REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 176 guests
You are here: HomeForumking_mob → View All Posts

View All Posts: king_mob

» wide vs close for raw squatting (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 15:06 
Post Edited: 03.09.2012 @ 15:17 PM by king_mob
Yeah true dat Fazc, it helps to not suffer from paralysis by analysis.

Still, today i pushed my stance out more than i normally would. I could feel it really deep in my amish child bearing hips, but it helped me get into the groove loads better than when i tried to keep my stance in. So i think im gonna stick with this form for the remainder of this training block, the block im in at the minute is really technique focused anyway so its good to get the form down towards the start.

I particularly agree with this -

Fazc said:For raw competition, just use whatever allows you to lift most weight, to the right depth without hurting yourself.

I dont think the difference between equipped and unequipped and how it effect squat stance is half as big as some people on the interwebs make out, case in point -

milsy said:
I squat close because I have a relatively weak back so it puts my back in a better position when driving up also I have pretty weak hips so rely on my quads in the bottom

funnily enough milsey i watched a few of your squat videos from your training journal for some pointers on form, but iv since realised we are actually really different in size and shape so i struggled with such a close stance squat, particularly staying as upright as you do, im surprised you say you squat like this because your backs weak - i would have thought the opposite.
» newbie volume block (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 15:01 
Post Edited: 03.09.2012 @ 15:02 PM by king_mob
due to a friends missus dumping him after 9 years, im AGAIN nursing a hangover today, but lucky enough im just doing the 2 week of the volume block, which is low intensity anyway.

im really liking this template at the minute, its helping me tweak my form and by the end of the 6 week cycle i should be squatting for 5 what i can only do for a single.

# week 3

monday - 03/09/12

squat 4x8 @82.5kg
bench 4x8 @67.5kg
deadlift 6x4 @115kg
» wide vs close for raw squatting (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 11:36 
cool, thanks again for the advice, it makes sense. iv got weirdly mobile child bearing hips and zero to less than zero ankle flexibility, so i may try switching to a wide stance squat for a while.
» wide vs close for raw squatting (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 11:22 
thanks for the advice pal, out of curiosity whats your reasoning behind that?
» wide vs close for raw squatting (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 11:13 
yeah true mate i probably did lol.

i think the reason im asking in the first place is im trying to tweak my squat form, at the minute im doing the starting strength style low bar squat, with my feet just outside my shoulders.

basically iv got long legs and a short torso, so sometimes i think id be more suited to wide squatting, but if im putting myself at some kind of mechanical disadvantage then i dont want to waste time unlearning something.
» wide vs close for raw squatting (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 10:52 
so there seems to be two (very very general) styles of approaching the squat, the one i see the most from UK lifers is the closer stance style, a little bit like ed coan's way of squatting.

then theres the style you see a lot from US lifters, and mostly equipped, with the feet out way past the shoulders and the shins completely straight.

interested in which out of the two styles people have had experience with (successful or not)??

now, i know everyone has a different body type (long legs/short legs, long torso compared to arms etc etc) so everyone will have to approach the squat differently to get the best leverages, but does the difference between squatting equipped vs squatting unequipped also come into it, or is it really just about getting into the strongest position for your particular anthropometry??
» Feature Length Documentaries (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 10:42 
Post Edited: 03.09.2012 @ 10:43 AM by king_mob
this i thought was one of the best iv seen in awhile.

» Metal/Hardcore/Alternative Music Thread (Go to post)03-09-2012 @ 10:14 
Post Edited: 03.09.2012 @ 10:22 AM by king_mob

» newbie volume block (Go to post)31-08-2012 @ 13:54 
got drunk as a skunk last night, so fully expected to get pinned under 60kg today.

downed two rockstar recoverys this morning to try and get myself back into some sort of state for lifting, and caught a buzz like cheap speed. ran to the gym and proceeded to PR like a madman.

squat 105kg x5
bench 80kg x4 (strong reps as well, kept my arse on the bench throughout, didnt have the gas for the 5th rep however)

deadlift platform was being used so went downstairs to the dumbell gym and did some db bench for 3x20 with a really light weight, just to rehab my shoulders a bit more than anything.

deadlift platform was still being used so called it a day. still, well happy all things considered, stupid of me to get drunk before a training day but at least i nutted up and worked through it.
» newbie volume block (Go to post)29-08-2012 @ 15:05 
squat 100kg x5
bench 80kg x2 (got 3 but last rep was such a grinder that my arse started to come off the bench, so im being a nazi and not counting it)
deadlift 130kg x3

so looks like coming back after the last layoff means iv lost abit of strength, or maybe i was just knackered after the squats. Either way today convinced me my current template is the way to go.
» what can I buy? (Go to post)29-08-2012 @ 09:46 
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273105764 this stuff is pretty nice, but expensive

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266166373 thats twice the protein and not much more expensive

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261781844 if your doing a low carb diet make sure your getting calories from fat otherwise your basically crash dieting, cant think of a better source for fat than some nice chorizo, used to eat this at work out of the packet

Best thing bar none was the £4 packet of jumbo bbq chicken legs from marks & spencers, which came to about 100g of protein for the whole pack. It said something daft like 50g of protein per leg on the back but i think they were counting the bone (which is big) in the weight when they calculated, so we worked it out as an even 100g. Still, for £4 your laughing.
» soy protein , opinions , (Go to post)28-08-2012 @ 20:39 
fair enough joe, healthy skepticism keeps us from becoming sheeple, but i only gave the above link as it was the simplest explanation of the subject i could find with actual references.

heres some other links which could be considered a little less biased.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378106

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
» How to bench with perfect form LOL (Go to post)28-08-2012 @ 18:26 
whats worse is when people bench like this for years, make some pitiful gains but still get so ingrained with the way they perform the lift they think other people have it wrong.

i've only been training a year or so, and one thing i cant wait to get past is the voice of the experienced gym rat giving me incredibly bad advice on form.

example - tank bodybuilder, obviously "uses the muscletech range of supplements", telling me my low bar squat was going to f*ck my back up, and then proceeding to coach me for the next 10 f*cking minutes on how to quarter squat, close stance, high bar. I tried telling him that probably wouldn't stand up to scrutiny in competition, im unsure whether or not he heard me as his traps were blocking the intake of sound to his ears.
» soy protein , opinions , (Go to post)28-08-2012 @ 18:19 
yeah, joni is right on the money, dont buy any hype about soy giving you tits and causing your penis to retract into a rudimentary clitoris.

theres a ton of info out there on the interwebs but the best and most concise article iv read is this one - http://blog.predatornutrition.com/2012/05/04/soy-protein-and-i...

basically it can be good if your not relying on it alone, like any protein or indeed foodstuff.
» Good Bulking Routine (Go to post)28-08-2012 @ 18:13 
Rash said:Do you guys know how I will measure up against others my bodyweight?

Actually i think your lifts are pretty sick, your squatting 2.5 your bodyweight and benching nearly twice your bodyweight, i think miles is bang on when he said you could happily stay at your weight for competing.

Its a tough break with your thyroid problem but whenever i get frustrated with my progress i always remember the cliche "powerlifting is a marathon not a race" and eating 5000kcal per day, every day, you will make gains.

If you want shortcuts to calories a few things iv found that worked for me were switching to whole milk for sure, also work in some cheat days where you let yourself go an pig out on junk food (dont make it every day though unless your after type two diabetes).

You are here: HomeForumking_mob → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions