SteveIcon...21-07-2010 @ 14:29 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
JC said:
John is wrong then!
The IPF have strict rules
Squats should meet these strict rules no matter what level of competition
Best way to prepare out athletes for Worlds

Technically John, as head of the IPF Technical Committee, is correct.

Below is Laryy Maile, the USAPL President and IPF's Vice President explaination of squat depth at Internationals

"First, let me explain my understanding of the new squat standard. On paper, the standard appears not to have changed. In reality, it is very different. This likely comes from the people in the IPF who establish the standard and are responsible for you getting your squats passed. Virtually all the IPF referrees in Europe, and many in other countries are old Olympic lifters. In fact, powerlifting is controlled by the weightlifting federations of many countries. The referees who call powerlifting meets also officiate weightlifting meets. For those of you who haven't watched an Olympic lifter do squat cleans (where he or she picks the weight up to the shoulders, squatting under it), they drop down so that their butt almost touches the floor. They are probably 4-8 inches below parallel, depending on their size. If they don't get down that low, they can't get under the weight. That is what the weightlifting coaches see attempt after attempt. Besides that, most of the powerlifters in Eastern Europe are converted Olympic lifters as well, so they still squat that deep. The landmark for a weightlifting referee is seeing you drop well below parallel and to see your hips pivot around your knee, which serves as hinge for your squats. If the pivot and drop are not present, dipping slightly below parallel and/or feeling for the bottom is not going to work. Unfortunately, with the higher standard in America over the past two decades, and all the organizations with high standards, our referees have let the subjective pivot point in the hip take precedence. American referees watch your hips, those from other parts of the world will not."

Those who have lifted in international rarely have problems with depth when they get back. They come home and modify their training to build strength at the bottom of the squat, and devote themselves to technical precision. Watch for them in meets at home. The difference is noticeable. They are the people who NEVER get red lights for depth.

L.J. Maile, Ph.D.
Chair, Coaches Committee

As you say strict refereeing at Nationals is the best way to prepare lifters for International competitions.
tz1127Icon...21-07-2010 @ 14:30 
Member 1419, 2281 posts
SQ 175, BP 105, DL 240
520.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
I was there as a spectator. Because the platform was elevated compared to where most spectators were seated, most of the borderline high squats will "look" deep enough from the front. Personally I think the judging was fair although some mistakes were made. I'm pretty sure I saw a 125 competitor got given whites for his deadlift even when his grip gave in at the top. Also was it me or Dean was getting extremely quick calls (see the vids on youtube) ?
JCIcon...21-07-2010 @ 14:37 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Steve said:
As you say strict refereeing at Nationals is the best way to prepare lifters for International competitions.

WTF! You are not listening...there is no such thing a 'strict' reffing

Squats either adhere to the rules, as printed in the IPF handbook, or they do not. Its as simple as that!
IcepickIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:00 
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
tz1127 said:I was there as a spectator. Because the platform was elevated compared to where most spectators were seated, most of the borderline high squats will "look" deep enough from the front. Personally I think the judging was fair although some mistakes were made. I'm pretty sure I saw a 125 competitor got given whites for his deadlift even when his grip gave in at the top. Also was it me or Dean was getting extremely quick calls (see the vids on youtube) ?

audio on the vids are slightly out of sync.

I lifted and watch some of the lifting afterwards, I thought the calls were fair to be honest, a lot of guys were whining over high or borderline squats. A couple of brilliant lifters were still getting 3 whites because they left no doubt. I was very disappointed to see the referee buckle under pressure from the crowd and GBPF exceutives and started passing 3rd attempts that were similar to the previous failed attempt.
SteveIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:11 
Member 255, 3732 posts
JC said:
Squats either adhere to the rules, as printed in the IPF handbook, or they do not. Its as simple as that!

To rephrase that - refereeing to the same standard/interpretation as will be experienced at International level.

International refs often require more than the rules say - that may be right or wrong but it is a fact. Your squats maybe absolutely perfect according the the IPF rule book but if you don't get white lights from the refs they don't count.

This squat failed on depth 2 to 1 at a Europeans

http://www.the-belmont.co.uk/marian.jpg

It is clearly to depth, but counts for nothing without white lights! You have to be capable of doing much more than the rules require just to be on the safe side
JCIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:18 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Steve said:
Your squats maybe absolutely perfect according the the IPF rule book but if you don't get white lights from the refs they don't count.

I would argue they are reffing in an incorrect manner then

If you dont squat to the rule book guidelines, then waht do you squat too?
cuntosIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:28 
old fat fingers needs to find 10kg
Member 192, 640 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 245
735.0 kgs @ 122.7kgs Eq
IainKendrick said:There need be no benift of the doubt for a lifter. If you watch a squat and it dosn't appear to break parallel then it didn't! Surely if there was doubt then it was not in?

For me the lifter needs to have clearly met the requirments for the lift. No judge can be expected to give a lift if it is a matter of 'mm' in or out.

Having said that (and continuing to use sqaut depth as an example) the refs should not expect a lifter to go excessivly deep. No need to make lifter squat -3" just to satisfy a grump ref? lol

Iain, your view is not really right in my opinion. The best way to ref is to start with a white light in mind and then, if you see something wrong, change it to red. That way, if you're not sure, you will automatically give the lifter the benefit of the doubt. If it's high, then you give them a red. If it's high but you were looking the other way (so you don't know), then you have to give them a white light, cos you didn't see anything wrong! You also have to start paying attention in that case too - lol!
SteveIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:33 
Member 255, 3732 posts
JC said:
I would argue they are reffing in an incorrect manner then
If you dont squat to the rule book guidelines, then waht do you squat too?

I agree completely - unfortunately it doesn't change things and doesn't get you the white lights you deserve. Certainly at International level you need to bear this in mind and be capable of doing more than is required by the rules if you are going to avoid a lot of failed lifts.
RickIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:33 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
JC said:

Unfortunately, JC, that's bulls**t - not just in practice, but in theory. Theory first.

Firstly, depth or not is (obviously) a judgment call; yes, the required standard is clearly laid down, but the individual referee has to make a decision on whether he thinks it meets that standard. Secondly, and crucially, the referee is to give "the benefit of the doubt" to the lifter if he thinks it a close call. How much doubt you allow determines your strictness.

And there is ALWAYS some doubt. Even if we went over to attaching tiny transmitters to the measurement points of each lifter, they only have a finite level of resolution, and there would be arguments over exactly where to attach them. As it is, different angles and perspectives can make the same borderline squat look very very different.

This is exactly the same as, for example, a referee deciding whether a press is OK in a strongman event. The standards are well understood; some lifts are clearly fails and others clearly passes; in the middle ground lies the level of strictness.

In practice, of course, international IPF referees tend to look for more than the rules actually state, just as WPC refs (with identically worded rules, iirc) look for less. I don't personally have a problem with that as long as the standard required is well-known and consistent.

The answer, of course, is to make sure you're WELL in in training. Judging by some of the comments of the training partners of some lifters, their idea of where the line is is very different to mine. This is, of course, going to give those lifters problems at national and international level (as is loose reffing at local comps, which I have witnessed at some - though not in the NW in recent times).

In the context of this meet on the Saturday, I would agree with the earlier poster who said that from the main body of the audience the angle was deceptive and made squats look deeper than they were. With the 90s I watched from the edge of the announcer's table, and (sorry Ian) I personally did not think any of the squats that failed were better than borderline, and very few were that deep. All of them would have been called "probably shallow" in training at our place, anyway.

I can't comment on any other class as I was not in position for their lifts.
JCIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:37 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Rick said:
And there is ALWAYS some doubt. Even if we went over to attaching tiny transmitters to the measurement points of each lifter, they only have a finite level of resolution, and there would be arguments over exactly where to attach them. As it is, different angles and perspectives can make the same borderline squat look very very different.

Surely the onus is on the competitor to ensure there is no level of doubt whatsoeva

I know this is taking it to extremes, but if you watch an Oly lifter squat, there is never any doubt about if they have hit depth

I agree though, I was probably looking at it using a far too simplistic point of view
RickIcon...21-07-2010 @ 15:55 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Post Edited: 21.07.2010 @ 15:55 PM by Rick
JC said:
Surely the onus is on the competitor to ensure there is no level of doubt whatsoeva

I absolutely agree - hence what I was saying about being well in in training!

Joe, for example, should be able to walk away from any squat that he's executed correctly (that "felt right") without looking for the lights, because of the depth he trains to. (And indeed I think he's only ever been failed once on depth - at a Europeans - on a squat he thought was well-executed, and has trained a little bit deeper ever since.) That, to me, seems like the right strategy, rather than the "if you got three whites you were deeper than you should be!" that some coaches and lifters preach.

Moz was a great example of this when he was PL - he was never EVER going to fail a squat on depth (maybe for a three-point landing Wink).
MattGriffIcon...21-07-2010 @ 16:06 
Member 194, 3976 posts
I attended on the Sunday, some of the reffing was off in my opinion. Lifters were getting to over an inch below parallel and having their squats called by refs sitting below the platform and in front of the lifter.

Notably all of these refs were grey old'uns who seem to have lost touch with what lifting is about - an inch below is an inch below and by the rules is a passable squat on depth!

The pauses and start commands on the bench were comical in the morning sessions, I timed one lifter - just over 3 seconds before he got a start comment and he certainly did not appear to even be twitching, and a further second and a half on the chest - again what does this prove? All it does it take away from the lifts - a one second pause is 'recommended' by the IPF granted but the rules state the bar must come to a controlled stop, I don't expect to be able to order, and eat another burger and chips in the time it takes to give a press command.

And while it is great they are doing it, there needed to be more experience on the lifting platform in terms of spotting and loading, Monica Porter had been called out as bar loaded, wraps on ready to go and they hadn't even set the rack up, then couldn't figure out how too raise the stands correctly - this is at a British championships.

The gaffer tape covering the 1st British Championships banner added to the professionalism at the contest.

Well done to all the lifters, they have put the work in and it is they who got robbed by their overpriced fed who can't even provide spotters or a professional banner for a national competition.

The lifting, including many turned down lifts was very good - the set up, reffing and general organsiation was very poor.
Hopefully the GBPF will learn from this and put on what we are used to which is a well run show.
RickIcon...21-07-2010 @ 19:19 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
The spotting and loading (and organisation in general) were faultless on the Saturday, though obviously the warm-up facilities left something to be desired. I'm sorry to hear that they deteriorated.
MarkCleggIcon...22-07-2010 @ 09:16 
knock knock !! who's there ?? OLD SCHOOL SUGDEN
Member 212, 11439 posts
SQ 325, BP 212.5, DL 370
907.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Hey - Have they missed Tom Martin off the results sheet or am i going daft ?
stephenIcon...22-07-2010 @ 09:20 
knows some really strong guys
Member 323, 1436 posts
SQ 305, BP 200, DL 285
790.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
MarkClegg said:Hey - Have they missed Tom Martin off the results sheet or am i going daft ?

I was thinking the same?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions