best to alleviate things with some ibuprofen, massage, went to bed early and ate like seven strip steaks. Little bit better in the morning but still not ready to seize the day. Slept about an hour later than my alarm initially got me up. Had to make today work as this is the only day I can do these events and I wanted to be free tomorrow. Warmed up on the rower. Not bad, calves were tight and this felt good. Calf work went well. This was good as they have been tense since Thursday. Box touches, band rows and biceps stretch after that. Felt good. Little achy in the hip on first run through but it went away after a rep or two. Hip airplanes after that. No balance issues so no redoing reps. Then on to moving with weights and stuff. Same plan as last time with farmer’s walk. First set being light, longer run with a turn and then a bit heavier for a straight run. Again, knocked over the cone on the longer run with the turn. Almost a second slower from last time. Not too concerned, I think is was more that I miscalculated the turn. Thinking not being the best with the cold. Straight run was much better from last session. Much faster. I had confidence in the weights staying on this time. My concern was with the max distance farmer’s walk run. I didn’t feel like I wouldn’t pick it up but with how I was feeling, I was worried I would severely underperform. I however managed to beat the distance from last time with more weight. I had to use more clips and collars to secure the weight so it ended up increasing the handle weight a bit for that last set. Of course that was just the start of the session so on to sandbag work to do. Sandbag rows for sets of fives. Put a 4.5kgs plate on top to increase the weight from last time. Felt pretty good but dreading the next exercise. Set of ten with the 113kgs sandbag loading to a height. I didn’t want to do over an object and have to struggle with readjusting the bag but the setup last time was way too unstable. I setup an axle in a power rack and used mats to get the setup right. Not trying to toss the bag over, just getting the extension to hit the goal height. I feel my pacing was better this time and I wasn’t gasping for air during the set like last time. I don’t enjoy this one but I know it is helping me. Last thing was just evil. Max distance sandbag carry bearhug style then rest five minutes and bring it back to the finish. Lots of max distance stuff with failing. As it has been stated, fatigue makes cowards of us all so I need to keep at it. Only did a short run last time but I figured I could beat what I was doing with the farmer’s walk. That first walk was tough with the horizon being the only real goal. Long rest and then on to matching the distance. It’s like extra incentive to not fall short of the goal when you have a training crew. I felt better on the second run and having a visible reference to match made it easier to keep going. I feel I could have gone further on the second run. Very tired after all this. More event specific stuff these next few weeks. Stretched and drove home.

Craig_PfistererIcon...14-06-2017 @ 23:00 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 13, 2017 – Week 3, Day 1

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

Incline Bench Presses
20.5x10
43x3
66x3
84x3
102x3
125x3
112x3
1 Second Pauses
95x5

Chest Supported Rows (1 second holds)
68x10
102x8
102x8
102x8

Circus Dumbbell Clean and Presses
Plate Loaded Dumbbell with Fat Gripz Extreme
(3 stage 2 second pauses)
18x1 L
18x1 R
32x1 L
32x1 R
36x1 L
36x1 R
41x1 L
41x1 R
45x1 L
45x1 R
50x1 L
50x1 R
54.5x1 L
54.5x1 R
Circus Dumbbell
59x1 L
59x1 R
63.5x1 L
63.5x1 R
(competition style)
68x7 L
68x7 R

Stretching

Comments: Today didn’t start off well. This week didn’t start off well. Cold hit me pretty hard Sunday. Only went outside to go for a walk. Hasn’t helped that it has been over 32.2 the past few days. On top of the cold (which is slowly going away), my upper back has been really sore and achy. Started feeling it Sunday afternoon and it got more tense after that. I’m hoping it is more just getting used to the new demands being placed on it, similar to my biceps from last cycle. Today though it was a lot more than I liked and I put some lidocaine on it before going to work for some relief. With the head cold, the heat and the upper back issue (specifically the left side) I was debating just chalking up the week as a recovery week and try it again next week. Debated leaving work to go home and sleep. Did all kinds of movements and stretches at my desk to find some relief. Started to feel slightly better so I figured I’d go train. As long as it didn’t make things worse I’d give it a shot. Warmed up as per usual on the AMT. Heart rate got to 153bpm. Calf work followed. Reduced work load here so quite easy. Box touches and band rows with biceps stretch again. No aches on box touches. Rows didn’t appear to make things any worse or any better. Some shoulder tightness on the stretch but seemed uniform between both sides. Hip airplanes went alright. No loss of balance (was able to catch myself). Incline bench after that. Essentially the same as last time just working up in sets of three to a top set where I had good form followed by a second set at 90% and then pause reps. I was initially planning on just going for 120kgs for the solid triple as I had done a double with it during one of the cycles and it wouldn’t be something I couldn’t get with good form. I ended up talking myself into going for 125kgs and I’m glad I did as that went up pretty well with good form. Second set with the reduced weight was good too. Pauses were done for a set of five with more weight than last time. Not bad either. Chest supported rows with static holds after that. I went down in weight only because I forgot how much I had done on these last time and didn’t put in on my workout sheet for this workout. I did more on the warm-up set so maybe that evens things out. Now it did indicate I could back track on weight as the goal is more for the control and blood flow. With the right side of my upper back feeling as it did, it was probably best that I didn’t increase the weight. However, I feel that if I knew what I did last time, I probably would have added weight. I’m stubborn like that sometimes. Circus dumbbell after that. Plan this time was working up in singles with the push press pause and hold method until I got to the working weight to use my competition style. Goal being to do AMAP in 60 seconds with my stronger side with a set percent of my 1rm (so far) and then match it with the lagging side with no time limit. Of course my “strong side” was the side that was bothering me. I mimed the motion at work during the day to see if it would bother me. Thankfully, it didn’t. Switch sides to start off on as usually I’m leading with the lagging side. Granted, they are neck and neck now with training. I was reviewing the equipment I had versus the contest equipment. My dumbbell setup has slightly thicker handle and larger bell diameter but is about 20cm shorter than the contest dumbbell is going to be. First time I think that part of it has set in. Will just have to keep pushing it and see how it goes contest day. So I was anxious as I usually am when I got to put it on the line, even in training. Little shaky on the first rep but I got a into a groove. Touch and go on the ground so now relaxing of the dumbbell and cleaning right back to the shoulders. Got seven and missed number eight twice. First miss with the eighth was due to not squeezing the handle enough as it rolled out of my grip at the lockout. I had ten seconds left after I put down the bell and I gave it another try but couldn’t get it back in the right spot and went for it but no dice. Too far out from my body to recover and get under it. I got the seven in about 45 seconds so about one every 6.5 seconds. Not a bad pace, potentially nine reps there if I can get it all to come together. Obviously this is quite a bit under contest weight but it is a good start. No time limit then for the other side. Happy to get the same reps with no breaks. Definitely taking things a little longer to setup. Even without being on the time limit, I got them in under a minute but I was beat. I had just under eight seconds left (if I was on a time limit) and I was nearing my limit. About one rep every 7.5 seconds. Not bad. Home to stretch and eat. More lidocaine and ibuprofen before going to bed.

Craig_PfistererIcon...16-06-2017 @ 12:58 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 15, 2017 – Week 3, Day 2

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx25

MBx25/10 seconds

Squat Therapy (16” Box)
BWx25

BWx25

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

16” Front Box Squats
20.5x10
43x5
61x3
84x3
102x2
125x1
134x3

Crunches
BWx50

Band Side Bends
ABx35/35

Stretching

Comments: Cold is going away. Whatever was going on with the upper back and shoulder on my left side has also lessened. This workout is a lot less intense right now for these next four weeks with the increased event stuff on Saturdays. Still quite warm and humid but definitely a lot more tolerable than it was the first half of this week haha. Started out with the AMT. Heart rate was only up to 146bpm. Calf raises were pretty easy. Compared to what I was doing last week that is. Going from one to the next with no rest. Hamstrings were really tight on regular style box touches. Still felt good. Band rows felt better compared to the first workout this week. Shoulders were definitely tight on the biceps stretches. Squat therapy was pretty good, barely any aches in the right knee. Second run through of box touches (sumo style), band rows and biceps stretch was good too. Hip airplanes were tough on my injured side. Kept losing balance so I ended up doing a few more than written. No issues with the other side. Then on to the weights. Only weighted exercise for the session was front box squats. Slight adjustment from what was previously being done. Still the same kind of weight jumps but now similar to how box squats have been with aiming for a top set of 1-3 reps depending on how I feel. I figured it was best to get used to the hard belt on these as well so I put on the rehband belt for the last set before the working set and then the hard belt for the top set. Felt heavier working up compared to last time haha. Top set, the weight moved easy but I know I need to get used to breathing with the weight on my clavicle as there is a lot of pressure and I don’t want to pass out. I should get better at it. Moved right into ab work after that. No real cramping like last week so that was good. Home to stretch, eat and sleep.

Craig_PfistererIcon...17-06-2017 @ 22:59 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 17, 2017 – Week 3, Day 3

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

Car Deadlift Apparatus Deadlifts (12” pick height, front bar)
emptyx5
79 tirex1
79 tire + 32x1
193 tirex1
193 tire + 32x1
272 tirex1
272 tire + 22.5x1
272 tire + 45x1
272 tire + 68x1
Added Straps
272 tire + 91x5

Stone of Steel Carries
Rows
62.5x5
Carries
113x5.51m
113x10.69m
113x35.43m
113x35.43m

Vehicle Push
1,221.5kgs + 1 person + 91kgs in trunkx142.85m in 80 seconds

Stretching

Comments: Out to train at Lancaster again. Raining of and on driving out but nothing while actually there lifting. Not beastly hot as it had been earlier this week but very humid. Cold pretty much gone by now. Still got upper back/shoulder thing but it is tolerable. Warmed up on the concept rower. Calf work after that was easy so right into to box touches, band rows and biceps stretch. Hip airplanes were really good. No balance issues on any reps. Then the event work. First thing being car deadlift. I had tested it out last week after training to figure out what I needed to adjust to get the setup to the right height for the competition and to figure out if my straps would work. Definitely a different pull from the usual deadlift. Have to stand back from the bar a bit in order for it to clear my legs and be right at my hips at lockout. Goal for the workout being to work up in singles to a top set of five for something that I could make look powerful and comfortable. Empty in hand about 45kgs with just the frame. Small tire on and then plates to the loading pins. I then put the small tire on top for the next size up tire and just kept that and added weight to the loading pins. The next size tire up was 295kgs and I wasn’t sure if it was worth moving it when I had plenty of room on the loading pins for more weight. Might change that next time. Set before my work set was a bit tougher than I was expecting. Everything felt good on the working set. Had few grunting noises in for good measure haha. Definitely more there so that is good. Then came a tough one. Stone of steel carries. I was not looking forward to this. I got to practice this with it being part of the medley and it is the only part that concerns me. I knew it was going to be tough because it is a pain carrying the empty stone of steel around. Warmed up doing set of rows with it empty. I figured I’d see how it went with a regular shirt and chalk. That was a failure. No issues picking up the stone but can’t keep a good grip on it. Very different from sandbag. I can lean back with sandbag. Leaning back with the stone of steel causes my grip to get worse and makes breathing harder. I barely got anywhere the first set and felt like I was going to pass out. Few minutes rest and gave it another try and got about twice the distance of my first attempt. Hamstrings were popping out. This wasn’t going to work, I wasn’t even getting 12m which was the leg of the medley. Took a break to reset and put on the receiver gloves and grip shirt. The gloves made a bit difference. I felt I was getting more comfortable with the stone restricting my breathing each set. About halfway into the run, it felt like my legs stopped responding and I really slowed down. I told myself to go faster and that seemed to snap them out of it. Also some more guttural noises. This time, I made an appreciable distance, more than doubling the first two attempts combined. Just like sandbag, five minutes and another go to match the distance. I was moving much better and I feel I could have gone even further. Quite the hamstring and upper body workout carrying that thing. Getting better each time. Had a bit of an issue with the car push. I put more weight in the trunk and had a heavier passenger but the parking lot was too easy in the middle. The start was nice and tough and the end went up hill after that. I kept calling for the time when it went up hill only to find out that no one was timing. So I stopped there haha. Going to have to keep track of what I hit a different locations to compare as I more than doubled my usual distance. Felt good to be around other people getting ready to compete. Stretched and drove home.

Craig_PfistererIcon...22-06-2017 @ 01:52 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 20, 2017 – Week 4, Day 1

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

12” Log Presses
Viper Presses (Dumbbells)
4.5’sx10
9’sx5
13.5’sx5
18’sx5
Viper Press + Push Presses (Log)
45x3+2
Clean and Push Presses
54.5x1
63.5x1
72.5x1
81.5x1
91x1
100x1
109x1
118x1
127x1
136x1
145x0

Chest Supported Rows
45x10
77x5
100x5
122.5x5
145x5
168x5
151x5

Dead Floor Presses
20.5x10
61x3
84x3
106.5x3
129x3
152x3
137x3
Close Grip (2 Second Pauses)
119x5

Stretching

Comments: Humid. Weather hasn’t been as beastly hot as last week. Air conditioning wasn’t working at work the day before and part of the day today. Can tell if I’m still dealing with getting over the cold or if it is just seasonal allergies now. Shoulder and upper back issues still present but it feels a lot better and feels like it will go away in due time. Warmed up on the AMT. Heart rate got up to 153bpm this time. Not bad. Easy calf work after that and then a short circuit of box touches, band rows and biceps stretch. First time regular box touches and second time sumo box touches as I have been doing. Band rows went well. Stretch felt better on the second set as I was able to get a better area to stretch that time. Hip airplanes were ok. I lost balance on one rep each side so I did them until I got enough good reps. Then the lifting. Log press as it has been. Same warm-ups as last time but only doing singles for push press. Going up 9kgs a set aiming 1rm. Time to see if lightning would strike twice. I hadn’t been expecting to hit 136kgs last time so I felt some pressure to get it again and try for more. Cleans felt better this time and Felt like I was keeping a rack position better with my elbow up. I noticed no dropping of the elbows on any set. I was fighting the urge to retch the whole session as I was nervous. In spite of that, I hit 136kgs with no issues and gave 145kgs a shot. I gave 145kgs a shot but not today. Didn’t feel impossible. Just felt heavy but not so much that I was uncomfortable. It will come. Burst out in a cold sweat as I usually do after a miss with a max single attempt. I don’t like missing lifts. But I know this will improve as I already felt improvement with the log from just the previous session. Got to remind myself that two weeks ago I hadn’t even thought I was anywhere close to 136kgs on log and now I’ve hit it twice with something still in the tank. 145kgs would have been a 4.5kgs all-time PR. No doubt I’d match my current all-time best, just need to get stronger. Then on to chest supported rows, working up to a heavy set of five over five sets after a light warm-up set. Went heavier than planned. I think it had to do with missing that last long lift and for not being able to go heavier last week with my upper back and shoulder acting weird. Top set is definitely a tough one with the big jumps. Same as last time, 10% off that one for one more set of five. Last exercise for the session was dead floor presses. I had to wait a bit to use the power rack. So I was going slow on the rows near the end and still ended up waiting a bit. Triples up to a top set and then 90% of that for another triple and then drop down to a little more than I used last time on the paused reps for a set of five. 22.5kgs jumps as I had a weight in mind. When up easier than I expected, probably could do it for five reps today. Then dropped to 90%. Again, kind of false started the first attempt to get it off the pins haha. Pause set was pretty easy after that. Home to stretch and eat.

BillytheoldIcon...22-06-2017 @ 03:39 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
I was checking out 6-17 the sandbag stuff is really impressive. Tommarrow I try again.
Farmers also good! That's cool that you got a strongman coach.
Craig_PfistererIcon...22-06-2017 @ 13:09 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Billytheold said:I was checking out 6-17 the sandbag stuff is really impressive. Tommarrow I try again.
Farmers also good! That's cool that you got a strongman coach.
Thanks Billy. Best of luck with sandbag. My upper back gets really sore from the max distance farmers and sandbag stuff.
Craig_PfistererIcon...23-06-2017 @ 22:47 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 22, 2017 – Week 4, Day 2

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx25

MBx25/10 seconds

Squat Therapy (16” Box)
BWx25

BWx25

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

16” Box Squats
20.5x10
43x5
61x5
84x5
102x3
125x3
143x2
165.5x1
184x1
206x3

Leg Raises
BWx50

Band Side Bends
ABx35/35

Stretching

Comments: Again, not feeling my best going into this workout. Allergies acting up. Haven’t had issues in several years so very annoying to have this popping back up again. Sleep not the best the past two days, trying to get that under control again. Some aches in the injured areas but nothing to write home about. Warm-up on the AMT. Heartrate up to 151bpm. Calf raises followed. Easy stuff really. No issues with box touches in either style. Rows and stretch felt good. Squat therapy felt good, no knee aching. Hip airplanes followed that. Balance was tough on my damaged side. Starting to notice a pattern with this session being the hardest to balance with all the lower body reps prior to doing them. Got to keep it up. Then on to box squats. Still working up to a top set for 1-3 reps. Trying to maximum effort into each rep. No miscounting on any sets this time. The goal had been to go for 204kgs for the top set but I felt compelled to keep with the quarter, plate, quarter jumps. Hard to fight that some times. Got my three but it was definitely the three hardest reps of box squats so far. Last two especially. Felt a lot of pressure in my head getting though the midpoint of the lift. With how hard these were, I thought for sure my form was terrible and I was bent over. Video suggests I wasn’t. Stuff is just getting heavy. Glad that it was just abs after that. High reps on the leg raises and band obliques. Abs were pretty tense so leg raises were fairly tough. Not too bad with the band stuff. Home to stretch and eat.

Craig_PfistererIcon...25-06-2017 @ 00:53 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 24, 2017 – Week 4, Day 3

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

Farmer’s Walk
With Turns (at 15m)
51x30m in 14.34 seconds
Straight Runs
91.5x15m in 7.09 seconds
Max Distance
138x51.15m

Stone of Steel Over Bar (1.45m)
62.5x5
91x1
102x1
113x1
130x10

Keg Carries
113x83.44m
113x83.44m

Stretching

Comments: Cold, allergies, I’m not sure. It isn’t as bad as it was two weeks ago but as is usually the case, it lingers. Tried to get some good sleep in to be ready to train. Got to train earlier than I usually do. Warmed up on the rower. Felt smooth. Calf work went well and right into box touches, band rows and biceps stretch after that. No issues here either. Slight balance issues on some reps of hip airplanes but still good. Then on to moving with weights and stuff. Same plan as last time with farmer’s walk. First set being light, longer run with a turn and then a bit heavier for a straight run. Windy as a bas***d out when I started. I didn’t realize how windy it was at the start. It was blowing my cones I had to mark distances but not knocking them over. I was thinking someone kept moving them at first and I was angry for no reason haha. Put some small weights on the cones to keep them from moving. First set was slow. Slower than last time. Just warm-up and the event is a straight run. It’s the turn I think with the “confined” space. Then I ran into further frustration. Wind kept knocking over my camera and the handles kept rolling. Camera fell one to many times and it broke. So had to use my phone for the rest of the workout. Straight run was good. Much faster than last time. I think I could pick up more speed getting the pick right. Third time doing max distance farmer’s walk so I’m getting used to how it feels. Pick felt a little harder but I felt better moving with it. Didn’t feel that heavy in my hands. I should say, didn’t feel heavy in my shoulder girdle. Ended 3m short from last time but still going a long distance still. Took my time getting ready for the next exercise; stone of steel. First time I’ve paired this with farmer’s walk so wasn’t sure how that would feel. Kind of did this last week too with the carries. Plan here being to work up to a weight and go for 5-10 reps. I was little timid with the first two reps of that top set but I got better with getting full extension and getting my hips into it. First five weren’t bad, the last five were tough. Didn’t stop until I got ten. Well, I wasn’t positive it was ten at that time as I lost count and no one was keeping track haha. Almost three minutes of effort there. Really happy with the effort. No one is going to out work me. And not done as there was still one more exercise on the agenda. As has been a theme the past two weeks, a max distance carry for two sets. Go to failure with the implement, rest five minutes and bring it back to the finish. This time it was a keg. I usually do keg carry low, right on the hips with a staggered grip. While this can let me go farther, it isn’t going to be the best option for the medley work and I need to work on my stride. So holding high, off the legs. I did one pick up to the chest to make sure it wasn’t going to put weird pressure and mess up my breathing. Rather not find out on the run. I realized quickly into that first run that this was going to be easier than the stone of steel and sandbag for carrying but would mean further to go. I also realized this keg had water sloshing in it too. The return set was the toughest one of these so far. It was the furthest and the wind picked up and was blowing against me the whole way back. I was about 7.5m from finishing when I had to go up a little incline and the wind picked up more. Almost stopped me in my tracks but I was able to push through to the end. Long day, really tired after all this. Looking forward to some down time to recover.

Craig_PfistererIcon...29-06-2017 @ 03:19 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 27, 2017 – Week 5, Day 1

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

Incline Bench Presses
20.5x10
43x2
66x2
88.5x3
111x2
134x2
120x2
1 Second Pauses
102x5

Chest Supported Rows (1 second holds)
68x10
109x8
109x8
109x8

Circus Dumbbell Clean and Presses
Plate Loaded Dumbbell with Fat Gripz Extreme
(3 stage 2 second pauses)
18x1 L
48x1 R
32x1 L
32x1 R
41x1 L
41x1 R
45x1 L
45x1 R
50x1 L
50x1 R
54.5x1 L
54.5x1 R
Circus Dumbbell
59x1 L
59x1 R
63.5x1 L
63.5x1 R
68x1 L PR+4.5kgs
68x1 R PR+4.5kgs
(competition style)
72.5x8 L (under a minute) PR+2 reps
72.5x8 R (5 under a minute, 5+[1/1/1])

Stretching

Comments: Still got cold and/or allergy stuff going on. I was fully expecting my upper back to be all tight and seize up like two weeks ago but nothing so that is good. Getting used to it as I thought I would. Biceps and lats tight from Saturday training. Got some bruising on the lower abs from keg carry. More so on the right side. Guess I still favor that side. Right side of lower back felt tender (not pain, muscle soreness). Warmed up as per usual on the AMT. Heart rate got to 156bpm. Easy calf work and then into box touches and band rows with biceps stretch again. Shoulders felt good with the stretch. Hip airplanes went alright but I did lose my balance on a rep or two so kept at it to get good reps. Incline bench to start off the lifting. As it has been the past few sessions, working up to a top set and then doing down sets. This time, the goal being doubles. I took bigger jumps and I wasn’t sure if I should go for 129kgs or 134kgs. I overestimated my abilities and went for 134kgs. I got the reps but they weren’t of the quality I was aiming for this time. Butt came up on the first rep and was really up for the second rep (couldn’t fail now, in too deep haha). Second set with the reduced weight was better. No issues on that. I went up more than suggested with the pause benches as it was easier to just drop things down to two plates a side. Pretty good, just slowed down on the last rep to lockout. Chest supported rows with static holds after that. Back was better this time around and I had to make up for it so I went with the weight I was supposed to do last time. Got easier as I did the reps. Not sure why it is with all the holds. You’d think it would get tougher. Circus dumbbell after that. This exercise is a time vampire haha. Same as last time working up in singles with the push press pause and hold method until I got to the working weight to use my competition style. Goal being to do AMAP in 60 seconds with my stronger side with a set percent of my 1rm (so far) and then match it with the lagging side with no time limit. Got up more weight on the paused push press version for a 9kgs increase since I started on both sides. I feel good for more. I feel these have really helped me. Then came the competition style set. Burping uncontrollably from being nervous. I was worried that I’d have issues with breathing due to the cold/allergies. Surprised myself by doing better this time. Pacing was better and I had no missed reps. 4.5kgs and an extra rep. Got six reps in 30 seconds and then paced the other two over remaining time. So very pleased with that. Not so easy on the lagging side. I had no time limit but it was tough. I got five and missed a sixth within 60 seconds. Took about two more minutes to get those remaining two. I notice how much more I have to grip with that side to control compared to my stronger side. Thumb gets hit hard. I had two misses to go with the eight reps. Right biceps was definitely tight and feeling the strain on that set. Just tried to get my breath and composure and get feeling into my hand as quickly as I could to continue the effort. That was exhausting haha. Another late night and home to eat recovery burritos, stretch and sleep.

Craig_PfistererIcon...30-06-2017 @ 23:16 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
June 29, 2017 – Week 5, Day 2

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx25

MBx25/10 seconds

Squat Therapy (16” Box)
BWx25

BWx25

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

16” Front Box Squats
20.5x10
43x5
61x3
84x3
102x2
125x1
143x3

Crunches
BWx50

Band Side Bends
ABx35/35

Stretching

Comments: Even though this workout is less intense, I still feel a bit beat coming into it from the other sessions. Started out with the AMT. Heart rate started at 146bpm but shot up to 152bpm within 5 seconds. May have been the unit I was using. Calf raises were easy. Right calf felt tight. Regular box touches were good, no issues there. Band rows felt great, noticed my shoulders were sore and tight.. Shoulders were definitely tight on the biceps stretches. Squat therapy was ok, had aches in my knees that went away around halfway into it. Second run through of box touches (sumo style), band rows and biceps stretch was good too. Hip airplanes were tough on my injured side. Kept losing balance so I ended up doing a few more than written. No issues with the other side. Then on to the weights. Only weighted exercise for the session was front box squats again. Same as last time with plan being to do a top set of 1-3 reps depending on how I felt. Only change being the top set weight changing. Aiming for three plates. I wanted to get used to the belts more this time as I wanted to make sure I got more practice with bracing and breathing, especially with the allergies and cold. So put on rehband belt for the double and then hard belt for the single. Another thing I was trying to do was control my descent better. Need to be box squats, not box plops. For the top set, I worked on get my shoulders ready for racking the bar (back still tight from circus dumbbell). Breathing was an issue. I felt I moved better with this time but I couldn’t get my breath, even when I took in air at the top of each rep. I feel like I got pitched forward a little on the second rep. I was essentially flying blind on that last rep as my vision narrowed. I had to guess I was back in the j-hooks as I was very close to passing out. Got to be careful and have spotters next time (though I did have the rack pins). This feeling hasn’t really been an issue for many years. Need to work on this more. Jumped right into crunches for a high rep set. Easy. I forgot my band for sidebends so I had to wait until I got home to do those. Also easy. Stretched and ate.

Craig_PfistererIcon...02-07-2017 @ 02:15 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
July 1, 2017 – Week 5, Day 3

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

Car Deadlift Apparatus Deadlifts (12” pick height, front bar)
emptyx5
79 tirex1
79 tire + 32x1
193 tirex1
193 tire + 32x1
295 tirex1
374 tirex1
374 tire + 41x1
Added Straps
374 tire + 81.5x3

Sandbag Rows
50x5
81.5x5
100x5

Sandbag Load to Height (1.47m)
113x10

Sandbag Bearhug Carry
113x86.51m PR+7.9m
113x86.51m

Uphill Vehicle Push
1,221.5kgs + 1 person + 91kgs in trunkx59.74m in 60 seconds

Stretching
Comments: SI area aching a little and some tenderness. Noticed it after the last workout. Very minor but I got to keep an eye on it. Out to train at Lancaster again. Not expecting to rain until the afternoon. Slept in a bit. While not beastly hot, I underestimated how humid it was. Warmed up on the concept rower. Pretty much drenched in sweat already by this point. Calf work after that. Felt tight but still good. Then into box touches, band rows and biceps stretch. Hip airplanes were alright. Had balance issues with injured side on one rep. Then the event work, starting with car deadlift. Goal for the workout being to work up in singles to a top set of three for something that I could make look powerful and comfortable. Just like last week but less reps and aim for heavier. Same warm-ups as last time up until I got to the second tire with weights. Instead of putting the smallest tire on top, I went up to the next size tire. I wanted more weight on the back end of the frame as there is a limit to the pins and I might as well get used to the bigger tires. Then added the smallest tire on top of that one. Once I got to that point, I took a big plate jump. Some aches in SI area and that lift was tougher than I would have liked. Sweat was dripping off my head and I had pools in my glasses. I wanted another pair of plates but that was looking really tough today. I was worried I wouldn’t get it off the ground. “Believer” by Imagine Dragons came on the sound system and I knew that this was going to be the most amped I’d be for this so it was now or never. The first rep was very slow, second felt better and third one was about the same as the first. Had to take a knee after that. Definitely not a comfortable triple. However, I have got rough calculation for weight in hand for this frame so I can figure out weight jumps and increases better next time. This was probably about 239.5kgs in hand. Two weeks ago was about 213kgs. I really didn’t want to do anything else after that with the mugginess. Sandbag rows for sets of fives after that. Only increased the weight for the last two sets. The weights fell off the first set after the fourth rep so I had to stop and put them back on. No issues with the other sets like that. The last set was good but the bag feels so large rowing it. Not that that is an issue for me. With how much I was sweating, I was truly dreading doing the sandbag loads to bar. I’ve done this exercise for a set of ten with this weight for three workouts already and even though I get better each time, I still dread it. I was worried it would slip and I’d miss reps and so on. None of that happened and this was the best I’ve done on it. Very casual with my pace, no rushing and I got the reps in about 30 seconds faster than last time I did it. More sandbag with the torturous max distance bearhug style carries. Two sets, trying to match distance of the first after a rest. I haven’t failed on that so far. Definitely a psychological thing having that set goal after the first run into the unknown. But I was feeling beat and the humidity and sweat made me doubtful I’d go very far today. I got better than I thought I would. I knew I had gone further than last time when I saw the intent in the parking lot from when I dropped the keg last week. I was even sweatier on the second run and I had to just keeping crushing it. For some reason, David Bowie’s “Moonage Daydream” was playing in my head during this run. End result was a good bit further than last time. Then the last thing for the week being the car push. Got the kinks out of it this time as I had someone timing and I got a harder course. I was worried that it would be too tough and I wouldn’t be able to get it moving. But it was just right; really tough to start and got harder at the end. Shorter distance but it was uphill the whole way with a steeper incline than I have at home. I had a little extra work after this as I parked my car in the lot and realized I had the 45kgs plates in the trunk so I had to carry those back to the gym. Stretched and then drove home to rest and decompress.

BillytheoldIcon...02-07-2017 @ 05:27 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Your bear hug sandbag carry is sick. I was screaming in my head throw it in the bed of the black truck with the gate down as I felt like I was running beside you. That deadlift apparatus is cool but looks like a pain to load. Tommarrow my sandbag day knowing in my head how hard you worked at it. I deadlifted yesterday. Middle back cramping from sandbag like you said was happening to you! What do you think about t bar shrugs?
Craig_PfistererIcon...02-07-2017 @ 16:37 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Billytheold said:Your bear hug sandbag carry is sick. I was screaming in my head throw it in the bed of the black truck with the gate down as I felt like I was running beside you. That deadlift apparatus is cool but looks like a pain to load. Tommarrow my sandbag day knowing in my head how hard you worked at it. I deadlifted yesterday. Middle back cramping from sandbag like you said was happening to you! What do you think about t bar shrugs?
I wish I could've just thrown that stupid bag haha. I don't know if you heard the cars honking on the second run. Someone driving stopped to see what I was doing and caused a back-up in traffic and people kept honking at him. Deadlift thing isn't too bad now that I know how the weights distribute on it. Weight on the frame is 33% and weight on the pins is 81%. Empty frame was weighted at 110lbs/50kgs in hand. Car weight is 35% with the pivot point. Good to know for in the future for programing. The soreness and cramping seems to go away after 2-3 weeks of getting used to the new workload demands. With shrugs, you talking about t-bar as in the rows or t-bar as in trap bar? I think both are good but with all the back stuff I'm doing (event work, rows) it would be too much. Probably something for off season, start of a training cycle type stuff.
Craig_PfistererIcon...04-07-2017 @ 18:18 
Member 1513, 2139 posts
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
July 3, 2017 – Week 6, Day 1

5 Minutes Percor AMT

Leaning Calf Raises
BWx15

BWx15/15

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx15

MBx25/10 seconds

BWx7/7

12” Log Presses
Viper Presses (Dumbbells)
4.5’sx10
9’sx5
13.5’sx5
18’sx5
Viper Press + Push Presses (Log)
45x3+2
Viper Presses
54.5x1
63.5x1
72.5x1
81.5x1
91x1
100x1
109x1
118x1 PR+2.5kgs

Chest Supported Rows
50x10
81.5x5
104x5
127x5
149.5x5
172x5
155x5

Dead Floor Presses
20.5x10
45x2
68x2
91x2
113x2
136x2
159x2
143x2
Close Grip (2 Second Pauses)
125x5

Stretching

Comments: Had to do this workout early this week with the holiday closing everything. Aches in SI area still there. A bit concerning that it has flared up again. Though flare up not like in the past. Just more of noticing some aches and tenderness. Trying to do massage to help with recovery. Warmed up on the AMT. Heart rate got up to 158bpm this time but dropped to 151bpm. Maybe the machine not sensing right. I felt good though. Calf raise work after that. An older woman stopped as I was doing them and said that it looked just like an exercise she does in the shower every morning (hey, if I had to have that image put in my head, everyone else is now too). Then on to box touches, band rows and biceps stretch. Box touches I didn’t feel aches the first round but I did a little on the second round. Rows were easy, stretch felt good on the shoulders. Hip airplanes were ok. I lost balance on one rep on my strong side this time. I was trying out using a different focus point and it seems to work well for the injured side. Then the lifting. Log press as it has been. Same warm-ups as last time but going to viper presses for the singles. Going up 9kgs a set aiming 1rm. I figured that 118kgs would be it for the day going into this one which would be a small PR. Knees ached on the first set with the log but no issues after that. Viper pressing was tough but felt better with the hard belt. 118kgs was a grinder of a lift to lockout. The clean portion felt quite easy so that is good. Keeping an eye on the SI joint stuff as well. Chest supported rows after that. Light warm-up and then big jumps of sets of fives to a top set. Not bad. Felt good with the lighter weights. Didn’t feel that tough until the second to last set from the top set for the day. Really focusing on keeping my lower back and midsection tight. Even though this exercise hasn’t been an issue since I started doing it with control it didn’t cause a relapse in pain about a year ago. Someone started setting up in the power rack so I took a longer break for the last set. Tough but not at my limit yet. Same as last time, 10% off that one for one more set of five. Then I ended up waiting the longest I’ve had to between exercises to use the power rack. I was essentially screaming in my head for the dude to leave. Down time and cooling off had me thinking about my injured area. Didn’t want to be thinking about it. I’d have been more tolerant if they were using a decent weight or did stuff needing a power rack the whole time. Bad BO too that stayed after he left too. So I had to use some rage and rewarm up with lighter weights on the dead floor presses. Doubles this time. I went a little heavier than I was thinking beforehand (I was going to go for a double with my max from two cycles before). A bit tougher to get the weight started on the first rep but went well the second rep. The drop to the down set with 90% was the best it has been (usually I end up false starting that first rep). The last set for reps with the close grip and pauses, I went up more to make the drop easier to switch in as I was trying to move as I was about an hour behind schedule due to the wait. I pressed the first rep slightly off the pins and held it for a pause before starting the lift as I was only able to do pauses on the four remaining reps of the set when I was doing it previously. Made it interesting. Home to stretch and eat. Applied some lidocaine to my back and took some ibuprofen to see if that helped speed up relief in the area.

12345678910 ... ... 8889909192939495969798

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsAdventure Time!
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions