REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 260 guests
You are here: HomeForumStetec → View All Posts

View All Posts: Stetec

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

» A few DO'S and DON'Ts I've learned following the Dumfries Novice Comp. (Go to post)02-10-2008 @ 21:57 
Gonna give this a go in the wifes shell tonight, any black eyes received, you guys will be held accountable...
» Sugdens Strongest Man 2009 (Go to post)01-10-2008 @ 21:56 
So how would the scoring work? With the stones, does one rep with the big one beat 10 with the littler one? I think yoke and farmers would need to be lighter for novices. Because the other events have varying weights so you match individual ability?
» A few DO'S and DON'Ts I've learned following the Dumfries Novice Comp. (Go to post)01-10-2008 @ 16:14 
Can't believe I missed those ones out. Too much blood, not enough alchohol.
» A few DO'S and DON'Ts I've learned following the Dumfries Novice Comp. (Go to post)01-10-2008 @ 07:25 
DO: Wear a belt that fits and fastens up. I didn't and nearly fell over it when it fell down while dragging a chain. HAVE PROPERLY FITTING EQUIPMENT!
» A few DO'S and DON'Ts I've learned following the Dumfries Novice Comp. (Go to post)01-10-2008 @ 07:23 
Another DON'T: Don't where gloves in the gym. I do or did like a pansy and as a result, spent most of the at the comp feeling like the skin was being ripped from my hands as they were too soft. NO GLOVES WHILE TRAINNG!

DO: Make a whole load of noise. While training and competing. If you ain't shouting like a banshee with vains in your heed popping oot, eyes bulging etc, you ain't trying hard enough. MAKE NOISE, DON'T BE SCARED TO LOOK LIKE A PILLOCK!

DON'T: Tear a bicep trying too hard. NO TORN MUSCLES! Work on flexabliy to stay injury free.

That's it for now...
» Sugdens Strongest Man 2009 (Go to post)30-09-2008 @ 21:41 
Post Edited: 01.10.2008 @ 07:15 AM by Stetec
Thanks man, lets see what everyone else thinks.
» A few DO'S and DON'Ts I've learned following the Dumfries Novice Comp. (Go to post)30-09-2008 @ 21:35 
Post Edited: 30.09.2008 @ 21:39 PM by Stetec
Just a few thoughts while they are in my mind, a few valuable leasons learned by me, just want you guy's thoughts on them/take the piss/told you so's etc haha!

DO: Take advice from guys on here and who have more experience than you. I didn't ( mostly ) and did cack ( mostly ) as a result! See below. LISTEN TO ADVICE GIVEN!!

DON'T: Train like an idiot all week leading up the comp despite advice from others to rest and carb up etc. Like an ejit I trained all bloody week, even the day before the comp. Bravado ( idiocy ). As a result I fatigued earlier than I would have done had I rested. REST WEEK BEFORE COMP!!

DO: Train to have geet strong legs if you are contemplating strongman. I've trained legs maybe 3 times in my life and thought that decent upper body strength would see me through. It didn't. As a result, events such as the car carry and conans were a bloody nightmare. No crap excuses like kicking a stone on the conans, it wouldn't have made any difference, I felt as soon as I lifted it that my legs weren't strong enough for the event. As a result it went straight back down again. BUILD STRONG LEGS!!

DON'T: Jump straight in pressing the heaviest logs just because your a big headed egotistical pillock and go into the gym and start pressing 100k behind your neck before the event has even started just because you can. I did and when it came to log pressing time I already had lactic acid in the shoulders and didn't do as well as I should have. WARM UP GENTLY AND CONSERVE ENERGY!!

DO: Work on your cardio. Pulling a 19 tonne truck and going flat out for 90 seconds with all of the muscles in your body is a recipe for a bloody heart attack. I know it seems strongman is all about big bursts of strength in a short time. It ain't. A lesson to be learned. CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!!

DON'T: Drink fizzyish energy drinks on the day. I did and felt gassy and burpy most of the time. Water is the way to go I reckon. NO FIZZY DRINKS!!

DO: Train events. I mistakingly thought that the exercises in the gym to build strength should translate easily to the strongman stuff. It doesn't. If you don't practice the events, you are going to let yourself down when everything feels alien to you. TRAIN EVENTS!!

There's probably loads more, sorry to go on and on, just I'm at work and bored haha!

For the time being, till christmas at least, I've changed my training completely. No more heavy weights till the new year.

Low weights, high reps, loads of cardio, ab training and core strength and general all round conditioning.

Then in the new year, keep the cardio going, up the weights and train events.

Look forward to all comments folks!
» Sugdens Strongest Man 2009 (Go to post)30-09-2008 @ 21:07 
Just my personal thoughts on the matter: I reckon it would be a good idea to have 2 groups and thus 2 weights per event.
I know it's an informal thing really and just for the crack, but there is a wide range of experiences and abilities here and if only one weight was used it would be either too heavy for some or too light for others.
So may be worth getting anyone interested to put themselves realistically in either catagory: Novice or open.
No need for 3 different weights. That makes things needlessly complicated.
There's plenty of time yet, so why not wait to see how many show an interest and put their names down and then guage wether it's worth having seperate classes.
2 classes should be easy to manage and score. You're either in one or the other.
And bearing in mind it's a practice event leading up to comp season, it makes sense for folk to practice in there proposed group for the season.
And if they feel like having ago at the other weights after they've done their own just to see what it's like then so be it, time permitting. And with only 5 events that should be do-able.

Anyway, just my thoughts.....
» Sugdens Strongest Man 2009 (Go to post)30-09-2008 @ 11:32 
Just read back and apparently Cleggy's is the venue? Where is that?
» Sugdens Strongest Man 2009 (Go to post)30-09-2008 @ 11:31 
I might be up for this, any chance of a truck pull, only thing I'm good at if the Dumfries comp is anything to go by haha! Any ideas on a location? Or was that mentioned earlier? I'll go back and read...
» No longer fat but still a gay, Scottish all round cunt (Go to post)25-09-2008 @ 02:11 
Looking awesomely strong Tony mate, well done, keep it going. Be careful with those dips though if you've got shoulder probs, I know they play havooc with mine.
» Dumfries comp results (Go to post)15-09-2008 @ 18:55 
Aye cracking day, really enjoyed it, I've no idea how it went that far either man, from where I was, heed down and making loads of noise it didn't feel like it was moving!
» Dumfries comp results (Go to post)15-09-2008 @ 16:12 
Did anyone by any chance get any video of me doing the truck pull as I need to show it to people who think Im talking crap lol!!
» ste nick kev trainin for novice scottish strongman (Go to post)14-09-2008 @ 21:59 
Young Cammy was fantastic for a lad of his age, one to watch for the future for sure, very impressive.
» ste nick kev trainin for novice scottish strongman (Go to post)14-09-2008 @ 19:29 
Hey mate, yeah that was me. Overal pretty good, just let down in a few areas down to technique having never down the events really. Back and wrist probs aside I had a cracking day as did everyone else as far as i can tell, personally it was just something I wanted to have a stab at and see how close or far I was from the pace needed to do it again in the future.

Quick assessment of how I did:

Logpress:

I did ok, not as good as I expected but not bad, I got fourth I think. Or third. Or fifth. Can't remember lol! The scoring system was different to what we were expecting. There were bonus points for getting all logs in sequence, but as it turned out in hind sight it would have been easier and higher scoring to rep out on one of the lighter logs than go for the heavy one.

Conans wheel:

Prat fall haha! Picked it up, heavy as fook, started moving and kicked a rock and dropped it! Would have dropped it quick anyway I think as it was damn heavy for my skinny legs.

Medally:

Cross was easy, chain drag was easy expect as I was dragging, my belt started to fall off so i was trying to hold that on with one hand and drag with the other, not a good idea! Picked the sack up and felt my back crack so dropped it. Couldnt pick it back up so kinda chucked it a foot a couple of times.

Car carry:

Heavier than it looked but not too bad. Got it going, felt comfortable so I started to run with it which caused me to wobble and drop it! Picked it up again and finished, but lost time by dropping it doh.

Deadlift hold:

Went first due to sucking on the medally, did ok, got 35 seconds or summit so not bad, coulda maybe gone a bit further if I had a target to aim for but going first causes that prob.

Truck pull:

Awesome! Didn't expect to even move it as stronger guys than me couldn't even get it moving and I ended up second yeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa!!! Hard work though, but I kept going and making loads of noise for 90 seconds so very happy.

Atlas stones:

Well, I got 3 so happy with that as I'd never done them.

Overall very happy with the day, just nursing my aching body today!

12345678910 ... ... 8788899091929394959697

You are here: HomeForumStetec → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions