Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsUKSC Englands strongest Man southern Qualifier 2012

UKSC Englands strongest Man southern Qualifier 2012

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Personally, I think the 4 guys should be asked to do the midlands, and have 6 qualify from there and 6 from north (numbers willing).

To have 4 guys qualify for ESM through doing nothing more than putting their name on a piece of paper (I know this is no fault of theirs) devalues the ESM considerably imo.

I'd be very suprised if you asked those 4 guys, if they weren't up for that. Having met them, I think they'd relish the challenge, rather than qualification by default
ministry
As we try very hard to be we have been open about this.
Had we said nothing and these guys gone through no one would be any the wiser. The bottom line is no one else entered.
None of these guys asked for it this way or want it this way but UKSC also have a rule that you can only qualify in your area ie northerners do the north qualifier. It would be equally unfair to change this just because there was a lack of interest or ability in the South. The northern and midland guys still have the same opportunity to qualify as before. No one is saying this is ideal and it is not what we will be looking at doing in the future. Last years Southern qualifier had over 20 guys in it but in reality only 5 or 6 were ever going to be in contention. The guys going through are in reality the top we have n the south at the moment
ministry said:As we try very hard to be we have been open about this.
Had we said nothing and these guys gone through no one would be any the wiser. The bottom line is no one else entered.
None of these guys asked for it this way or want it this way but UKSC also have a rule that you can only qualify in your area ie northerners do the north qualifier. It would be equally unfair to change this just because there was a lack of interest or ability in the South. The northern and midland guys still have the same opportunity to qualify as before. No one is saying this is ideal and it is not what we will be looking at doing in the future. Last years Southern qualifier had over 20 guys in it but in reality only 5 or 6 were ever going to be in contention. The guys going through are in reality the top we have n the south at the moment

Thats fair enough......

Here's hopeing ESM is the success it appears to have been last year
Great shame, was looking forward to this, but there we are.
Steve has been open throughout, and fully explained the situation, so lets look towards the final in June, yes it is 'right darn sarf' as they say, but its a cracking venue, not a bad journey and right close to the M20.
Post Edited: 22.04.2012 @ 21:11 PM by terryhollands
ignore what i said
Wootten
Finding out from others is always a shame as I was not contacted with these decisions. If that is the end result then good luck to the boys and I hope it all goes well. But the term I really disagree with is being labeled a non contender in the south. Out of that line up Paul Carter is the most decorated and quite deservedly. He is a properly strong fella and a good friend of mine. But if I'm brutally honest the last two times I've competed against him we drew at the Excell and I beat him at Dartfords strongest man. If that labels me a non contender in the south good luck to everyone else.
Wootten
Typically minutes after I post I find out that I am getting a spot but just hadn't been told yet. Ha never mind better do some back pedalling I suppose
So 5 guys qualify?
BigT
Post Edited: 23.04.2012 @ 12:21 PM by BigT
It would HAVE to be only 4, otherwise it really would make the whole thing farcical!
BigT
Post Edited: 23.04.2012 @ 12:20 PM by BigT
Balls! Dbl Post
BigT
Have we got a list of the 4 that have qualified? Thought it was Paul, Chris, Lloyd and Will, but that seems to have changed.
BigT said:It would HAVE to be only 4, otherwise it really would make the whole thing farcical!

Is it not anyway?

North: 10 guys compete for 4 places.
Midlands: 12 guys compete for 4 places.
South 0 guys compete for 5 places.

Although possibly it is actually 4 from the south, I don't know yet.

I can see why they didn't hold the qualifier, but there were better options available in my opiniion:

Allocate a proportionally representative number of qualification spots based on the amount of competitors.

Open up the southern qualifier for 4 guys on a first come first served basis from other regions.

Ask the 4 guys from the south to compete at the midlands / north and weigh the number of qualification places accordingly.

It's a far from ideal scenario, I appreciate that, but I'm sure it could have been managed differently.
Post Edited: 23.04.2012 @ 17:09 PM by JC
VanillaGorilla said:
Ask the 4 guys from the south to compete at the midlands / north and weigh the number of qualification places accordingly.

I suggested this initially...definitely the best option IMO

The biggest shame for me is, as I said a few pages earlier, this is a "Stella" competition, with good history and great TV exposure for those making UKSC, UK strongman appears to be on the up with British Giants Live etc., yet we cant find more than 4-5 Southerners to compete in an open comp!?

I would struggle like f**k to get a rep with 1 of the 3 elimnators (and one would be borderline), but if I was down south, I would have give it a shot!
JC said:[/
I would struggle like f**k to get a rep with 1 of the 3 elimnators (and one would be borderline), but if I was down south, I would have give it a shot!

I think there is not enough guys with that attitude. People seem to be too worried about failing! It is all good experience even if you don't do so well. When I started out I did every comp I got the chance to, some went well, some went s**t but I learned a lot every time.
terryhollands said:
JC said:[/

I think there is not enough guys with that attitude.

Pussies! Grin

You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsUKSC Englands strongest Man southern Qualifier 2012
Return to top View Desktop Site