REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 3 members and 247 guests
You are here: HomeForumOfficialIFC → View All Posts

View All Posts: OfficialIFC

» Introducing the IFC - UK Fitness Championships (Go to post)10-09-2015 @ 13:19 
Klokov is a freak of nature. I think he is an amazing athlete and someone I totally admire, you hit the nail on the head that he looks amazing and has the performance to put anyone to shame! However how many people can do what he does???

I do appreciate your feedback though. Come along and watch the next show if you can make it.

Fazc said:Think about it like, why do people like Klokov? It's because he can do everything, and look like a boss in doing it. No one's going to bat an eye lid if he decides to do 120kg squats for 1 minute.

I know where you're trying to go with this, and I think you can capture what people want perfectly. People want to see strong guys who look great. It doesn't always matter if he's not the absolute strongest guy, as long as he is genuinely strong and looks good. But I think you're handicapping yourself tremendously with how get it can go due to the choice of events. If you remove the bodyweight multipliers, the timed stuff and actually test strength it'll be far better.

People want to see a guy who can do everything and look good doing it. This won't test that.
» Introducing the IFC - UK Fitness Championships (Go to post)10-09-2015 @ 13:08 
How many bodybuilders do you know that can bench press their bodyweight for a minute and can push press their bodyweight for a minute? I can tell you we have done this in several BB gyms and the highest anyone scored was 38 reps on the squat and that was NOT by a bodybuilder. When the bodybuilders tried the bench press at bodyweight the highest they scored was 20 reps and this was buy someone who can easily bench more than his bodyweight. Try it and see how you get on. Its not as easy as you think.

Just because they rep 8-12 does not mean they are moving the same weight as you would be for 5 reps, clearly doing 5 reps will increase strength and you know BB's train mainly for hypertrophy not strength.

slimsim said:
I think we'll have to agree to disagree that the advantage doesn't lie with the BBer's then. As a currently competing weightlifter, I rarely do anything over 5-reps so someone regularly doing 8-12 reps, often for multiple sets, would have a distinct advantage over me. I think this would be similar for most of the powerlifters who post on here as well. A long time ago (8+ years) I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and the majority of my training has been in bodybuilding gyms so I can't say I've ever seen a pattern which suggests bodybuilders would fatigue quickly past the 30-second mark. Of course, this is just my experience though.
In addition to that, they (BBer's) obviously have the advantage in the physique section of the comp so the advantage HAS to lie with the non-bodybuilders in the other sections which make up 5the other 0% of the overall score. The best way of doing this would be working with the advantage of the other competitors ie. higher weights.
Happy
» Introducing the IFC - UK Fitness Championships (Go to post)10-09-2015 @ 13:02 
It actually appeals to a wide range of people, we have cross fit, bodybuilder, mens physique, olympic weightlifter and powerlifter all competing.

Why not come and watch and see what you make of it yourself.

Fazc said:I guess people can't really see who this is relevant to.

All I can think of is perhaps offseason bodybuilders who compete around 80kg and spend the offseason around 90kg or more, or Crossfitters.

I think it's a pretty cool idea myself. It just seems to need some sort of tweaking to play towards more recognisable elements of various sports (somewhat like Crossfit) so at least people can recognise and find relevance in the events. It's the type of idea which looks good on paper I think.

Edit -

To put an idea forward.

Max on the super total, squat, Bench, deadlift, clean and Jerk, snatch, maybe even press

Then do the physique comp.

I'd be able to get behind that. That shows strength, skill and physique.

I think the big issue here is doing whatever for 1 minute just isn't strength. As happens all too often, in trying to do everything you're diluting what you do have.
» Introducing the IFC - UK Fitness Championships (Go to post)10-09-2015 @ 12:39 
Absolutely agree and seeing as this is the 2nd show and still increasing awareness there is plenty of scope to increase the limits going forward and to create an elite division with 1.5 x BW on all events in the future.

I would disagree regarding advantage towards bodybuilders though, you would be surprised how many lack the muscular endurance and tend to fatigue rapidly after 30 seconds. We have done challenges in a few bodybuilding gyms and the big guys ofter struggled the most as they rarely tend to go beyond 8-12 reps with a heavier weight. Also when it comes to push press most people find BW a challenge.

slimsim said:
That's true, it is still a challenge for many people but has a massive bias towards BBer's since the weights aren't heavy enough to make it particularly difficult, especially the squat and deadlift which are extremely easy weights.
On the basis of trying to remove the bias for any one particular group, would it not have been better to maybe use BW% for the exercises eg:
Squat 1.5xBW
Chins BW
Push Press BW
Deadlift 2xBW
This would certainly have provided those who are traditionally more orientated towards strength pursuits an advantage on the weights, somewhat negating the complete advantage the bodybuilders have on the physique element.
» Introducing the IFC - UK Fitness Championships (Go to post)10-09-2015 @ 12:16 
Possibly but how many can push press their BW or do chin ups for a minute, I think if you are a pure powerlifter then you may not think its about pure strength which would be correct, we already have powerlifting events for that, If someone wants to do bodybuilding then there are bodybuilding shows, this is something different which is still a challenge for many people and at the end of the day measuring strength is relative to the individual.

slimsim said:
It might not be easy but then again, it's not exactly a test of strength either. I'd imagine most people on here could squat BW for more than 1-minute so it's more of a race as to who can rep out the fastest.
» Introducing the IFC - UK Fitness Championships (Go to post)10-09-2015 @ 11:50 
If its that easy then why not enter and walk away with £1000? Actually squatting 90kg for 1 min is not as easy as it sounds. Current record is 42 reps in 1 min at 85kg bodyweight.

Killelay said:this sounds stupid. i'm sure any 90kg person who trains, can rep out 90kg squat easily, even if they're shredded physique people. They couldn't rep 180kg squat though probably. this seems like an idea to make physique competitors think they're strong
» Introducing the IFC - UK Fitness Championships (Go to post)25-08-2015 @ 11:53 
The IFC is an independent fitness competition aimed at all strength athletes from Fitness models and Bodybuilders to weightlifters and other sports with the aim of finding the best all round physique coupled with the best performance!

The IFC is dedicated to creating an alternative to fitness and bodybuilding shows, we aim to deliver a fair and transparent competition. A show that blends the best aspects of Bodybuilding and Strongman to create a unique and challenging competition open to everyone regardless of their background.

So many fitness competitors train hard all year round but only get to showcase their physique which is a very subjective opinion not to mention the challenges it brings of trying to nail your condition for show day. We are looking for athletes to present a strong, healthy and toned physique which they can maintain year round and perform to the best of their ability especially when it comes to the events which is near impossible when dehydrated and in extremely low body fat.

The Championships is based around 5 events that are designed to test your overall fitness and athletic ability. The Squat, Chin ups, Bench Press, Push Press and Deadlift. These will make up 50% of your overall score with the physique round making up the other 50%. Each event is based on the competitors bodyweight, ie if you weigh 85kg you must squat 85kg for 1 minute for as many (strict) reps as possible. After everyone has completed the first event the scores are added on to the athletes physique score and we begin the second event.

Transparency and fairness are two of the key values of the IFC so there will be a clear point system in each event with the winner scoring the highest number of reps gaining 10 points for 1st place, 9 points for 2nd etc through to 1 point for 10th place.

The overall winners will receive £1000 in Cash!

The next competition is taking place on November 8th in London, if you have any questions please ask or if you would like to enter please go to www.officialifc.com/entry.php

https://youtu.be/x-pH8s8tKdU
You are here: HomeForumOfficialIFC → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions