REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 182 guests
You are here: HomeForumHUGE_GUY → View All Posts

View All Posts: HUGE_GUY

12345678910 ... ... 4445464748495051525354

» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)26-08-2015 @ 09:39 
ChrisMcCarthy said:When did he get the best 20 time?

http://speedendurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MENS-WORL...

Without reaction times.
I was slightly wrong, Bolt to 20m (2.705) is just a tiny fraction out of Maurice Greene (2.698) for the best ever 20m. But his 10m of 1.69 is equal best with a few others. Ben J has also done 1.69 in one race. Bolt can't do this anymore though. He was the perfect sprinter from start to finish, too bad he didn't chase better winds and fast times in 08/09.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)25-08-2015 @ 21:55 
ChrisMcCarthy said:Yeah - you wouldn't pick Bolt if the race was 40 yards. Happy

Back in 2009 he had the best 20m time ever. I wouldnt pick him now though.

Cuddles, yeah there are many athletes (in other sports) like this that are actually slower once they come out of driving. Normally happens when quads are over developed, making the drive phase the favoured position.

When i sprinted last year i was the same for the first 2 months. Top speed at 25m. I worked on more balanced strength and eventually got to about 50m at top speed.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)25-08-2015 @ 12:23 
ChrisMcCarthy said:I believe the 40 yard times in the combines do not include reaction time.

Owens ran a 10.2 hand-timed.

I would be very stupid if i didnt account for reaction. Bolts 40y estimation of 4.20 is without reaction time. The nfl guys really are up there.

My bad, i just saw his olympic final time of 10.3
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)25-08-2015 @ 11:24 
luki said:
I was reading this the other day:
http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_get...
"In 1936, Jesse Owens held the world record in the 100 meters. Had Jesse Owens been racing last year in the world championships of the 100 meters, when Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt finished, Owens would have still had 14 feet to go. That's a lot in sprinter land. To give you a sense of how much it is, I want to share with you a demonstration conceived by sports scientist Ross Tucker. Now picture the stadium last year at the world championships of the 100 meters: thousands of fans waiting with baited breath to see Usain Bolt, the fastest man in history; flashbulbs popping as the nine fastest men in the world coil themselves into their blocks. And I want you to pretend that Jesse Owens is in that race. Now close your eyes for a second and picture the race. Bang! The gun goes off. An American sprinter jumps out to the front. Usain Bolt starts to catch him. Usain Bolt passes him, and as the runners come to the finish, you'll hear a beep as each man crosses the line. (Beeps) That's the entire finish of the race. You can open your eyes now. That first beep was Usain Bolt. That last beep was Jesse Owens. Listen to it again. (Beeps) When you think of it like that, it's not that big a difference, is it? And then consider that Usain Bolt started by propelling himself out of blocks down a specially fabricated carpet designed to allow him to travel as fast as humanly possible. Jesse Owens, on the other hand, ran on cinders, the ash from burnt wood, and that soft surface stole far more energy from his legs as he ran. Rather than blocks, Jesse Owens had a gardening trowel that he had to use to dig holes in the cinders to start from. Biomechanical analysis of the speed of Owens' joints shows that had been running on the same surface as Bolt, he wouldn't have been 14 feet behind, he would have been within one stride. Rather than the last beep, Owens would have been the second beep. Listen to it again. (Beeps) That's the difference track surface technology has made, and it's done it throughout the running world. "
The swimming was interesting too.

Few things to point out. Jesse Owens best 100m time was hand timed at 10.3. Back in the 80's the top coaches would add 0.24 for electric time conversion.

There aren't many good sprinters who run on anything but good tracks, but a 16yo Australian boy who has a best legal time of 10.50 ran a race on grass this year. I cant find the video, but i remember the time was around my PB, 10.68.

Also the NFL 40y dash times are about the same as any top athlete measured on mondo with spikes. Best official electric 40y time is 4.24, Bolt would do 4.20 at his best. I'm not sure what the surface they lay down is, astroturf still? They also don't use sprinting spikes.

Surfaces will help yes, but i don't think its as much as people think judging by my 2 examples here. Spikes? They remake the same spikes every year with different colours and market them as new technology. I've used many kinds of spikes. All pb's are with heavy jump spikes rather than my 'high technology super light' sprint spikes. Even with light trainers my times are only slightly behind.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)22-08-2015 @ 08:51 
Cuddles said:Steve - I think the track issue is an interesting one. I wonder if anyone has done any analysis of track speeds because it's common knowledge that there are 'fast' tracks. I wonder if all tracks are now faster than they were? Not a suggestion, as I have no idea.

Some tracks are faster, but i don't get this as there is a limit to how hard a track is allowed to be. They say Tokyo and Atlanta where a lot of records were set were illegal tracks (harder than allowed) but were taken up very quickly after.

Some places like Faux de fords..or something like that, always gives fast times. So fast that uk athletics do not accept times from this competition as qualifiers (meet organizers fake times?). There are rumors that some USA meets fix the times a little or fake wind readings (flo-jo). The only source i have is a bobsled athlete training at a meet there and he said they moved the timing gate to 99m.

If Bolt chased times in 2009, he could have run a 9.4 on one of these tracks for sure. If it's legit is another story. The Trinidad national championships always has very fast times that cant be reproduced. Maybe the sport is corrupt on more than one level.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)22-08-2015 @ 08:42 
Steve said:
As an athlete what would you say was the reason for the big improvements in running times if 0.2 is a correct estimate by Conte? After all it's not just Moscow where 10.2 was still a good time. In LA 10.2 (10.19 for second & 10.24 for third) was good enough to medal at the Olympics.
In 1988 in the infamous 100 final the times were still nothing like we see today. Christie, a known cheat, eventually came second in a time of 9.97. That might suggest, given Contes estimate of 0.2 that he was around a 10.2 runner naturally.
Even by 2000 Dwain Chambers was managing 4th in the Olympics in a seasons best of 10.08, again suggesting his natural time might have been nearer 10.2.
Steroid use was certainly very widespread in many sports at that stage and much easier to get away with. Have tracks and training really improved that much that we should believe that sub 10 second times are now possible naturally?

I THINK (just my opinion) the biggest difference now is EPO, not just steroids. Gatlin, Blake, Bolt and gay all run 100-200 very comfortably. Gay has even run a one off race under 45 seconds for 400m! Meanwhile our clean sprinters get gassed while doing a few 60s. Apart from Gemili, our 100m guys cant run 200s. The top guys can go to champs and run 3x100m and 3x200m and still run PBs. It's not normal for guys who can generate so much force to have that sort of speed endurance. Carl Lewis vs Ben Johnson for example. Carl had a better top speed and speed maintenance, but was always left for the first 60 and his best 200 is far better than Bens. Now the top guys have best of both. Power to get out super quick, crazy top speeds of 12.2mps, and somehow maintaining it much better.

Dwain said in his book that the drugs he took made him cramp up constantly in big races so he never got any benefit. But his bench went from 140-160 in a few weeks! Then again, he did run a 9.87 in an unimportant race while his Balco buddy ran 9.78 to break the WR. The 0.2 is obviously an estimate, Linford only ran 10.6 as a junior so i would guess he benefits more.

But, drugs or not. If i thought every top sprinter was on something, and anyone under 9.8 i believe has taken something. I still think Bolt could dip under that time without anything. I know of one Russian who takes all sorts and runs 10.65.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)21-08-2015 @ 22:46 
Cuddles said:
I'm trying to work out if you're being deliberately obtuse or my hangover is affecting my ability to communicate simple things.
The teenager who I am talking about, who ran 10.2, without the use of drugs has never 'shown us historically' that he cheats. Hell he hadn't even had any real specific spring training. He played football. What has happened in the past, in his sport, has f**k all to do with him or whether or not his performance was drug induced. in the grand scheme of things it isn't that fast

Gemili? He ran 10.05 with 0.1 wind as a junior, now 9.97 2.0 wind. Gatlin ran 10.08 as a teen. Gemili hasn't improved much, i believe it's because he is clean and he is on the upper limits naturally. Victor Conte estimates 0.2 improvement for men and 0.4 for women who dope. That would take Gemili up there with the likes of Gatlin, Gay, Blake. But still not Bolt.

We also have a very talented young female sprinter who just ran 10.99. 0.4 would take her up there with the likes of Shelly anne Frazer, Flo-Jo and Carmelita Jetter, who all have very suspicious improvements.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)21-08-2015 @ 11:00 
ChrisMcCarthy said:
Probably not, but Kazankina ran 3:52.47 in 1980, so even ignoring the Chinese marks that has been a soft World Record for a good while.

Any soviet/east german women's WR from the 70s or 80s is no soft WR. Mostly untouchable with the amount of steroids these women were on. No out of competition testing, drugs out in less than 2 weeks back then. She even took during the season. She refused to take a test in an international competition and was banned, but already got away with it for so long.

With Bolt, the new IAAF president says the sport needs Bolt to win the worlds for many reasons. Is there any chance he would be given a free pass? He brings in a lot of money for the sport.
April he ran 10.12 and 20.20, over a month later he runs 20.13, another few weeks training and he said he doesn't even know why he ran 20.29. Headwind though, but doesn't affect the 200m as much, and was only fractions ahead of a GB 19yo.

Then he comes out a month later and runs 9.87 on a cold, wet day with a headwind, for him you can double it to 19.74 200m. Bolt went from 10.03 to jogging a 9.69 in 2008, meanwhile on the women's side Shelly Anne Frazer took 2008 gold and went from 11.31 to 10.78! If only the British sprinters could do the same.
» Mo Farah's coach (Go to post)20-08-2015 @ 16:12 
Steve said:
When leaked blood tests show certain countries have far larger numbers of suspicious results, whilst it doesn't prove any individual is guilt surely proves there is a serious problem in the country?

That's what i thought. They gave some data on this that showed about 3% of British athletes tests were suspicious, whereas Russia was 28%, followed close by Ukraine with i think 26%.

What is more likely, 28% of Russians tested had the flu that week? Or the country are dopers? I know from experience they are all dopers. ALL!

And who was the top British female athlete that had 3 suspicious blood results, but hired her lawyers to silence the media from naming her in this scandal? Paula Radcliffe or Kelly Holmes are the most likely.

Did anyone see the Ethiopian break a 22 year old Chinese WR? A week before she breaks her PB by 3 seconds. 8 days later she breaks that time by 4 seconds and broke a WR that nobody believes was even timed correctly. Clean?
» How pre-overtraining feels to you? (Go to post)16-08-2015 @ 09:20 
Luke82 said:
This is interesting stuff.
So someone who has low exercise tolerance needs less work in order to progress (good) but may not make as much progress as others due to being able to handle less volume and therefore having a lower magnitude of adaption (bad)?

I think this is where i went wrong. I used to be able to lift twice a week, do a max clean and press, max triple on squats and improve a lot. Since training my girlfriend. i've been trying to do the same volume with no success whilst she keeps getting stronger. Seems women in general can handle more volume.

AMH, I don't understand this greatly, but this scar tissue build up, is it possible my fibres aren't free to contract as fast due to being constricted? When you said you shouldn't rest, but active recovery, this is where i've been slacking a lot since January. I always did 2 hard days followed by sauna/massage and bike tempos to recover. I haven't done this in a long time, but still doing the 2 hard days.
Also if you don't mind answering, are your muscles supple, or very hard? I thought the most powerful guys were very dense and hard to massage, but some therapists have told me it's not a good thing and that i should feel like 'dough'.
» How pre-overtraining feels to you? (Go to post)14-08-2015 @ 17:57 
AMH_Power said:
Didn't Ilya Ilin take 9 month off lifting then come back outrageous?

I'd bet he had a cycle or 2 to help with that though. I'm not planning to take anything to get me past this slump. It's going to be a long road to getting back i feel.
» How pre-overtraining feels to you? (Go to post)14-08-2015 @ 16:12 
AMH - This makes it sound like i can adapt eventually, and that i should keep training. But all i feel like doing is taking 2 months off and start from scratch.

I was sprinting twice a week on top of lifting heavy twice (80-90%). It usually works for me but i think i finally hit my limits back in January so i should have allowed more recovery. Instead i ignored my body and kept going for months on end until now. I don't feel that bad, but my body just doesn't perform anymore. In the past i could take 4 days rest and be fine.

Examples
Jan - P.clean 175. Pause squat 225. Box squat 300. Strict press 92. 40m sprint 4.73seconds. 16lb Shot overhead throw 19.02m. BW 83
Now - P.clean 150. Pause squat 200. Box squat 260. Strict press 80. 40m sprint 5.03. 16lb shot throw 17.45m. BW a fatter 80

I remember having surgery and having a few months just doing machine weights and i could still do a 150 power clean at a light bw. For me strength=speed. I've gone back into bulking phases but the weight just won't come back. But if i under eat slightly for a week, my measurements shrink fast.
» How pre-overtraining feels to you? (Go to post)14-08-2015 @ 13:04 
Nimble said:
Have you been to the doctor? That would seem like the first thing to do

Not yet, it was only yesterday i really looked into things. I was kidding myself that there was other reasons for my bad performances. Alot.of minor illnesses this year, probably linked.
Gp tomorrow
» How pre-overtraining feels to you? (Go to post)14-08-2015 @ 12:21 
5 year bump!

I thought i could train like world class athletes this year. Starting from October I took an easy part time job and tried to make my life as easy as possible to concentrate on training. It was going very good for the first 3 months

Time skip

I'm in the worst shape i've been in since starting training. I'm losing weight every week even though i'm eating and lifting heavy. My muscles still shrink and i'm getting fatter for the first time ever. Even though i've lost weight, the muscle that i do have just isn't firing anymore so lb for lb i'm weak. I've taken it easy for 1-2 weeks here and there with no improvements. Over training is very real, i just hope i haven't caused myself some real problems (thyroid?).
» box carry over.... (Go to post)05-05-2015 @ 09:37 
Post Edited: 07.05.2015 @ 15:13 PM by HUGE_GUY
Nvm

12345678910 ... ... 4445464748495051525354

You are here: HomeForumHUGE_GUY → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions