REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 194 guests
You are here: HomeForumCuddles → View All Posts

View All Posts: Cuddles

12345678910 ... ... 825826827828829830831832833834835

» Suppliments/Good foods (Go to post)27-09-2006 @ 16:35 
With regards to the caffeine, my tolerance is already very high, I drink 5-6 strong cups of coffee most days. Not for the caffeine, but because I love coffee.

A few other nice stimulants that I have used in the past:

- ephedrine. The s**t when it comes to stimulants imo. Best value for money, and best buzz per dose than anything else ive tried.

- l-tyrosine. Really good stuff, you need to experiment with the dose or it'll wipe you out. Works well with caffeine and something sugary.

Apart from that, Ive used very little suppliments over the last few months. Protein, creatine (very rarely), a multi and some vit C.
» Sugden Barbell Dubious PBs Committee (Go to post)27-09-2006 @ 16:30 
Incidentally, Bill Starr has recommended in the past to pick a new exercise or rep regime and go for a PB when you arent feeling great. According to him, hitting new pb's, even rather meaningless ones, is good for motivation, enthusiasm, and as he points out, they add up over time.

I have a better proposition. What I classify as a PB for me, is a PB. What you classify as a PB for you, is a PB. You can cheat all you like, but you're only going to be cheating yourself.

I dont see how nailing 5 reps with a weight you havent done 5 reps with before isnt a PB. If my best deadlift for 5 reps is 200, and I manage to do 205 for 5, that's a PB. The key word imo is 'personal'. They are personal bests, not anyone elses, theyre yours. So, seeing as theyre my bests, I think i'll decide what is and what isnt a PB.
» Fu-Fu's Log (Go to post)22-09-2006 @ 15:46 
Well I guess its time I started posting my log here, i've been pretty lazy keeping track of everything recently, so hopefully this'll give me the kick up the arse that I need.

Benching and Lat work later on tonight....
» Suppliments/Good foods (Go to post)22-09-2006 @ 15:44 
I thought we should have a thread where people could share their experiences with suppliments and/or foods that they feel add something useful to their nutrition (seeds, oils, nuts etc).

For me, its mostly a good protein powder, creatine, and some vitamins. But I know that Joni for example takes on board a lot of other stuff, not exactly suppliments but foods that add something worth having.

So, what do you use? and why? What really hasnt added much?
» Leg Press in Powerlifting Discussion (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 17:10 
I'd be interested to know (genuinely) where you got the evidence that leg-press is bad for your back? I have seen much evidence suggesting that the leg-press performed incorrectly can be, but not when performed correctly. If this is the case, then it is the same as any of the other exercises mentioned in this thread, squats, deads, stepups, split squats, etc, performed incorrectly, they are all bad for the back.

Haris, you also said earlier that this is a science, so we hypothesise, experiment, and conclude etc. If Joe hypothesised that doing leg-press would build her squat and deadlift, so she leg pressed, and got stronger in the leg-press and the squat and the deadlift, would you still argue that she shouldnt be leg-pressing? Isnt she then following the same scientific model that you yourself espouse?
» Leg Press in Powerlifting Discussion (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 16:26 
I think having exercises that work the quads without taxing the lower back are essential to get enough volume. The lower back, IMO, is easily overworked, and having the option to work some of the movers in both the squat and deadlift without overtaxing the lower back is an option worth having. I'd never suggest using a leg press instead of a squat or a deadlift, but as an accessory to them, I think they can have value.

Without wishing to be pedantic, I used the word strongmen, not strongman. There is quite a difference in meaning. I was referring to the group of people who together encompass a lot of the best deadlifters in the world, not the sport itself.
» Leg Press in Powerlifting Discussion (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 16:08 
Originally posted by Emperor_Naseem...
I am making no reference to strongman events in this discussion.

For the record, nor did I. I made reference to strongmen, who incidentlly tend to have fairly good deadlifts eg Benni Magnusson, Svend Karlson, Juoko Ahola (probalby one of the best deadlifters lb for lb ever), Glenn Ross, Zydrunas Savickas, Mark Felix.
» Leg Press in Powerlifting Discussion (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 15:52 
Haris, stop being a c**t. Firstly, delete the word strongman from my post and the point is still EXACTLY the same. Secondly, i'll point out that I was referring to the whole thread as proper discussion, not my post. I was referring to the fact that this was the first real training discussion on the board.

Also, I'm still not sure that you'll find a better exercise than the legpress that strengthens the quads without taxing the lower back? If you know of any, please feel free to post them? I can think of lunges, bulgarian split squats and a few others but neither of those will get you using any meaningful weight, and in my opinion, the carryover to the deadlift and squat will be far less than with legpress.
» is it an art or science? (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 12:58 
To discount it as not a science would be a mistake, but I think there is much more to it than that. I tend to think that the solid principles that underpin what we do, ie nutrition, muscle fibre development processes (for both strength and size) are all governed by science.

However, their application is a much more grey area. I tend to think that there is an art to applying the scientific principles. A good coach needs to be aware of the scientific principles that he is applying, but when to apply them, how to apply them, and how much to apply can come down to art over science. Lots of coaches work by 'feel' and I find it hard to reconcile 'feel' with 'science'.
» Leg Press in Powerlifting Discussion (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 12:48 
Finally, some proper discussion...

A few points about the leg-press:

- Ive used it successfully to build quad strength for both the deadlift and the squat.

- Everybody that I know who has done them consistently has gained quad strength for both the deadlift and the squat.

- Some of the best powerlifters/strongman around rate the leg-press as a good assistance exercise becuase it has a number of advantages, it doesnt faituge the lower back, it doesnt fatigue the abs, the skill level required is low so that its perfectly feasible to work hard at leg-press when you're already tired, something I certainly wouldnt recommend for squats/deadlifts/goodmornings/sldls, the risk of injury is just too great.

To discount the leg-press would be a mistake, if you dont like it/dont get much out of it, then fine, but lots of people do, and lots of very good lifters do. Faz for example, who would most likely be pound for pound the best lifter here raves about the leg-press for both squats and deadlifts. He has used them to great success, is he wrong? of course not, but your mileage may vary.
» Happy Birthday Fu Fu (Go to post)19-09-2006 @ 12:11 
Cheers mofos!
» fridays session - 4pm? (Go to post)14-09-2006 @ 17:48 
Doubt i'll be back in time matey.
» Sugden Bicep Blast (Go to post)14-09-2006 @ 17:47 
Rob, I think you're confused. Thats his downhill speed. And yes, you're right, it'd be quicker if he just rolled.Wink
» Operation 101 (Go to post)14-09-2006 @ 17:44 
Careful Rob, he'll entice you into his car with promises of 'Mikhael' 'Big Deadlift' and 'M&S Simply Food' only to take you to Sam's Cafe and......well....you know...
» Honorary Members (Go to post)14-09-2006 @ 17:41 
Thats exactly what Sparrow said. Im not convinced.

12345678910 ... ... 825826827828829830831832833834835

You are here: HomeForumCuddles → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions