Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWhen will England score some tries?

When will England score some tries?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JC said:
Rugby Union
Until the pack generates quick ball, not very soon
Slow ball, compounded by the fact that Wilko stands so deep
Ball needas to be faster and Wilko needs to be flatter
That being said, even in his hey day, Wilko was not overly creative

That would make a difference. I agree about Wilko not being overly creative too, Greenwoods vision made a huge impact. I guess thats why England were banking on Flutey adding a lot when he came back to the side.

England have some very good players and some distinctly average ones who I wouldnt have in the squad, let alone the first XV. That being said, even the team that he picks should be capable of beating most.

I would get rid of John Wells and Brian Smith straight away. They have shown themsevles to be tactically and technically inept. Wells is stuck in the 90s and I dont agree with how he coaches or his attitudes on the game.

I would agree that the performances havent been up to standard but I would go further and say that the game plan isnt up to standard.

Shame really, we have some very exciting young players in England.
Post Edited: 03.03.2010 @ 16:27 PM by JC
Cuddles said:
That would make a difference. I agree about Wilko not being overly creative too, Greenwoods vision made a huge impact. I guess thats why England were banking on Flutey adding a lot when he came back to the side.
England have some very good players and some distinctly average ones who I wouldnt have in the squad, let alone the first XV. That being said, even the team that he picks should be capable of beating most.
I would get rid of John Wells and Brian Smith straight away. They have shown themsevles to be tactically and technically inept. Wells is stuck in the 90s and I dont agree with how he coaches or his attitudes on the game.
I would agree that the performances havent been up to standard but I would go further and say that the game plan isnt up to standard.
Shame really, we have some very exciting young players in England.

Johnson should also Pick Ben Foden

Looked a lot more dangerous when he came on Saturday

Wells is a bag of s**t, stuck in the early 90s (Edit: you have alreday said that lol)

Our work at the breakdown is poor, which is his domain
Rugby at best- is a complete waste of time.
For me the most frustrating thing has been the comments after the games. 7 years of hearing that we are watching a "side in transition" wears somewhat thin. And I realise that unfortunately rugby is becoming like football with the need to say the right thing after the game, but I wonder how Borthwick managed to keep a straight face after the Italy game whilst saying that "England produced some fantastic stuff".

I appreciate what Italy do-if they want to sneak a win in the six nations they need to make the game hard up front, slow down everything possible at the break-down and cut off the outside channels all the time, but come on. A really good team would flog the italians regardless.

It would be nice to see England using the huge pool of players available in a more productive manner, but it seems to be a problem.
Question - When will England score some tries?

My answer - I don't give a f**k!
JC said:
Johnson should also Pick Ben Foden

He's a talent for sure, but right now he has very bad habit of running down blind alleys and when he hits the line at fullback he tends to drift and choke his wingers space. That might work when playing against Worcester and Leeds but it wont cut the mustard against strong international teams.

That being said, he has a huge amount of ability and he's shagging one of the Saturdays so cant be all bad.
Cuddles said:
He's a talent for sure, but right now he has very bad habit of running down blind alleys and when he hits the line at fullback he tends to drift and choke his wingers space. That might work when playing against Worcester and Leeds but it wont cut the mustard against strong international teams.
That being said, he has a huge amount of ability and he's shagging one of the Saturdays so cant be all bad.

Maybe, but the sooner we pick players on form and not past performances, the better

On the evidence of this year, Ashton & Foden should start. Armitage is just back from injury and bang out of form!

OK this guys may make mistakes, but at least if they do, it will be whilst trying to be positive

Look at Shane Williams, gifted the Frencg a try in the 1st half last week. Would I put up with that for what he produced in the 2nd half? Of course, I would
It really does all come down to a few things IMO, one the pack don't produce quick ball, two Danny Care seems to take about a million steps before he passes so again slowing the ball down and 3 Johnny standing so deep. It is difficult to play flat when you are getting s**tty slow ball! IMO the biggest issue is the forwards not clearing the ball quick enough! In years gone by our forwards have been so dominant but not these days.

Another thing I think is our players are like Robots! They have no flair what so ever. They know their jobs because they have been told what to do but there is no awareness of what is going on around them
Not saying he doesnt deserve a spot, just that he isnt the finished article quite yet. Huge potential though.

Agree on Armitage though, although i'd go further, I dont rate him as anything other than a great athlete.

I agree re form, although to be fair, Monye and Cueto have both been in very good form for their clubs so I'm not against their selection. I would pick Ashton against Scotland though to give him a chance.

There are lots of selections that annoy me, but what annoys me the most is the bench selction. Your bench should comprise players who can come on and change a game for you. Dropping Steffon Armitage and replacing him with Joe Worsley is just dumb. Worsley for all his skills and commitment is not going to come on and change a game for you, Armitage can.

It sums up Johnson, play it safe, pick players you trust.
terryhollands said:
Another thing I think is our players are like Robots! They have no flair what so ever. They know their jobs because they have been told what to do but there is no awareness of what is going on around them

I agree with the point, but I'm not sure its the players faults over the coaches. I watch a hell of a lot of rugby, and believe me these players are producing some outstanding rugby week in week out, and in big comps like the Heineken Cup.

They are shackled by John Wells and his completely outdated old English style of playing rugby.
Cuddles said:
I agree with the point, but I'm not sure its the players faults over the coaches. I watch a hell of a lot of rugby, and believe me these players are producing some outstanding rugby week in week out, and in big comps like the Heineken Cup.
They are shackled by John Wells and his completely outdated old English style of playing rugby.

Quite possibly mate!

To be honest the selection that annoys me the most is Steve Borthwick. I don't rate him as a player and I never have. They go on about the work he does that you don't see, I spend quite alot of time watching him as a player and really can't get why he is in there nevermind being Captain.

It's good to see them throwing in some young guys, namely the props but let's see him do it in some other positions.

I've always thought Johnny would make a better centre than fly half to be honest.
Cuddles said:

Ben Foden was in my class at uni, not sure why he wanted to be an international rugby player instead of training with Sugden Barbell?? Confused
I'm with terry first point there is no flair or imagination. Just slow dull play with a very rare flurish from the likes of monye

I do like flood though instead of jonny. I knows he's smallerand uglier but he dictates play well and can be a bit cheeky
Post Edited: 04.03.2010 @ 15:30 PM by JC
terryhollands said:
Quite possibly mate!
To be honest the selection that annoys me the most is Steve Borthwick. I don't rate him as a player and I never have. They go on about the work he does that you don't see, I spend quite alot of time watching him as a player and really can't get why he is in there nevermind being Captain.
It's good to see them throwing in some young guys, namely the props but let's see him do it in some other positions.
I've always thought Johnny would make a better centre than fly half to be honest.

Borthwick runs the lineout pretty well, but apart from that is pretty ordinary

Is work in broken play is pretty non existant. He is, however, helped by a lack of outstanding candidates to fill the position alongside Shaw

As Olly or Terry alluded to, Englands biggest problem is they cannot paly what is in front of them. That is down to the players to do that IMO
There's plenty of flair there, they're just shackled when playing for England for some reason. Armitage is a creative and dangerous player with his head-up for London Irish, but for England he just can't do it.

All this talk of personnel is for nothing until the coaches are out of the door. Sure, Wells and Ashton are doing a s**t job but presumably Johnson is telling them to coach in a certain way. Either Johnson can't recognise that the brand of rugby England play is old-fashioned, unimaginative and simply not good enough and needs to be pushed the door, or he needs to push his coaches.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWhen will England score some tries?
Return to top View Desktop Site