REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 205 guests
You are here: HomeForumpaulwinwood → View All Posts

View All Posts: paulwinwood

» Strongman injury survey (Brief summary) (Go to post)05-05-2012 @ 02:18 
drew said:
i imagine pretty much all the tire based injuries stem from too poor a grip for the weight of the tire. i.e. heavy tires with no grip

I wrote a strongman review last year (Paragraph below) about using tyres. I will have to add how these factors could influence injury

"Some practical recommendations have been proposed for the tire flip. Bullock and Aipa (2010) suggested that strength and conditioning coaches should consider the dimensions of the tire, including the height, width and weight when selecting tires for athletes. Taller tires (when standing upright) may be more difficult for a shorter athlete to flip, and a tire with a narrow width may be more difficult for a taller athlete because of limb length and depth requirements (Bullock & Aipa, 2010). Other factors that can contribute to tire flipping difficulty are the density of the rubber, tire tread and hand clearance (Havelka, 2004). In addition, surface type could affect tire flipping through the various frictional coefficients. For example, a greater coefficient of friction may help with the lift of the tire off the ground but reduce the distance the tire travels in the push".
» Strongman injury survey (Brief summary) (Go to post)05-05-2012 @ 02:08 
davycummings said:
Interesting, how did it rank in terms of how often it was trained? Could the injuries be lower becasue people dont train it so often, or do we all just have it it in our minds that it is a bad one for injury when it is not really?
I am certainly reluctant to train it for fear of injury, having seen injuries on it first hand.

The tyre as a training implement was ranked as the 6th (out of the 18 implements listed) most commonly used implement. Top 5 were: Farmers walk bars, steel logs, stones, axles and yoke walk implements.

Tyre flip is an interesting one as it can be performed in different ways i.e. like a bilateral power clean, or going into the split stance using the leg to help lift the tyre. I guess with the weight used in competition the former would be used but is the other more predominantly used in training? The speed of movement may be also be big factor regarding injury to, but thats going to take a while to analyse.

Presses and lifts were the most commonly performed exercises which may explain the high % of shoulder and lower back injuries.

Not sure yet in regard to the type of injury (i.e. acute or chronic) per anatomical site - thats going to take a lot of time to analyse.
» Strongman injury survey (Brief summary) (Go to post)05-05-2012 @ 02:05 
davycummings said:
Interesting, how did it rank in terms of how often it was trained? Could the injuries be lower becasue people dont train it so often, or do we all just have it it in our minds that it is a bad one for injury when it is not really?
I am certainly reluctant to train it for fear of injury, having seen injuries on it first hand.

The tyre as a training implement was ranked as the 6th (out of the 18 implements listed) most commonly used implement. Top 5 were: Farmers walk bars, steel logs, stones, axles and yoke walk implements.

Tyre flip is an interesting one as it can be performed in different ways i.e. like a bilateral power clean, or going into the split stance using the leg to help lift the tyre. I guess with the weight used in competition the former would be used but is the other more predominantly used in training? The speed of movement may be also be big factor regarding injury to. Thats going to take a while to analyse.

Presses and lifts were the most commonly performed exercises which may explain the high % of shoulder and lower back injuries.

Not sure yet in regard to the type of injury (i.e. acute or chronic) per anatomical site - thats going to take a lot of time to analyse.
» Strongman injury survey (Brief summary) (Go to post)03-05-2012 @ 10:01 
Post Edited: 03.05.2012 @ 10:02 AM by paulwinwood
Interestingly, strongman competitors in the survey ranked the tyre flip as the most dangerous strongman event! However only a few injuries were reported as a result of the tyre flip.
» Strongman injury survey (Brief summary) (Go to post)28-04-2012 @ 21:43 
Thanks Guys, I will post the link when the analysis is complete.
The injuries may also be attributed to the fact that presses and lifts are the most commonly performed strongman exercises.
» Strongman injury survey (Brief summary) (Go to post)27-04-2012 @ 23:09 
Post Edited: 27.04.2012 @ 23:09 PM by paulwinwood
Hi Guys,
I just want to say a big thank you for those of you who took part in the strongman injury survey. We had 200 strongman competitors fill it out! I will leave the link active for another 2 weeks for those of you that still wish to take part.

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/822436/Injury-Epidemiology-of-St...

The data analysis will take me a few months to do and collate but there are some distinct patterns so far.

Of the total amount of injuries reported, the four major sites of injury are the Lower back (26%), Shoulder (22%), Bicep (11.2%) and the Knee (9%).

The 4 most common causes of injury were Dead lifts (this includes barbell, axle and car), Overhead presses (this includes barbell, axles and dumbbells), Squats and Stones.

From your comments in regard to your injuries the 3 most common reasons that you attributed your injuries too were; lack of warm up, poor technique and overtraining.

Most injuries occurring during the lifting of heavy loads i.e. 80 to 100% of 1RM
That’s all for now guys. The full results will be put on the SPRINZ website in a few months time http://www.sprinz.aut.ac.nz/areas-of-expertise and I will write a report to be published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

Regards
Paul
You are here: HomeForumpaulwinwood → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions