Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsStrongman Bench

Strongman Bench

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Col_Austin said:
Let's be honest, bench doesn't get included in strongman comps because, generally, strongmen aren't very good at it.

Confused

If bench was a regular strongman event then strongmen would train it hard... and be strong at it!

Strongman events are generally about whole body strength.
Villa_Ste
id like to see more benching in comp, but agree with the others it'd av to look cool. no bars! plus im good at it so it'd be n event id feel confident about winning lol. but it is true, gym goers all relate to benching, and its probablt them that are more likely to be watching strongman comps
whay not spice it up and use a smith machine ?

i'd love some close grip smith machine benchpress , mabie for MAX ?
shanejer
Boar said:whay not spice it up and use a smith machine ?

i'd love some close grip smith machine benchpress , mabie for MAX ?

Can't beat that.
Col_Austin
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Confused
If bench was a regular strongman event then strongmen would train it hard... and be strong at it!

I did go on to suggest that a reason why many strongmen have a poor bench is because they don't train it. On the other hand, there seem to be quite a few of you that have taken up strongman after not achieving the level of success you might have hoped for in powerlifting, so simply training hard at something is never a guarantee you will actually end up being any good at it.
I actually enjoy bench pressing, I'm gash at it, but I do enjoy it.

I dont particularly like it as a strongman event because I find it boring to watch. I dont hate bench, I just dont like watching it.
Col_Austin said:
On the other hand, there seem to be quite a few of you that have taken up strongman after not achieving the level of success you might have hoped for in powerlifting, so simply training hard at something is never a guarantee you will actually end up being any good at it.

I'd say that most strongmen always wanted to be strongmen, and I'd say that very few are failed powerlifters looking for an alternative.
Villa_Ste
powerlifting is something i find quite boring to watch, find strongman loads more interesting
i have done incline log a few times, did crap but couldn't press f**k all at the time, i don't see a problem if it is in comps, no more boring than a viking press imo. i quite like it as it adds variety
terryhollands said:
i have done incline log a few times, did crap but couldn't press f**k all at the time, i don't see a problem if it is in comps, no more boring than a viking press imo. i quite like it as it adds variety

Yeah, Viking Press can get a bit boring when it's too light.

I'm not a bench fan, but I can't come up with a reason why it should NEVER appear in strongman. Maybe it's one of those events that should crop up once in a blue moon. I think on a pivot starting at the bottom position is the best set-up (as in that Swedish comp that was designed for Magnus to win!).

If it starts cropping up in u105 comps any time soon I'll be f**ked!!
Axle bench

Or

Safe bench press/yoke bench press

The latter might take out a few teeth
drew said:
Safe bench press/yoke bench press

DANGEROUS!!
It goes without saying, of course, that equipped bench press should NEVER crop up in strongman. Let's leave that in the powerlifting world.
Martin1956 said:We all know bench is the ultimate exercise (although some don't acknowledge it). The first question you get asked when people talk about the gym is 'how much can you bench?' So why no bench in strongman comps - ever?! You do squats and deads from time to time, but not the ultimate exercise! Why?

Strongman is about practical strength, things you can do in real life. Deadlifting is something you do when you pick something from the floor, squatting is something we do when lifting someone in the back or something, but benching? when do you bench in real life?

Pressing in the horizontal position is not a natural thing.

I think that's the reason...
Col_Austin
tlast2O12dude said:
Strongman is about practical strength, things you can do in real life

Things like rolling cars, pressing stones and logs above your head, or pulling trucks/trains/aeroplanes??? Strongman is about over-developing strength to do things most people cannot do in real life!

Bench is no more or less unusual that any other type of contrived lift and, as has already been pointed out, is something more people, especially those who have set foot in a gym, are likely to be able to identify with than stuff like Conan's, Wheel, Tyre Flipping or the Super Yolk.

You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsStrongman Bench
Return to top View Desktop Site