Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsTom's training log...

Tom's training log...

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

Fletch said:Havent been on this site in ages since just after i joined i pretty much quit powerlifting lol but recognised your name bud as I've been attempting to become a sprinter since and saw you won BUCS indoor last year, are you not gonna compete this year? Very strong lifts indeed, looks like you may need some technique work on some fo your equipped stuff considering your raw strength mind.

definitely, i'm still really new to equipment but getting there. need to seriously get the straps taken in on my suit as well there's 2-3 inches of air between the straps and my shoulders/traps once i get the bottoms on properly, so it's hard to believe i'm getting as much out of them as I could be.

I will be sprinting this year, just no 60's, wanna see if I can run a decent 100m for a change.
Fletch
Post Edited: 21.01.2010 @ 23:05 PM by Fletch
ahright yeah, if your competing in single ply at your strength i would go for the strongest kit possible (centurian, katana) and have it REALLY tight. (you will notice a big difference with tighter straps) Anyway good luck with the training bud, i might even end up powerlifting in lighter weight class this year if i keep constantly being injured because of sprinting! That sport ruins you! lol
tell me about it, that's why i'm powerlifting through the indoor season, there's no way i can keep up the training for indoor and outdoor sprinting, i've tried enough times to realise I can't do it now lol. At least I can get stronger though! I'm using a centurion and an f6, I will probably try the katana soon, but was warned against it for a first shirt.

I'm wearing a 42 f6 which isn't really small but takes 20 minutes to get it on properly, and then my forearms start to turn blue... so probably tight enough for now!

And the centurion is a 40, but I'd like to try out a 38, takes 30 seconds to get it on and straps up, seemed like a really good fit first time I used it, but I can hit depth with an empty bar now...
Fletch
lol yeah you defintly need a tighter suit, if you haven't got some already, get some suit slippers (tight like things) and get a very tight suit.

Regarding the Katana, it was first shirt i ever used and its not that bad, it did help alot that i was training with andy bolton and the lads though. Having a shirt liek that will make you get the technique right, the f6 will be far more comprimising but at same time weaker.Make sure you have good spotters though if you get it (one on each side, not just a center spot)

p.s Im just wondering tom, how difficult do you think it is to learn sprinting technique, i can do all this powerlifting technique but my sprinting form is so so sooooo terrible! lol. Feel like i'm running out of time to get it right before comps espeically considering i keep getting damn injured!
I'm still clueless on sprint technique. I get told to do all sorts of things, but when I start running it all just resets to whatever is natural. I wish I could help, because then I'd have a clue what to do myself as well. GOOD COACHING (something I haven't had in a long time) is surely the only answer, and I don't know where to find it. It's so difficult to tell whether little changes are making you faster or not, especially while running.

Best advice I can give would be get yourself to the EIS in sheffield, they have a long section of track with electronic timing gates every 10m. I found it useful to work over 30m segmants, both from blocks and with a flying start. Make little adjustments and see for yourself exactly where it helps or slows you down. I spent a lot of time there last year doing this, but at the end of the day if I had a coach to tell me straight off what to do, I might not have got injured killing myself doing endless sprints experimenting with technique...
Fletch
very suprised you don't get any good coaching mate, seems bit unfair considering. Cheers for the idea, il give them a call and find out how much it costs etc, only like 50 mins away, might get some people down with me and maybe a camera.
Felt like s**t today, really bunged up and no sleep, good days benching though

bar x 10

2 board

60kg x 5
100kg x 3

shirt on

140kg x 3
160kg x 1
170kg x F - Bar started going sideways!?
170kg x 1 - not as convincing as I'd have hoped so did it again
170kg x 1 - really good rep, 2 board PB!

Jerk/Push press

really wasn't into this, bicep tendons were sore after benching

bar x 3
40kg x 1
50kg x 1
60kg x 1
80kg x 1
90kg x 1
100kg x 1 - gave up half way through, was just a push press in the end. push press pb though!

Tire Flips - did 3 or 4, really awful though, got one of them right and it was quick, the others were massive battles.
hey tom !! good to see you training hard and going thru the pain of using a bench shirt ! im sure i saw 4 x 20 on each side of that benchpress + 5 or a 10 ?

that tyre is a bas***d at the best of times mate
It's all an illusiiiooonnnn!

the end plates were nothing more than big rubber 10's allowing me a false sense of grandeur! should've seen it when I had 190 on for 3 board press the other week, it looked like about 260kg! If I go for 180 next week I promise I'll do it properly!
really bad nights sleep, bunged up with cold, can't breathe, had to roll over and spit flegm on my wall every 5 seconds...

squats

bar x 5
65kg x 5
115kg x 5
150kg x 5

wraps on

180kg x 3

suit on

200kg x 3
220kg x 4 - felt like 5 was there but didn't attempt

bench press

bar x 6
65kg x 3
100kg x 3

shirt on

135kg x 1
145kg x f - missed groove
145kg x 1 - perfect!

18" deadlift - horrible thick bar

bar x 5
60kg x 3
100kg x 3
140kg x 3
180kg x 1
220kg x 1
260kg x 1
300kg x 1
320kg x 1 - definitely more there
liftings looking good mate Happy
really good day today despite still being ill!

Squat

bar x 5
60kg x 5
100kg x 3
140kg x 3
180kg x 3 - felt really light and FAST. knew i was on for a good day

suit on, wraps on

200kg x 3
220kg x 1
245kg x 1 - piss easy pb! tempted to go for more but then i'll have nothing to do next week

Deadlift

bar x 5
70kg x 3
120kg x 3
170kg x 1
220kg x 1
270kg x 1

suit on

310kg x 1 - PB! usual, fast off floor, absolute war from knees upwards. Max partial deadlift from knees is only 320kg, so this needs work if I want to pull more

Bench press

bar x 5
60kg x 5
100kg x 3

shirt on, 3 board

140kg x 3
160kg x 1
170kg x 1
180kg x 1 - =pb, nice n easy

2 board

160kg x 1

1 board

160kg x 1 - =pb, bit better than last time.
Cracking stuff Tom...you don't half put some work in!Grin
cheers! the work load and amount of lifts over 95% gets mental sometimes but f**k it, what's the worst that can happen...
YESSS! from 83 to 74 on the powerlifting league in one session! Finally over 700kg!

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsTom's training log...
Return to top View Desktop Site