You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitDiabeetus Question

Diabeetus Question

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

matthewvcIconDiabeetus Question08-03-2023 @ 19:19 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3232 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
anyone on here been told they're "pre-diabetic"?
I've had bloods done and came back with HbA1c at 42 mmol
everything else is good, HDL/LDL, Test/FSH/LH, ALT, AST and so on
diet is around 4000kcal and BW 104.5kg with a nice layer of fat (fatty natty atm)
Is this an anomaly from just stuffing a ton of cals in
or something requiring a fundamental change in diet (quite carb heavy)
FatpeteIcon...08-03-2023 @ 21:08 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17896 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
I have. It's a few years back now but the doc went into a panic and wanted to give me all sorts of medication which I declined, much to his alarm.

I forget the numbers but their reasoning was that 99% of folk who hit the pre-diabetic number went on in time to become diabetic.

I stopped putting honey in my breakfast porridge and started using sweeteners in tea and coffee instead of sugar and the whole thing just went away
BigMaccaIcon...08-03-2023 @ 22:44 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9943 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.03.2023 @ 22:52 PM by BigMacca
matthewvc said:anyone on here been told they're "pre-diabetic"?
I've had bloods done and came back with HbA1c at 42 mmol
everything else is good, HDL/LDL, Test/FSH/LH, ALT, AST and so on
diet is around 4000kcal and BW 104.5kg with a nice layer of fat (fatty natty atm)
Is this an anomaly from just stuffing a ton of cals in
or something requiring a fundamental change in diet (quite carb heavy)

Being pre diabetic and slamming loads of carbs is only going to end one way. Full on diabetes!

Basically, your body can't handle your carb intake (either tissues are becoming desensitive to insulin, or much more rarely you may not be producing enough insulin).

The best thing you can do is control this through diet and, at this stage, it's possible to reverse the condition (assuming it's deceased insulin sensitivity that's the cause).

You need to do your own reading, but basically your want to be ultra low carb (under 30g a day) for a a spell (4-6) weeks, then start introducing carbs once a week for a couple of meals and monitoring you blood glucose levels over the following 24 hours to see how they react and reassess from there.

If you do nothing, you'll need in Metformin before long, then increasing dosages of before it becomes infective and you require insulin.

There is hope. My Dad was right at the end of the pre-diabetic scale when he was 66 and they wanted him go straight to insulin.

We changed his diet and he's still going strong 11 years later. He's recovered enough insulin sensitivity to be able to eat carbs 3 times a week and still have acceptable markers
AMH_PowerIcon...09-03-2023 @ 14:31 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Thought I'd chime in with this. I am slightly hypo in the AM/fasted (3mmol); but my insulin sensitivity is sky high.

I supplemented for increased insulin sensitivity and glycogen retention; so its sort of my own doing but I'd prefer this than being diabetic!

Check out Berberine, its almost as strong as metformin and is OTC stuff, can get it from amazon etc and has s**t loads of literature on its effectiveness. This would be my first stop (other than weight management) for high blood sugar/HbA1c. 6 months after stopping berberine I'm still on the lower end. Sometimes the beta cells just need a kick up the arse...
AdamTIcon...10-03-2023 @ 12:59 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
Post Edited: 10.03.2023 @ 13:07 PM by AdamT
Probably not an answer many want to hear who love strength, but perhaps it's time to drop the calories by at least 25% and follow something like a Mediterranean diet and try some fasting

It should definitely lower your blood sugar
My Father was pre diabetic and was able to control it for many years by eating a clean diet and doing some fasting

Since lockdown ended I have tried to really take care of my health. I still do some strength training, but Marital arts and general fitness are more important to me

I'm squatting 180-200 and deadlifting 200-220 now and I rarely bench, but do more OHP instead.

I guess I was never going to be the strongest guy ever, but I lost whatever passion I had to get stronger. I feel so much fitter now, physically and mentally
matthewvcIcon...16-03-2023 @ 17:54 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3232 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Definitely some good advice thanks all - 4K cals has piled on some weight and strength, but definitely time to clean up to lose some blubber and look at berberine too. Back to Thailand next week so I'll be eating radically different diet once there and it won't be 4000 cals for sure.
AMH_PowerIcon...17-03-2023 @ 16:09 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Or if you are looking for something even more effective, there's peptides that outright undo prediabetes; namely MOTS-C... defo warrants some research!

MOTS-C levels are proportionate to insulin sensitivity, and inversely proportionate to hba1c, HOMA-IR and blood glucose. It's literally like pushing the T2DM cascading snowball back up the hill.
Martin1956Icon...19-03-2023 @ 12:40 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7742 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
I was told I was, didn't take it seriously enough, and am now Type 2. If I had changed my diet sooner, I wouldn't be type 2 now. With me, just cutting out cola, cakes and chocolate would have done the trick, but I didn't. My advice is drop the carbs right down, starting today, your health is more important that how much you can lift.
matthewvcIcon...21-03-2023 @ 13:52 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3232 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Martin1956 said:I was told I was, didn't take it seriously enough, and am now Type 2. If I had changed my diet sooner, I wouldn't be type 2 now. With me, just cutting out cola, cakes and chocolate would have done the trick, but I didn't. My advice is drop the carbs right down, starting today, your health is more important that how much you can lift.

yes, i've reduced the carbs and cut the worst high GL/GI stuff (esp the maltodextrin loaded mass gainer).
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...21-03-2023 @ 14:15 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22058 posts
Reducing my sugar/carb intake (and food intake in general) has done wonders for my health and wellbeing.

Health over strength any day!
AdamTIcon...22-03-2023 @ 15:04 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Reducing my sugar/carb intake (and food intake in general) has done wonders for my health and wellbeing.

Health over strength any day!

Couldn't agree more

No point being the strongest man in the hospital or the Cemetery
The_Lone_WolfIcon...22-03-2023 @ 15:09 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2997 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
In the last 2 months I have gone from 117kg down to my current weight of 108kg.

A simple approach of keto diet and fasting.

I have an office job, and I don't lift any more, so my requirements for carbs as my primary energy source are small. Plus, carb foods make me overeat very quickly.

I do not think that keto or fasting are magic, but I feel good on both and I'm losing weight. I am still tracking my calories, but all in all, finding something that works for you is important.
RickIcon...23-03-2023 @ 17:41 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Martin1956 said:I was told I was, didn't take it seriously enough, and am now Type 2. If I had changed my diet sooner, I wouldn't be type 2 now. With me, just cutting out cola, cakes and chocolate would have done the trick, but I didn't. My advice is drop the carbs right down, starting today, your health is more important that how much you can lift.

Echo all of this.
billynomatesIcon...23-03-2023 @ 20:47 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
The_Lone_Wolf said:In the last 2 months I have gone from 117kg down to my current weight of 108kg.

A simple approach of keto diet and fasting.

I have an office job, and I don't lift any more, so my requirements for carbs as my primary energy source are small. Plus, carb foods make me overeat very quickly.

I do not think that keto or fasting are magic, but I feel good on both and I'm losing weight. I am still tracking my calories, but all in all, finding something that works for you is important.

Your past feasting exploits, as documented here, were legendary. Is it much of a culture shock to now be dieting and losing weight?
The_Lone_WolfIcon...24-03-2023 @ 11:26 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2997 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
billynomates said:
Your past feasting exploits, as documented here, were legendary. Is it much of a culture shock to now be dieting and losing weight?

Thank you haha, I have certainly done some damage in the past not only to myself, but also buffet restaurants.

The honest answer is that I sought professional help for food addiction, but my GP shot me down in classic GP style. I ended up doing my own therapy and learned tools to help me with my own eating issues. However, it does still creep up on me quite often and I have to take a step back and have word with myself. The strongest tool I learned was self-accountability and the art of discipline.

I don’t think it is a culture shock because I still eat foods that I like, just try my best to manage my intake and not eat everything in sight. Last night I cooked a 2kg beef joint, and once rested and served, I ate 500g of beef and consumed all the resting juices. I felt fairly full and content in my stomach, but my brain was delayed and was trying to make me eat more. I declined and stood strong, and maintained my discipline.

The current situation I find myself is so far has been quite easy to manage. My weight has gone up and down over the last 10 years, with my lowest weight of 93kg when I competed in a comp, up to my a ghastly 120kg. None of that is quality tissue mind, but I do carry it quite well.

Regardless, my health is currently a focus and I do not need to be the weight I am now at 40 years of age. It offers me no benefit, and it certainly is not needed for sporting performance. Just a fat mess sadly. All of that comes down to a life long issue with overeating and gluttony (Which is why I gravitated to strongman and powerlifting to 'justify' the eating).

My advice to anyone past 40 is to really take a good hard and long look in the mirror and to be honest with yourself, which is often the hardest person to be honest with. Health truly is wealth!

Find a diet, or at least a nutritional plan that you like, and that you can follow. Be more active, and try to take positive steps to change things. Keep an eye on markers such as blood pressure, weight, body fat levels, quality and amount of sleep, blood work if you can. I‘ve got 4 kids ranging from 16 to almost 2, and I’d rather they didn’t have to come to my funeral for another 40 plus years.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitDiabeetus Question
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions