Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsHi all.

Hi all.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

sam1222
Hi all, i'm sam. i'm new to the site and wanted to introduce myself and start a training journal. i was training for strongman comps a few years ago but never quite got to competition level, as i feel i was lacking the support and motivation i would have got from a decent gym, and i ended up drifting back to mostly doing boxing training. but ive recently been talking to one of the lads on ESB boxing forum and he's offered to put me in touch with a few strongman training orientated gyms near where i live and also suggested i join this site too, so i've decided to have another crack at it. its re-sparked my interest. i'm going to start the begginner programme from this site asap, but caught a good body shot on sunday resulting in sore ribs so i'll be training fairly light for the first couple of sessions. as soon as i get going proper i'll start posting my results. any advice would be well appreciated.
cheers lads
Kenny_C
il be the first to welcome you Sam, not going to be rude considering your a boxer Grin
MrSmall
Alright sam? Grin Welcome!
And a fine record he has too, Kenny!
Where abouts are you based mate?
sam1222
Kenny_C said:
il be the first to welcome you Sam, not going to be rude considering your a boxer Grin

Cheers mate Grin
sam1222
MrSmall said:
Alright sam? Grin Welcome!
And a fine record he has too, Kenny!

Cheers mate Grin how ya doing?
sam1222
Tony said:
Where abouts are you based mate?

In west yorkshire mate, huddersfield.
Welcome to the site mate.
If you find any Powerlifting / strongman type gyms in the Huddersfield / Halifax area please let me know. I live in Ripponden and train at JJB Halifax but do my Deads elsewhere with an Oly lifter who has access to some great Eliko weights and bars etc, but end up training on my own most of the time.
Would be good to train with others who want to squat bench and deadlift.
Cheers
Mike
sam1222
mikeyp said:
Welcome to the site mate.
If you find any Powerlifting / strongman type gyms in the Huddersfield / Halifax area please let me know. I live in Ripponden and train at JJB Halifax but do my Deads elsewhere with an Oly lifter who has access to some great Eliko weights and bars etc, but end up training on my own most of the time.
Would be good to train with others who want to squat bench and deadlift.
Cheers
Mike

Cheers mate, and yep will do.
sam1222 said:
I'm sam, i introduced myself here a few weeks ago but having been resting an injury so haven't been training for the last month so couldnt post on my training journal. i started training again on sunday, just a 3 mile run follwed by pull-ups and circuit training, but worked with weights today and on tuesday.

Tuesday. shoulders & arms.

Standing barbell press: 20 reps with 15kg bar followed by 10 sets of 10 @ 30kg, t

Military Press: 10 reps @ 40kg, 10 @ 50kg, 5 at 55kg, 5 @ 60kg then 4 sets of
15 to finish @ 30kg.

DB Military Press: 25kg DBs, 4 sets of 15.

Barbell Curls: 10 sets of 10 @ 30kg
DB curls: 10 sets of 10 with 15 kg DBs
Concentrate Curls: 10 sets of 10 (each arm) with 15kg DBs

To finish i did 2 mins flat out on each excercise with a light weight, then did 20 mins of circuit training, 30 secs per excercise, i.e, burpees, squats, tuck jumps, pull-ups, press-ups, sit-ups, squat thrusts etc. then walked my dog the 2 miles home Grin

yesterday i did a 3 mile run followed by circuit training, then in the afternoon my usual boxing training.

Today i worked out with weights again.

Bench Press: 10 reps with 15kg bar followed by 10 sets of 10 reps @ 30kg
Then, 10 reps @ 40kg, 10 @ 50kg, 10 @ 60kg, 10 @ 70kg, 10 @ 75kg,
And 5 @ 80kg, 5 @ 85kg and 5 @ 90kg. finished with 4 sets of 15 @
30kg.

Barbell Rows: 4 sets of 15 @ 60kg

DB Rows: 4 sets of 15 with 25kg dumbells.
Finished with 3 sets of 10 pull-ups (did them slow, but was pretty f**ked by then!)

I know my lifts are not gonna impress many of you as i know there are some big lifters on this site, but i'm serious about wanting to cross over from boxing training to powerlifting/strongman training, and would appreciate any advice, especially on the right amount of cardio-to-weight training ratio i should be doing, as i will overdo the cardio if i'm not careful. i have trouble gaining muscle size and remaining toned. should i also train with light weights on my cardio days? as i say, any advice will be appreciated, cheers.
welcome aboard sam
Post Edited: 28.08.2009 @ 09:21 AM by JC
welcome to the site mate

oh and f**k your lifts being good enough for competition. Choose a novice comp, train for it and just have a bash - you will enjoy it I guarantee it!
sam1222
Thing said:
welcome aboard sam

Cheers mate.
sam1222
JC said:
welcome to the site mate

oh and f**k your lifts being good enough for competition. Choose a novice comp, train for it and just have a bash - you will enjoy it I guarantee it!

Cheers mate.

And thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go along and watch the comp in ashton in september, and find a good gym close to me (huddersfield) then take it from there.
Welcome to the site bro, as the others have elluded to; don't get caught up in numbers to much, focus on enjoying yourself and getting stronger and it will all come together.

One day you will bench 17kg like me!

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsHi all.
Return to top View Desktop Site